DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I think Barbiere might be the next Al Ewing out of Marvel though. I think in a couple of years he'll be front and center and this is just the path to get there.

Jason Aaron started his mainstream non-Vertigo run on the Ghost Rider by bringing out the obscure 70's villains. I can see that happening here as well.

I have high hopes for Ultimates tomorrow. Ewing "came out of nowhere" (by which I mean he spent years building a rep at 2000AD for doing great stories nobody in the US, including me, read) to grab everyone by the face, and now he's gotten hold of two of my favorite "Marvel really wants them to be A-listers" chars in Carol and T'Challa. I expect that if I read it, I will enjoy ANAD Avengers, but it doesn't need my patronage like Ults or Ant-Man or Herc, so I'm skipping it til it hits Unlimited or there's a BOGO sale.

Speaking of Ant-Man, I hope the flashback shit is out of the way soon. I'm glad we finally get to see what happened between Scott and Darla next week, but having a #1 not even get one tenth of the way to establishing the status quo on #1's cover is a pet peeve that will always offend me.

It's the lesser of Ewing's team books, but it's still quite good. New Avengers is just that much better.  I like the concept. I love most of the characters on the team (I don't give a damn about Ms America, but T'challa, Blue Marvel, Captain Marvel and Spectrum are all great chars and Ewing seems to have a handle on the ones he hadn't already proven himself with in Mighty Avengers).  I am irrationally annoyed that Iso-8 has crept from mobile games into comics, but I guess it was inevitable.  I'm almost certainly on board for #2, if only because I want to see what the solution to "the problem" is.

Interesting, Ultimates was the book Ewing book I'm mostly interested as I pretty much am the same about loving everyone but Miss America. I think the Iso-8 stuff is actually Ewing's own creation from what I've heard. I'm somewhat interested in New Avengers, but I don't care for the art and don't care for half of the team.

Iso-8 is definitely not Ewing's creation; it's been cropping up in Marvel mobile games (Marvel Puzzle Quest, Spider-Man Unlimited, Marvel Future Fight and Contest of Champions) since before Ewing's first Marvel story was published. The explanation in Ults #1 may be something Ewing created from whole cloth, but it's a justification for something that already existed.

How are the the latest books? I haven't read any of post Secret Wars books yet.

Liked The Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #1 but not sold on the direction, Spider-Gwen #1 and Invincible Iron Man #1. Didn't like The Amazing Spider-Man #2. I have The Amazing Spider-Man #3, Spider-Gwen #2 and Spider-Gwen #0 to read.

I have high hopes for Ultimates tomorrow. Ewing "came out of nowhere" (by which I mean he spent years building a rep at 2000AD for doing great stories nobody in the US, including me, read) to grab everyone by the face, and now he's gotten hold of two of my favorite "Marvel really wants them to be A-listers" chars in Carol and T'Challa. I expect that if I read it, I will enjoy ANAD Avengers, but it doesn't need my patronage like Ults or Ant-Man or Herc, so I'm skipping it til it hits Unlimited or there's a BOGO sale.

Speaking of Ant-Man, I hope the flashback shit is out of the way soon. I'm glad we finally get to see what happened between Scott and Darla next week, but having a #1 not even get one tenth of the way to establishing the status quo on #1's cover is a pet peeve that will always offend me.

Interesting, Ultimates was the book Ewing book I'm mostly interested as I pretty much am the same about loving everyone but Miss America. I think the Iso-8 stuff is actually Ewing's own creation from what I've heard. I'm somewhat interested in New Avengers, but I don't care for the art and don't care for half of the team.

Have you read Loki (Vol. 1): Agent of Asgard by Al Ewing? I'd recommend that and can submit my review of the book if you wish?

Invincible Iron Man #1. This be the All-New, All-Different Marvel written by Brian Michael Bendis, David Marquez on art with Justin Ponsor’s colours. In this issue we’re introduced to Tony Stark’s new armour, Tony goes on a date and an old Iron Man enemy reappears. I was in two minds whether to pick this up and I’m glad I did. It was a very good read which gave me a couple of laughs, especially an Avenger cameo whose identity I won’t spoil. This is a really good looking comic with the wraparound cover as Iron Man flies from Stark Tower and the inside art. I’ve liked the All-New All-Different Marvel Iron Man armour since its reveal. I don’t think I’d add the title to my subscription.

Yeah, I'm high on Chavez too, and I think she'll be used really well here.

I'm also really high on the Black Panther moment from Secret Wars, but just as much so, all of the little Namor stuff that falls in beside him. Namor and Cyclops have been the best two Marvel characters of the last ten years.

But maybe that means I'm just a dick.

Have you read Loki (Vol. 1): Agent of Asgard by Al Ewing? I'd recommend that and can submit my review of the book if you wish?

I read it a while back and enjoyed it a good deal. I just haven't followed up on it.

I can't understand how anyone could make it through Gillen/McKelvie's Young Avengers without loving Miss America Chavez, but I REALLY can't imagine anyone not reading that run so I dunno where all the meh in this thread is coming from.

Sort of already hated her from her debut in Vengeance. Gillen's run just upped her to being ok for me. I'm somewhat indifferent towards her and really most of the Young Avengers.

I read it a while back and enjoyed it a good deal. I just haven't followed up on it.

Same here. My review follows...

Loki (Vol. 1): Agent of Asgard includes material from All-New Marvel Now Point One #1 and Loki: Agent of Asgard #1-5. The material from All-New Marvel Now Point One #1 is a short teaser for things in the main book, it’s a very good one. Loki killed himself to escape his reputation for his bad acts to be reincarnated into a new younger body. However that reputation isn’t forgotten by all as Loki carries out missions for Asgard with each successful one removing crimes there and heroes/villains.

#1 sees Loki needing to go to Avengers Tower, #2 Loki meets Verity Willis at speed dating while recalling his intercepting Lorelei’s with partners Monte Carlo caper, you see Verity cannot be told a lie. #3 tells the origin story of Gram, the sword and Sigurd The Ever-Glorious both briefly introduced in All-New Marvel Now Point One #1 and in #1, Sigurd wants it back. #5 culminates in characters introduced in previous issues working with Loki to infiltrate Asgardia’s (never heard of Asgardia, is that for women) dungeon. In #1, 3 and 5 we get a look at the Loki identity killed, this also comes to ahead in #5. Both deliver in my favourite issue. I picked this up for Tom Hiddleston’s great portrayal of the character in the MCU. I really enjoyed this fun, funny book fitting for the character including the not what it seems element. Hope others give it a go.

If you haven't you really should pick up Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run & Young Avengers run. Ewing builds from both of those a good deal. Hiddleston himself was quite fond of the former.

Cheers for the recommendations. I'll take a look at the online library catalogue and see what there is.

EDIT: Just had a look. Mostly Iron Man books but there's two Young Avengers books: Style > Substance and Alternative Culture. Worth reading then?

Edited by The Natural

Journey Into Mystery was fascinating. It was a Marvelised take on doing something almost Sandman level. Which is a sentence that doesn't really make sense, but I can't figure out a better way to put it.

Don't get me wrong, it didn't reach Sandman's level, but it tried.

Spider-Gwen #0. This issue reprints Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider Woman where it all started for this breakout character, the debut of Spider-Gwen. At the time I wasn’t sure if I wanted to buy the issue but I’m glad I did as it’s a great story. Spider-Gwen #0 includes the script to the issue with a few sketches. I’d have liked some more bonus material. The issue has a cardboard cover with the cover art from Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider Woman except that title is replaced with Spider-Gwen #0. Should you buy this issue? The original story certainly but you could get it cheaper as Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider Woman went to four printings last time I checked. It depends what you think about the script, a few sketches and a cardboard cover with Spider-Gwen #0.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #2. In the last page of Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #1, this world’s Captain America debuted. In this issue we see Spider-Gwen interact with Captain America while amongst Lizards. This was a great issue for the exchanges between Spider-Gwen/Captain America, the origin of Captain America as this team is brilliant at these two page origin recaps and a one page bio at the end about Captain America. The bios are a nice touch first introduced in Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #1. Spider-Gwen grabbed me from Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider Woman.

Do we have any Spider-Gwen readers here?

I did go ahead and pick up Ultimates #1. Its mostly a set up issue but well done. I really like the makeup of team and how they interact so far. The plot is also off to an interesting start. Definitely in for at least this first arc to see where things go though I'm thinking I'll be picking it up beyond that when its all said & done.