DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Finished the Kelly, Priest, & Simone runs on Deadpool. Kelly's run was great and easily the best. Priest's run was fun, but it didn't really advance Wade at all. It sort of felt like he had was a bit afraid to be following up Kelly so he didn't really try to at all and went more comedy. Skipped Palmiotti & Tieri so I'm not quite sure what led to Gail's run. Honestly, its sort of hard to consider what Gail did a real run seeing as how Agent X was in reality a new character so she really did only have the one arc which was fun but nothing special. I enjoyed Agent X though I thought it got a little off track on the issues Gail didn't write. Next up is the final volume of the Duggan/Posehn run.

Read Cable/Deadpool. The first arc is just okay but it really picks up after that.

Finished the Kelly, Priest, & Simone runs on Deadpool. Kelly's run was great and easily the best. Priest's run was fun, but it didn't really advance Wade at all. It sort of felt like he had was a bit afraid to be following up Kelly so he didn't really try to at all and went more comedy. Skipped Palmiotti & Tieri so I'm not quite sure what led to Gail's run. Honestly, its sort of hard to consider what Gail did a real run seeing as how Agent X was in reality a new character so she really did only have the one arc which was fun but nothing special. I enjoyed Agent X though I thought it got a little off track on the issues Gail didn't write. Next up is the final volume of the Duggan/Posehn run.

Read Cable/Deadpool. The first arc is just okay but it really picks up after that.

Oh its on the list. I'm just waiting for the books to arrive at my library.

Wasn't real sure where to talk about this so I figured here was as good as place as any. I'm much more of a DC fan than Marvel. Outside of X Men. A friend of mine was buying each of the Maximum Carnage books as they came and thats what got me into comics...that and Wolverine. I could have SWORN that Moon Knight was in that book but there were so many people in that book that I can't seem to recall if he was or wasn't. 

Everything I've read about the guy is that he's a supernatural, split personality, Batman/Bruce Wayne? So does he operate in the more "supernatural" sect of the Marvel Universe? Even if seemingly a lot of those guys are still pretty anchored in the "mainstream" sect. With Blade and Morbius and what not being fairly strongly tied to Spiderman. 

I've always liked the characters look even if when I wiki him its hard to really get an understanding of his character. 

I knew he was getting a new series well in 2017 so I guess still atleast a year and a half away I'd imagine. I just wasn't sure if this would be a show focusing on more supernatural elements of the MU or if this was going to be just another street level Marvel show which I think I'll be ready to move on from after Daredevil, Punisher, Defenders, etc.

A friend of mine was buying each of the Maximum Carnage books as they came and thats what got me into comics...that and Wolverine. 

Oh my God, you poor child.  Here, sit down.

*hands Stennick a TPB*

Here, this is called Zot! by Scott McCloud.  Read it right now.  This will help stabilize you and show you that comics are a wonderful and diverse medium.

*rummages through the DVDVR comics collection*

Okay, I've got Camelot 3000, the omnibus editions of Love & Rockets, and Sandman: Seasons of Mists.  Hang in there, buddy.  We're gonna show you what comics really are.

*looks around widly*

Where the hell is Animal Man #26?!!?  And the "Brotherhood of Dada" issues from Morrison's Doom Patrol run?  

• Like 2

A friend of mine was buying each of the Maximum Carnage books as they came and thats what got me into comics...that and Wolverine. I could have SWORN that Moon Knight was in that book but there were so many people in that book that I can't seem to recall if he was or wasn't.

Everything I've read about the guy is that he's a supernatural, split personality, Batman/Bruce Wayne? So does he operate in the more "supernatural" sect of the Marvel Universe?

I've always liked the characters look even if when I wiki him its hard to really get an understanding of his character.

Moon Knight started off as Batman: Werewolf Hunter. As others pointed out his supernatural aspects come and go, and his Hollywood dissociative identity disorder was added in his solo run. IMO he works best as a straight crime fighter whose supernatural status may be legit or delusional. The Charlie Huston run from about ten years ago was fantastic INO.

The Moon Night Netflix series thing was an April Fool's joke by a site that's been seeing circulation again recently. This is becoming a problem with digital April Fool's jokes on sites that don't mark them as such once April 2 hits.

I was pretty into Moon Knight as a kid. I still remember the arc where he discovers Khonshu was a god of justice rather than vengeance. Which I thought was an amazing reveal as a kid and subsequently pissed when he showed up later and it was totally ignored.

I missed the AFD joke (and didn't even really register that the prior poster was talking about a TV show). Too bad; I would absolutely 100% watch a Moon Knight show if it were able to synthesize the best aspects of the classic Moench stuff and the 00s Huston take (I loved Ellis's 6-issue run, but a springboard for a TV show it is not.)  Marc is a character I never gave a shit about in the old days, and only really got attached to in the last ten years. 

Speaking as a Canadian for whom that's almost $8 now (probably more at a brick and mortar store since there's no sales tax at Comixology) I'm definitely finally feeling the weight of price increases.

For reference the weakness of our dollar in the 90s had a lot of comics at the $4-5 mark. When they went up in the US our dollar was at or near par and thus even at $4 comics were less than they'd been since the early 90s. Now our dollar has tanked again (for hilarious political reasons) *and* prices have crept up with $5 for 40 pages being common so for the first time as an adult comics are more expensive than when I was a kid.