DVDVR Message Board

Joan Rivers

Dolfan in NYC

She's one of the all-time best. I love her so much.

I have a bunch of friends who used to work for QVC. They all said she was absolutely wonderful in person -- completely filthy, but really sweet. She also was very good with remembering the names of QVC production people/aspiring comics.

I remember from some interviews where Orson Welles always called her "John Rivers" and insisted she was a man in a woman's body. Considering that ol' Orson was definitely a card-carrying member of the macho pig generation, that's a pretty big compliment.

You have to admire anyone who got blacklisted from the Tonight Show for LIFE (though Fallon rightfully gave her a pardon) because of when she did her own talk show and didn't ask for Johnny Carson's blessing. That would have killed a normal person's career, but she kept on thriving. I can't really begin to imagine a world without Joan Rivers pissing people off.

People told her, "Women aren't funny."  

She destroyed that sentiment with a cruel and brutal swipe of her hand.   Joan was one of my favorites, and a true wonder of comedy.  

Farewell wonderful lady.   

Oh, and fuck Carson. 

I was watching a doc about female comedians the other night for a minute and she talked about her husband committing suicide. She was wrecked for awhile... then she cremated his body, spread it around walking through Neiman Marcus, and moved on. I don't think she was joking. Toughest bitch ever, RIP.

As a kid, all I knew her as was a fashion critic and red carpet hanger-on and I hated her. Then I got older, and I found out more of her history and how many barriers she broke and developed a real appreciation for her. It bums me out that there's probably many people my age or younger who don't know that about her.