DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Secret Wars is the grand finale to Hickman's Avengers titles, and after that he's dropping WFH entirely for at least the time being.

Secret Wars is the end of Hickman's Avengers run and the end of his current Marvel run. Creator owned only for the forseeavle future.

He intends to return at some point. He mentioned it being more a break than anything else so I kind of expect him back in a year or so.

Thanks all!  Hopefully by the time I actually getting around to reading the whole Avengers run he'll be on to something else; I didn't care for Manhattan Projects, so more of that seems to be a miss for me.

People holding the Inhumans stuff against the comic writers/editors is pretty goofy to me. I assure you that Mark Pannacia, upon taking over X-Men, doesn't want to bury the characters. He wants to make the best comics he can. Because some corporate overlord is pissy doesn't mean he isn't going to try to make good comics. The X-Books over the last ten years or so have been really good for the most part.

Except no one is blaming or holding anything against Pannacia, though. And there's probably only been 4 X-book runs I'd call anywhere near "good" for the last ten years(Whedon, Gillen, Carey, and Spurrier).

• 2 weeks later...

Something I didn't notice in Nick Spencer's Ant-Man until yesterday:

Given that Cassie definitely knew the Runaways who Arcade abducted, and probably some of the Academy kids, it is *super* fucked up for Scott to offer to take her to see Battle Royale.

I hope they ignore the existence of Arena post Secret Wars. How is Spencer's Ant-man?

Good, but not as good as Superior Foes.

Personally, i'm not a fan making Scott the schlubby comedy loser C-list hero, but the books has been entertaining.

Taken in a vacuum, it's a hell of a lot of fun. However, Scott seems to have lost 40 IQ points and the respect of all his peers since FF #16 to make him more like the movie version, and that really bugs me. (The annual also plays up Hank's insecurities and arrogance in ways that feel "off" but at least feel like established flaws being bent for comedic purposes rather than all-new all-different loser tics.)

That annual also raises the timeline question for Uncanny Avengers v2 and Rage of Ultron again since it includes Scott finding out what happened in RoU.  Are those supposed to happen post-Secret Wars?  If not, how long can Hank be "gone" if he's going to join the Illuminati?

RoU is definitely after Secret Wars. That got leaked in e-mail answer Remender gave to a fan. I've heard general theories that UA vol. 2 takes place afterward as well.

There's no way that RoU can take place before UA v2.  The other Avengers are WAY too comfortable with Sabretooth, who they are literally keeping on a leash at the beginning of UA (and also Jan's presence complicates things, since she was MIA when UA2 started).

Now watch Last Days of Ant-Man reference the annual (which is post-ROU) just to make everything even stupider.

• 2 weeks later...

Since most company-wide crossovers in comics suck, Secret Wars has been a huge surprise in how fucking awesome it has been. I know it's only half over and they can still screw it up (Civil War started great too), but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Has Mark Waid given any indication at a convention Q&A or anything on if he plans to bring Karen Page back to life anytime?

Waid only has one or two more issues on his run left, so id say unlikely. The next writer, who i think is charles soule, could.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering how far behind schedule it is when it was supposed to come out twice a month, things would be even worse.  The problem isn't the shipping schedule, the problem is not having six issues of eight inked, colored and lettered before they solicited #1.

I REALLY wish they would have made Secret Wars a weekly series, this is just dragging on and I want to get to the new continuity already.

Considering how much I'm dreading the new continuity Secret Wars could take another few months as far as I'm concerned.

Considering how far behind schedule it is when it was supposed to come out twice a month, things would be even worse.  The problem isn't the shipping schedule, the problem is not having six issues of eight inked, colored and lettered before they solicited #1.

I don't recall Ribic being this slow during UXF or Thor. I would say its more likely editorial changes forcing re-writes and new art.

Yeah, this feels like last minute story changes delaying art repeatedly in a cascade effect. If it had met the original deadlines it'd feel much faster.

Fair point. Regardless, my basic point remains-thst the problem isn't the solicited schedule but failure to hold to that schedule.