DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So I'm skipping around the "beginning of the nWo" Nitros. I think Hogan was a good choice for the third man but his inherent hokeyness in my opinion did the angle no favors.

What if it had been Savage? Savage being a heel isn't as novel but he's nearly as iconic as Hulk and his intensity was always off the charts. I think it would have been rad.

Edit to add an additional thought: Randy was also more receptive to doing business by all accounts so maybe the angle wouldn't have eventually buried everyone except the nWo and maybe WCW wouldn't have self destructed.

The problem I see here is that Hogan would be the babyface everyone would look to fend off the evil invaders, and we know how that would have turned out. At least with Hogan as the lead heel the NWO was around longer than it would have otherwise, for better or worse.

Man, Hogan's fake ass laugh around the 1:30 mark is actively horrible. Jesus.

And after reading the bit about Nash thinking Hogan was too Memphis, it made me wish Hogan played the Hollywood character without the exaggerated voice, and was just scumbag, leaked video Hogan.

• Like 1

I looked around, but didn't see one. I might have just missed it, but are any of you guys playing WWE Supercard? It's pretty addicting.

Yep. I downloaded it thinking "Ahh, this might be a decent way to fill some dead spots at work" and I've been playing the shit out of it. If your on the fence about it, I'd say give it a shot, its completely free and you don't.lose out on.any aspects of it playing it that way, although there are items available to purchase. Its not one of those "free" apps that won't let you do much of anything unless you sink a few bucks into it, which was kind of my concern going in. Definitely addicting, lots of fun.

Go way back and it was innovative - they sold their merch out of the back of a truck, the presentation was fun and unique and really set them apart from everything else happening in wrestling at the time and for a long time you didn't know what they were gonna do next. It was a good time to be a fan

• Like 1

I looked around, but didn't see one. I might have just missed it, but are any of you guys playing WWE Supercard? It's pretty addicting.

What is it, a booker sim?

Nah, it's, I guess the best way to describe it is 'WWE Pokemon'.

You get a deck of cards, four dudes and a Diva, and you battle against other people's decks. Everyone is rated on four categories, Power, Toughness, Speed, and Charisma, and there are different tiers of cards, from Common to Epic (or Legendary, I'm not sure which is the top tier off the top of my head). There's also a tag team aspect, each male superstar card has an arrow, <, >, ^, and down. If you team two dudes with </>, or up and down, you get a bonus, </^, or >/down, for example, you get a down grade. Higher tier cards sometimes get bonus based on their signature moves, and there are support cards which can help your stats/hurt your opponent. You can also 'train' cards to level them, combine matching cards to make them 'Pro', it's actually pretty cool, I also probably did a shitty job of explaining it, I'm sure someone else will do better. It's pretty simple to learn, actually.

I just got into the Super Rare++ rank, overall record of 397-105, with a current team of;

LVL 25 Super Rare Vince McMahon (Power: 144, Toughness: 145, Speed: 131, Charisma: 202, Arrow: <)

LVL 25 Super Rare John Cena (178, 177, 154, 192, >) [i have another SR Cena I'm going to level and combine him with to make him Pro]

LVL 20 Rare Bray Wyatt (132, 124, 117, 132, >) [same as with Cena, I'm going to build up my other Rare Bray Wyatt and combine them]

LVL 9 Rare Pro Hulk Hogan (156, 168, 129, 185, >) [Working on getting him to LVL 20 right now]

LVL 25 Super Rare Brie Bella (141, 136, 161, 151)

I also have a Super Rare Jimmy Uso, he's not as good as my leveled cards, but he's too good to sacrifice to train the other cards.

Waspy rich suburbanite Sandman might be one of the great wrestling missed oppurtunities ever. I mean if he went back to ECW and did a whole "I'm rich" gimmick and traded in Metallica for Symphony music and the beer for Wine there might have been legit riots at ECW shows from the hate he could have gotten.

Would the S&M version of Enter Sandman have worked?

Possibly. But instead of smoking Marlbros, he comes out smoking one on an exagerated long rich person filter.

So I'm skipping around the "beginning of the nWo" Nitros. I think Hogan was a good choice for the third man but his inherent hokeyness in my opinion did the angle no favors.

What if it had been Savage? Savage being a heel isn't as novel but he's nearly as iconic as Hulk and his intensity was always off the charts. I think it would have been rad.

Edit to add an additional thought: Randy was also more receptive to doing business by all accounts so maybe the angle wouldn't have eventually buried everyone except the nWo and maybe WCW wouldn't have self destructed.

I don't know, man. I'm biased because I loved the NWO so much as a kid, but early NWO seems like ECW compared to the Taskmaster and the Yet-tay

Waspy rich suburbanite Sandman might be one of the great wrestling missed oppurtunities ever. I mean if he went back to ECW and did a whole "I'm rich" gimmick and traded in Metallica for Symphony music and the beer for Wine there might have been legit riots at ECW shows from the hate he could have gotten.

Would the S&M version of Enter Sandman have worked?

Possibly. But instead of smoking Marlbros, he comes out smoking one on an exagerated long rich person filter.

Why the fuck would he not be smoking a giant pipe as Rich Man Sandman?

• Like 1

So anyone know of any good Sherri Martel matches? I saw a pretty nice match between her and Rockin Robin where she lost the belt, and it came upon me that I have seen very little of Sherri in the ring. I liked Sherri a lot in the match and was hoping there was maybe more good matches of hers running around.

All I remember about Hogan in the ring back then was whipping people with his belt and yelling into the camera

And back rakes too

And that shit worked like a charm, too. 

I just watched Clash of the Champions where he Hulks up as a heel against Flair and the crowd is super confused.

I hated NWO era Hogan. He was old, slow paced with embarrassing looking offense . He should have been presented as the king who had all of his pawns (the nwo) do his bidding. Instead, he was presented as an equal to guys who could run circles around him.

When people talk about the NWO they often focus on the diluting of the faction and the angle having no end. .What they rarely focus on  is how 99% of matches involving the nwo are unwatchable and complete crap. And it's not one of those things where the matches just haven't aged well. In a typical nwo match you can hear the crowd pop when they come out and then hear the crowd get gradually disinterested once they realize that this is going to be a slow, psychology less match. 

How long can a fed expect people to turn in to watch a product when the top of the card is packed with bad matches?

I hated NWO era Hogan. He was old, slow paced with embarrassing looking offense . He should have been presented as the king who had all of his pawns (the nwo) do his bidding. Instead, he was presented as an equal to guys who could run circles around him.

When people talk about the NWO they often focus on the diluting of the faction and the angle having no end. .What they rarely focus on  is how 99% of matches involving the nwo are unwatchable and complete crap. And it's not one of those things where the matches just haven't aged well. In a typical nwo match you can hear the crowd pop when they come out and then hear the crowd get gradually disinterested once they realize that this is going to be a slow, psychology less match. 

How long can a fed expect people to turn in to watch a product when the top of the card is packed with bad matches?

Pick a random WCW PPV from that era. What do you remember the most from it?

I just heard them say Halloween Havoc on Ntro, so lets go with 1997. Piper/Hogan in that crappy cage match doesn't stick with me. I think of DDP/Savage tearing it up, Rey/Eddy having the MOTY, the badass Jericho/Gedo opener, the Flair/Hennig grudge match. There was enough good stuff going on with the undercard that the main event matches weren't even a factor (though, in the case of Piper/Hogan, coming two weeks after the first Hell in a Cell certainly couldn't have helped expectations). Sure, not elevating anyone and failing to properly resolve the NWO/Sting issue eventually bit them in the ass, but even as late as early 1999, I could forgive a 20 minute Hogan THIS IS WHERE THE POWER LIES promo as long as Raven was running around DDTing dudes and taking Scotty Riggs' eye out.

The nWo did age really poorly. Hogan did have heat, but that was just WCW crowds who hated him already turning that hatred up a notch. I don't know if Hogan really changed much about himself as a character in terms of his delivery or goofy weirdness, though he did change his offense to back rakes, eye pokes, belt shots, and stalling, which was actually interesting depending on the context. 

Where the nWo angle goes wrong, at least for me, is when they are setting up a renegade group led by Sting that included a recently-fired Randy Savage and a DDP that was on the outs with his old friends Hall and Nash. That looks REALLY interesting, and they quash it by turning Savage heel on DDP for no reason and having him join up with the guys that tortured him for months. Even something like justifying it by saying that he had his problems with Hogan, but he'd never want to be on the same side as that son-of-a-bitch Ric Flair would have done a bit to make the turn make sense, but really, they should have just run with Sting gathering an army of outcasts that they had going there. That opens up some interesting matchups and storyline possibilities.

The other thing that drags this down is that I've seen it and already know that the nWo doesn't get killed off at Starrcade '97. The nWo needed to be put down completely at that point and milking the angle beyond that was just awful, especially that Wolfpac/Black-and-White garbage. Sting joining the nWo was the worst - that never, ever, ever should have happened, but since they needed stuff to do with the nWo in 1998...

• Like 2

I don't mind them pushing it out a little longer, even the split and dissension in the ranks. Problem was, it got too big. Nobody cared about Wolfpac midcarder vs Black/White midcarder. Christ that's why most of them got shoved in there, to see if anyone cared. If it was Nash/Hall splitting off and feuding with Steiner/Hogan while making Bischoff's life miserable, may have more life to it.