DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Will probably pick up Guardians of Infinity. Otherwise, I'm uncertain but considering Squadron Supreme, Ultimates, Starbrand Nightmask, New Avengers, & Captain Marvel. With everything else I either hate the team, hate the premise, have no interest in the character, hate the writer, or my older brother is already picking it up & I'll read his issues.

They've killed the X-line for me with the original five still around, the Terrigan Mists bullshit, & Old Man Logan being brought in. They killed a lot of my interest in the Inhumans as well, and that was already kind of low. I have no interest in Guardians until Bendis is gone. Venom still being connected to Bendis's GotG kills a lot my interest in his solo. I dislike young teens being brought on as full members of the Avengers so my interest in the main book by Waid is pretty much dead. I don't even think the books will all necessarily be bad. I just don't have a lot of interest in the directions Marvel chose to go with a lot of the post-Secret Wars stuff.

• Like 1

It's a poor man's Adventures of Captain America from the 90s.

Never read it. Sorry.

Will probably pick up Guardians of Infinity. Otherwise, I'm uncertain but considering Squadron Supreme, Ultimates, Starbrand Nightmask, New Avengers, & Captain Marvel. With everything else I either hate the team, hate the premise, have no interest in the character, hate the writer, or my older brother is already picking it up & I'll read his issues.

They've killed the X-line for me with the original five still around, the Terrigan Mists bullshit, & Old Man LogHan being brought in. They killed a lot of my interest in the Inhumans as well, and that was already kind of low. I have no interest in Guardians until Bendis is gone. Venom still being connected to Bendis's GotG kills a lot my interest in his solo. I dislike young teens being brought on as full members of the Avengers so my interest in the main book by Waid is pretty much dead. I don't even think the books will all necessarily be bad. I just don't have a lot of interest in the directions Marvel chose to go with a lot of the post-Secret Wars stuff.

Cheers, Eivion. Haven't read an X-Men book in a while. I can understand the Terrigan Mists complaint. Haven't read Old Man Logan before but the entry on it in Marvel Year By Year: A Visual History sounds good. I like what I've read by Mark Waid including the Free Comic Book Day 2015 All-New, All-Different Avengers previewing the new Avengers roster. Particularly interested in the reception Invincible Iron Man gets as it's getting the big push. Iron Man continues to get that.

Had hoped for a Superior Spider-Man book either stories set before Peter reclaims his body or in an alternative universe/result of Spider-Verse/Secret Wars.

They've killed the X-line for me with the original five still around, the Terrigan Mists bullshit, & Old Man Logan being brought in. They killed a lot of my interest in the Inhumans as well, and that was already kind of low. I have no interest in Guardians until Bendis is gone. Venom still being connected to Bendis's GotG kills a lot my interest in his solo. I dislike young teens being brought on as full members of the Avengers so my interest in the main book by Waid is pretty much dead. I don't even think the books will all necessarily be bad. I just don't have a lot of interest in the directions Marvel chose to go with a lot of the post-Secret Wars stuff.

I'm right there with you, man. The O5 still being around is annoying, but they can take Decimation Part 2: Terrigan Boogaloo shove it right up their collective asses. Lemire's interview about what he's going to do with the X-books makes him sound like he's just towing the company line instead of actually trying something new. I might give Uncanny a look down the road if Sabertooth/Msytique/Fantomax all die horribly and get replaced by characters that don't suck/are overexposed.

I am actually okay with Sabretooth washing out of the Avengers and ending up back with Mystique and Magneto after that, IF Bunn does something with it (I think he probably will). However, I want a ten-year moratorium on Betsy and Fantomex being on the same team. I'm so very tired of their interactions.

With everything else I either hate the team, hate the premise, have no interest in the character, hate the writer, or my older brother is already picking it up & I'll read his issues.

Yeah, I'm really of two minds about Marvel post-Secret Wars.  On the one hand, they line has been rather strong the past few years.  It seems like, at any given time, Marvel has had a fair number of very good books and at least one or two great ones.  Editorially, they seem a lot more competent than DC with a better grasp of where the line as a whole is going.  So they've definitely earned some trust that they'll continue producing good books.

On the other hand, most of the changes don't interest me.  Cho Hulk, Peter Parker re-inventing himself as Tony Stark, splitting up the FF and spinning the members to other books, whatever they're doing to Avengers, etc.  Add to that the rumors about downplaying characters unless Marvel owns the movie rights (I'm not an X-Men fan, really, but there's always been one or two good X-Men runs the past few years).

And, of course, there's the departure/hiatus of a lot of big name writers.  As I said before, I buy books mostly because of who is writing them.  Hickman. Remender. Gillen, Fraction, etc. could sell me a title I'd otherwise skip.  Cullen Bunn or Dennis Hopeless probably can't.

There are several books I'll pick up: Thor, the JDR titles, a few others.  There are a lot of books I'll give a chance to.  But odds are my Marvel reading list will be thinner than it has been in quite a while.

I'm expecting my Marvel/DC interest to be fairly low for the time being.  I'm really planning to go back and pick up some great runs from the past (Byrne's FF, for example) and read through those instead. 

Actually the mass exodus is what's interesting me. Waid doing Avengers as a must buy aside, a lot of the creators left are the ones that have been doing great work in the shadows of Marvel's top talent or as DC's B-list. Giving them top billing and weird concepts makes the whole line feel really fresh so that even if I'm not sold on all the status quos, I dig the overall shape it's taking.

I generally think that the line coming out of Secret Wars is very strong. It's not perfect, but it's very strong, certainly comparable to the last few years. 

The top fifteen titles I'm most interested in are (in no order):

New Avengers (Love the cast, love the premise, like the writer, very dubious about the art)

Scarlet Witch (James Robinson really delving into the MU again)

The Barbarbie Howling Commandos of SHIELD (I really enjoyed his Avengers World work, so even though I'm not high on the premise, I'm looking forward to this as his only comic)

All New All Different Avengers

Ms. Marvel

All New All Different X-Men (Hopeless)

Ultimates

All New Hawkeye

Karnak

Dr. Strange

Guardians of Infinity

Angela: Queen of Hel

Weirdworld

A-Force

Totally Awesome Hulk (Pak + Cho = some of my favorite stuff in the 00s. I just wish Van Lente was on it too)

So that's my top 15. After that, I'm also heavily looking forward to:

Venom: Space Knight (since it sounds like space opera instead of the usual Venom stuff)

Invincible Iron Man

Daredevil

Extraordinary X-Men (Lemire so it should be both good and interesting, even if the premise is still shaky to me)

Starbrand/Nightmask (because I love the supporting cast)

Howard the Duck (probably good enough to go in the top list, really)

All New Inhumans (I'm more interested in Crystal than most of the rest of the cast)

Amazing Spider-Man (I'm actually looking forward to the Stark/Peter role reversal)

Silk (has been pretty darn good so far)

Spider-Woman (the same)

Vision (very fun premise)

Thor (Probably should be in that first group too but I went with Dr. Strange out of the two Aaron books)

Hercules

Black Knight

Illuminati

So that's another 15 I'm interested in. And frankly, I could probably put 5 more into that list without much problem: Guardians of the Galaxy (With Kitty), Red Wolf, Star Lord, Spidey 2099, Spider-Gwen.

And even the stuff I'm not that interested in like Uncanny Avengers, Deadpool, or Carnage should be pretty good or novel in some way. 

I think the line's in pretty good shape, though yes, it would be better with Hickman, Gillen, Remender, Brubaker, Fraction, etc. I do think we'll hear something out of Hickman soon, and maybe a Gillen mini too. I'm also hoping we get a Rucka run on something, but we'll see.

• Like 1

Gillen's indie work is finally selling well, so unless that nosedives I wouldn't expect him to go back to gap filling anytime soon.

I think Gillen finds doing the occasional Marvel comic enjoyable and said that he even has some minis upcoming. You stretch different muscles and he enjoys that. He just doesn't have time right now for additional ongoings because he has so many projects in the works in general.

• Like 1

at the LCS this week, i bought three books, all of which were Marvel. i'm pretty sure that's never happened, as i don't even follow that many physical releases.

what i picked up: MiracleMan (v2) #2; Age of Apocalypse #4; Hank Johnson, Agent of Hydra #1. loved all 3, for three completely different reasons.

So I'm going through Deadpool Classic at the moment and was curious if its worth going beyond Kelly & Priest? Only read Deadpool under Remender, Duggan, Kelly, Way before. I figure Priest's run will be good, but I'm uncertain of everyone else after it as I don't know when Wade went from an actual character to the bad cartoon he was in what I read of Way's run.

You can pretty confidently skip the Palmiotti, Scalera and Tieri stuff that comes between Priest and Gail. And Wile E. Coyotepool with the warring narration boxes is pretty much entirely a Daniel Way thing starting with his appearance in Wolverine Origins after Cable&Deadpool ended.

You can pretty confidently skip the Palmiotti, Scalera and Tieri stuff that comes between Priest and Gail. And Wile E. Coyotepool with the warring narration boxes is pretty much entirely a Daniel Way thing starting with his appearance in Wolverine Origins after Cable&Deadpool ended.

Thanks for the info. When does Cable & Deadpool begin?

I absolutely loved the Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan run that just ended when Secret Wars began.

I need to finish this run. Aside from the first arc I though it was generally solid up to the point I read.

Thanks for the info. When does Cable & Deadpool begin?

Cable & Deadpool is its own series, both in floppies and TPBs. So the answer would be C&D volume 1. I THINK the entire run is on Unlimited.