DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Finally read the last two volumes of Loki: Agent of Asgard. That was just tremendous. Ewing did a fantastic job continuing and possibly finishing up what Gillen started with the character. The reveal to Thor especially hit a wonderful dramatic note. I also love the final change it leaves with the character. It makes me even more curious/frightened by whatever Aaron will do with the character in the current Thor run. I really don't want to see everything Gillen and Ewing did go away. I also might have to break and check out Ewing's New Avengers as I have enjoyed everything I've read from him so far a good deal. Its surprising he isn't one of Marvel's architects at the moment.

I think he needs a little more tenure to be an Official Architect, but he certainly seems to be an unofficial one at this point (see also Iso-8 and its integration from a mobile-game MacGuffin into part of the cosmology).

Last Days of the Mighty Avengers is probably my favorite Marvel arc this year, and that final issue had me tear up pretty hard.

If you love Black Panther, Hickman's FF, and Doom it's a can't miss book. Honestly... (tonal spoilers, not plot)

After how pessimistic Hickman's stuff got in the leadup I was prepared for something ugly like Franklin dying or something. Instead I got the ultimate conflict between Reed and Doom in a way that feels as final as comics can ever be and this wonderfully character based optimistic ending.

I loved it a lot. I don't know that Secret Wars ranks as one of my favourite events on the whole. It's kind of scattered. But the last issue is one of my favourite event endings for sure.

I loved Secret Wars, but it's not one of my top "company events",  The last issue is outstanding, though.

Going to go back and read all of Hickman's FF/Avengers stuff.  Trying to figure out the exact order is a pain, considering FF and Fantastic Four were published at the same time, as were Avengers/New Avengers.  There are points where most people suggest alternating issues of the two books, but that seems awkward since there are multi-part stories in there,

The beginning of the FF run seems easy enough to figure out:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four 1-5
A Doom story from Dark Reign: The Cabal
Fantastic Four 570-588
FF 1-? (11?)

Does anyone know what Hickman suggested the reading order be?  He tweeted out an "official" reading order at one point a year or two back, but the tweets are deleted (I had them bookmarked).

The Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #2-5. This be the All-New, All-Different Marvel and the fourth volume of The Amazing Spider-Man. Read and reviewed the first issue a while ago and just got round to these. Spider-Man and his allies are going up against a criminal group, the Zodiac around the world. We also see Peter Parker running his own company, Parker Industries. This was average, the best issue was Spidey teaming up with the Prowler in #2. Zodiac’s lower tier compared to HYDRA, AIM, Roxxon, Alchemax and HAMMER. I’m open to changes in direction, Peter Parker as owner of global company like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark isn’t doing it for me. Works for them, not Pete.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #6. This be the All-New, All-Different Marvel and the fourth volume of The Amazing Spider-Man. Mr. Negative is dealing a new drug to control others. Peter’s in Shanghai for Parker Industries. The cover says an all-new story starts here…and ends for me. I’m dropping the book. I’ve read Dan Slott’s Spider-Man stories beginning with the start of Big Time liking most of the run and rating Dan as one of the best ever Spider-Man writers. From 2014-2016 is rarely good, average and quite bad. I thought once or twice about cancelling my order and now I will be. 

Final issue was great. I like the things it set up for the current Marvel. Would have been nice to see this months ago before those things were already revealed. Was definitely nice to get such an optimistic ending after the very bleak build.

So I finished up Secret Warriors and it is such an... inconsistent read.  It has the occasional Hickman problem where it feels like he skips some of the set-up chapters to get to the stuff he really cares about (my first work of his was Pax Romana which was like a 25 part story told in four issues with the other twenty some parts explained in a timeline at the end of the final chapter) which takes away from all the swell Nick Fury insanity.  I'm left wondering why the actual Secret Warriors team was actually included in the book as by the end they basically didn't fit in at all.  I'm pretty sure they spent the whole book stating how Daisy/Quake is the best student Fury ever had and yet did nothing to show that in its entire run.

And yet I'd still say it was worthwhile as the Fury-focused stuff was just too entertaining.

Original plan was 60 issues but a bunch of things accelerated it. Hickman's choices though, not mandates. I can't help but wonder if he started accelarating things to make sure he got to run the ending before being cancelled.

I love Secret Warriors. Janky pacing and all. It's super uniquely suited to my tastes in terms of plot structure though.

I have to say that I'm surprised at how enjoyable Secret Wars was.  So much of Hickman's Avengers (especially Infinity and TRO) feels like it's less "watching the story unfold" than it is "watching the highlight package before the blowoff match, except that the highlight package is 20 issues" that I was really not expecting it to feel like the whole story.  There are still issues (the Prophet comes to mind), but it felt like it did everything it needed to, and it was glorious.

I can't see any reason to have accelerated other than cancellation. I don't think it was doing great numbers.

It was on the bubble, but it had lower than usual attrition and the end point was announced almost a year before it dropped to about 22k. The concern may have been the cause, but the end decision was Hickman's.

Spider-Gwen (Vol. 2) #4. Spider-Gwen both battles and tries to reason with the Green Goblin as Spider-Gwen knows the Green Goblin’s identity but he’s not aware of hers. There’s a profile bio on George Stacy. I liked this issue but wanted to more as its Spider-Gwen vs. Green Goblin and how I enjoy Spider-Gwen but it’s probably the weakest issue of this volume.