DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I REALLY wish they would have made Secret Wars a weekly series, this is just dragging on and I want to get to the new continuity already.

Considering how much I'm dreading the new continuity Secret Wars could take another few months as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't say I was looking forward to the new continuity, just that I want to get to it and get it over with already.  "Ripping a Band-Aid off" sort of thing.

The sooner we get to "Peter Parker is a Tony Stark rip-off," the sooner we can get past it and move on to something else.

There's really nothing in All New that I'm actively dreading. The X-Men status quo being depressing (as in the comics will be dark and depressing, not the decision behind the scenes is depressing), maybe, but I think Pannicia is a way better line editor than Marts and I'm looking forward to see what he comes up with once he gets past the initial "stuff my predecessor left me." I don't think it'd stay depressing for long.

I'm dreading the idea of Franklin/Val being dead, but I don't actually think they'll do that.

Ant-Man: Last Days was fucking weird, in kind of a different way than the Annual. But I think I finally get the tone Spencer is going for; the two specials (less so the preceding arc) suddenly feel like he wants to make a Venture Bros.style comedy of pathos, but Scott isn't really the right character and so it isn't quite clicking. Or it could just be that I had a weird dumb idea that fits with those 2 comics but has nothing to do with the suthor's intentions and the next full arc will be the thing he REALLY wanted to do.

I'm dreading the idea of Franklin/Val being dead, but I don't actually think they'll do that.

Eh, if they want to be "removed from existance" ala Vision/Scarlet Witch's kids, that's fine with me.

I got into comics in 1992, when I think Tom DeFalco was writing FF and had Sue in the stripper costume and the big storyline was Johnny Storm being a fugitive after burning down Empire State University.  

I would flip through the comic every month and get a basic idea of what the current plot was, but there has been literally nothing in the past 27 years of Fantastic Four that has made me want to actually buy a copy or add it to my pull-list.  

"Nuking" the FF and having them go away for a long time isn't going to bother me at all.  I get that they're the ultimate legacy title and how important they are to the founding of modern Marvel, but they've been so bad for so long now that I have no vested interest in them.

If anything, I hope that Sue is replaced with Ultimate Sue as that's honestly been the best thing done with the character since the 1980s.

I'm not sure there are any tie ins I think are bad. I'm not loving Years of Future past, but it's not bad. Modok: Assassin isn't as good as it should be, but again, I wouldn't call it bad. 

Renew Your Vows is probably the worst of the lot and that's because it's a viewpoint masquerading as a story. I don't love Spider-Verse actually. That might be the worst of the lot.

What am I missing?

With very few exceptions, I tend to notice bad art more than good. I will always hate post-1992 Denys Cowan or pretty much any non-Impulse art by Humberto Ramos. I'll always love the Allreds. I will always love Cary Nord and Jim Valentino. In between, art tends to be "just there" for me.

I'm picking up Siege, Korvac Saga, & Spider-Island personally and am also reading Inferno, Attilan Rising, Thors, MODOK: Assasssin, X-men 92', & Future Imperfect. All of them have been fun at the very least. X-men 92' & Siege are probably the best. There other minis I'm interested in, but I'm cheap and enjoy the money I'm saving.

Yeah, Korvac hasn't been too hot. I like Abnett. I like that era of Avengers. I love that era of Guardians, but it's just okay. It's fun as a throwback. There's stuff that's just not down my alley, like E for Extinction which I think are good. Armor Wars is probably one of the weaker ones too, but I think Robinson's done much better with Zombies vs Robots or whatever that book is called. Secret Wars 2099 is another of the more middling ones, but Future Imperfect has been a lot of fun. I think a lot of it depends on how much the comic is tied into the Battleworld theme (except for Where Monsters Dwell of course).

Siege is basically a love letter to Gillen's time at Marvel. Brand leading the defense of the wall with 1602 Kate Bishop, Miss America, and Leah? Sold. The last issue ending with

Nick Fury transformed by Ultron into the Fury.

Was incredible.

Otherwise the only one I've kept with is A-Force which is good but less than its promise. Runaways started hot too but the erratic schedule means I may have missed an issue. The weird use of popular series/arc names makes it hard to remember the series with basically nothing to do with their source material.