DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Eh, I liked Forever Evil quite a bit.  All the tie-ins and delays made it seem like the story drug out for years, but that's the nature of company-wide events.  Main book was quite fun, and they set a number of things in motion that I'm curious to see play out.

DC is cancelling All-Star WesternBatwingBirds of PreySuperboyTrinity of Sin: Pandora, and Trinity of Sin: The Phantom Stranger. In the 3 years since the launch of Nu52, they've cancelled 47 books.

Was Phantom Stranger any good under DeMatteis?  He's probably my favorite 70's/early 80's writer and one of my 5 favorites ever.  Really dug his philosophical/metaphysical bent.  Haven't liked a lot of what he's written since JLA and his 'funny" period, though. 

Phantom Stranger seems like something the DeMattieis who wrote Defenders, Moonshadow, and the Dr. Fate mini could really run with.  I meant to check it out and never did.  Opinions?

Also, to be fair to DC, one of the reasons they've cancelled so many books since nu-52 launched is that they've been willing to take more chances.  They're greenlighting books for a lot of secondary characters that were longshots to sustain their own books.  Does anyone really think Vibe, Phantom Stranger, Mr. Terrific, etc., have enough of a fanbase to sustain their own titles for years and years.  Or Dial H for Hero?  Or Frankenstein?

Marvel is still the stronger line, creatively, but books like Frankenstein, I Vampire, Animal Man, etc. have at least kept me reading when I had little interest in most of the mainstream DC books and writers.

I'm going to miss All Star Western. It was consistent top 5 five for me from DC.

I've really only read Phantom Stranger during the crossovers, but from what I read it was generally solid, probably even better on its own. Personally the thing I've enjoyed from DeMatteis's recent DC offerings the most though is easily Larfleeze.

I'm reading more than I ever did when I was way into it but do not follow any of the news/creator bullshit.  Last I recalled DC did that bigass new 52 reboot.  My question is:  Was there another reboot after that?  I struggle to understand a lot of how new big name books chronologically play out.  If those old Wizard price guides still existed, each issue would be 900 pages. 

Marvel also did a reboot but they didn't call it a reboot and kept most of the lineage right? This Jason Aaron Thor shit seems to be the greatest Metal Hurlant story ever, and also seems about as far from Dr. Donald Blake as a Jheri curl. DC kinda did a clean slate except for Batman as far as I know. 

MAIN THING: was this actually about getting new #1s out the goddamned or what?

Thing that's confusing me is where I was reading that new Mark Waid Daredevil and then it started over but it was the same shit.  I can take the lameass intervallic explanation with how they wanted to get from Shadowland to status quo.  I am getting foggy, pun intended after the fact, on whether things like mortal injuries or deaths got reset. 

I ain't keeping up with monthlies at fucking all.  Maybe I don't even fucking care as long as all old stories I'm reading get brought to their full conclusion.  Even abiding tales brought prematurely to their end by a higher power.  Quoting Simpsons:  We want closure.  Especially if I'm blasting through years after the fact. 

This will always be an issue won't it?  At least for named superheroes.  I recall reading a shitload of goddamned great Greg Rucka Wonder Woman and then it suddenly had to deal with that horseshit where WW snapped Maxwell Lord's neck and it was filmed and shown out of context.  Same thing happened with that good-ass Incredible Hercules comic where it always seemed 3 steps away from greatness yet it always had to stay in second gear out of fucking deference to some confound committee. 

Gonna stop now because this is all just sounding like an argument within my own head.

DC did a pretty damn thorough reboot in 2011.  Except Green Lantern which kept almost everything (rejiggered some backstory here and there) and Batman (which has been getting more completely rebooted as it goes on, with the new origin "Zero Year" story explaining a lot of the retcons.)

Marvel didn't really reboot, they just have been rolling out new #1 issues, especially as "jumping on points" and new creative teams.  It was more of a refocus than a reboot.

Although there are rumblings of a Marvel reboot coming in next year or so.

Since numbering doesnt mean anything any more, im fine with just renumbering each new arc or creator change with a new #1.

The goofy ass .1 or .exe or .now are more egregious crap than just starting with new #1s.

The new #1s and #.1s don't really bother me.

For a while now its been wondered if Hickman's Avengers run would end in a reboot of the Marvel universe, but as gets closer to the end I think it will happen less and less. There is just too much going on to through with it all away

Well, that certainly didn't stop the Distinguished Competition. 

(I'm still gutted that all the stuff at the end of Flash: Rebirth got tossed out the window.  And the brilliant year long build to a new Justice League International got scrapped when they actually did a new JLI.)

Given the setup's and the released spoilers of what's going on with Future's End, I'm pretty convinced that DC's doing another reboot once the smoke clears, or at least another Crisis-level restructuring, since all Future's End seems to be is Johns' tribute to Crisis, with the same villians, and Super-Woman's baby.

And fucking reverse Shazam.  I think I lost it the most in issue 6 with fucking Mazahs.  Forever Evil's last panel was just icing.

Well, that certainly didn't stop the Distinguished Competition.

True, but Marvel has more to lose.  I kinda think we never get nu52 DC if they're the number one company or at least closer to Marvel in sales across the board.  Nu52 was as much a sales gimmick as a creative one.  And it worked, for awhile.   Marvel is much stronger both creatively and in terms of sales.  They seem to have a more loyal fanbase, and are putting out a lot of good books, so they seem to be focused creatively. 

Marvel is doing pretty well using the NOW gimmick to create jumping on points for new readers.  A hard reboot probably doesn't gain them much in sales (since sales are generally better than DC) and risks alienating readers a la DC.  I too though Hickman's run on Avengers might end with a hard reboot, but I don't really see them needing to try it right now.

So that black-and-silver Kid Flash costume for Future Wally looks like it should work but doesn't, if that makes any sense. I think maybe the open-top mask only works for me with more hair, which is a really weird complaint, but beyond that it just feels off in a way I can't really elucidate.

Also, with that much metallic silver it should really be a chromium cover and not a lenticular.

Silver Age Superman fighting Titano is always good.

EDIT:  Found the Wally costume image.  Um...  Look, Brett Booth has a fun, distinctive art style.  He's been a really nice guy to me personally online at times, and, as I've mentioned before, even named dropped me once in an interview about Wally West at Speed Force.  But he's a fucking terrible costume designer.

And this looks more like a edgier take on Impulse than Kid Flash. 

I re-read the Wolfman/Gil Kane Superman stuff recently. When Wolfman was good he was was really good and in this he was ON FIRE! The story arc with Lord Satanis and Selyene was really good. Wolfman was writing post-Crisis stories before Crisis it seems. Long, multi-issue stories with a solid payoff, an actual Clark and Lois romance versus a mild flirtation and Superman being split in 2 without resorting to cheap gimmickery to sell books. Basically Lord Satanis and Selyene split Superman in 2 with each only having half of the power set. Satanis captures one while the other half returns to Metropolis and has to deal with being only half as powerful. Wolfman was just really great at crafting a story and it was right after this that he re-tooled Luthor and Brainiac.

Why can't this be the Superman we get today?

James 

• Like 2

I know we have done reading chronologies for both Batman (Morrison) and Spiderman but what is the best reading order for Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps?  Mainly looking to start at War Of The Lanterns as that is where I stopped reading the comics way back when.