DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Frank Miller's Daredevil is a must. If you're only going to check out one volume of it, I recommend Man Without Fear with John Romita Jr. It's actually my favourite Frank Miller comic period.

Bendis' run is beloved and very good but I prefer the Brubaker/Diggle stuff that followed. Nocenti is interesting but her run is patchwork in terms of what's in print. What I've read of Waid's run is very good. And I know it's not popular, but I actually enjoy Kevin Smith's run.

For Wolverine, check out Jason Aaron's run for sure. Otherwise there's not a lot standing out as *amazing* to me except some 90s stuff that is probably more nostalgia than anything.

• Like 1

Also check out J. M. DeMatteis' brief run on Daredevil where he had the unenviable task of undoing all of D.G. Chichester's idiotic "Matt fakes his death, wears an ugly grey and red costume" story arc that was done to cash in on the Death of Superman hysteria, AND at the same time arc weld Miller's "Man Without Fear" mini-series into canon proper.  

This was probably JDM's last really good work before the Spider-Clone lunacy seemingly ruined him as a comics writer.

The Kesel run on DD is far too shirt, but absolutely wonderful.

Having Matt & Foggy become fashion designers was a really weird editorial decision.

• Like 1

Start with Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil vol.1, precede to read every subsequent DD comic you can find.

More seriously, Miller's run is one of the defining books in creating modern comics, the Bendis run is maybe BMB's career best, Brubaker, Nocienti, and Waid's are all great.

• Like 1

Good Daredevil:

The Frank Miller stuff ranges from good to great, with Born Again being possibly the best Campbell Hero's Quest style story Mavel ever published.

The criminally under appreciated Karl Kesel run has never been collected but is such a good read. A lot of how Mark Waid approached DD reminds me of th Kesel run.

I think most of the Bendis run is damn good with only maybe 2 arcs being skipable.

Everything from Brubaker-Waid is just some of the best superhero comics of the last 10+ years

If you want a great early DD story,  DD Vol 1 #47 is usually the Stan Lee story people point ot most for being a great book while being a tad heavyhandd with its message (at least heavy handed by modern standards). It has great Gene Colan art and is one of those books I think Stan really hit out of the park. It has bee nrepublished a few times in different trades.

I wish Marvel would reprint the Jester saga from DD Vol 1 42-46. It was an attempt to give Hornhead a Batman style arch nemesis

James

• Like 1

Hercules #1 is solid but unspectacular fun. I like the basic concept of "Herc decides to get away from the hard-partying goof image he's acquired and remind everyone that he has thousands more years of experience heroing than anyone else"--he's still recognizably the same man as prior writers have given us, but a little bit wiser and more weary (though less angrily so than he seemed in "Herc"). I love depressed Gilgamesh as an eternal houseguest. But the book as a whole didn't grab me by the face and demand my $4, and at a time when I'm dropping basically all my Marvel except Al Ewing books and Ant-Man, I'm undecided on whether to stick with it.

Almost everything has been good. I didn't like Extraordinary X-Men much or Uncanny Avengers. Drax had major dialogue issues (really only with Drax too which was weird). Mostly everything has been pretty good though. 

That said, Amazing Spider-Man, from a pacing/storytelling perspective seems very stale. The actual content is good, but the way Slott drops in mysteries and subplots and pays things off feels tedious on Spider-Man after all this time.

The use of fridging in Spidey 2099 was offputting. I'm sure PAD has built up some capital when it comes to that sort of a thing and in general, it's a traditional narrative device that was used so much for a reason but it felt very off. 

The stand outs so far have been Karnak, Dr. Strange, Howard the Duck, New Avengers and maybe Angela. 

Was interested in Angela somewhat, but I never found much on her previous volume and the current one has me worried about Hela who I like Infinitely more in general. Pretty sure I'll end up reading Howard at some point so I'm pleased its among the standouts.

Borrowed a friend's copy of Extraordinary. It felt so bland and lifeless. Refused to read Uncanny Bendis-Men and apparently I made the correct choice because I haven't really seen anybody say anything good about it other than the art.

Howling Commandos was decent, but feels like 6 and done.

I wondered about this.  Longbox Heroes made me take interest of this comic.  I like the "Weird War-Monsters and Military" kind of sub genre., but it just seems to quirky for the masses.

• Like 1

Read Cable & Deadpool: Ultimate Collection Vol 1-3 over the last two weeks. There was so much to love here from the big picture aims of Cable, the ups and downs of the friendship between him & Wade which felt way more natural than I would have expected, to how Nicieza brings together things from at least three runs of Deadpool (his own, Kelly's, & Simone's). Wasn't the biggest fan of how Cable's part in the series ended, but I did love where Nicieza left thing with Deadpool. It honestly makes the fact that Wade only just now became an official member of one of the big two teams sort of odd. Anyways great series, probably my favorite book with Deadpool so far.

Howling Commandos was decent, but feels like 6 and done.

I wondered about this.  Longbox Heroes made me take interest of this comic.  I like the "Weird War-Monsters and Military" kind of sub genre., but it just seems to quirky for the masses.

Creature Commandos meets Suicide Squad. Hard to see it being anything but niche book that will be fondly remembered in 10 years.

Read Cable & Deadpool: Ultimate Collection Vol 1-3 over the last two weeks. There was so much to love here from the big picture aims of Cable, the ups and downs of the friendship between him & Wade which felt way more natural than I would have expected, to how Nicieza brings together things from at least three runs of Deadpool (his own, Kelly's, & Simone's). Wasn't the biggest fan of how Cable's part in the series ended, but I did love where Nicieza left thing with Deadpool. It honestly makes the fact that Wade only just now became an official member of one of the big two teams sort of odd. Anyways great series, probably my favorite book with Deadpool so far.

Cable's ending wasn't super controlled since it had to align with X-Men and take him off the board for Messiah Complex. With that in mind, I think it was done well for what was needed.

I think Barbiere might be the next Al Ewing out of Marvel though. I think in a couple of years he'll be front and center and this is just the path to get there.

Did you like him on Avengers World? That didn't thrill me.