DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I read Batman #25, a monthly UK magazine collecting Batman #28, Batman and Two-Face #28 and Nightwing #26 in this order. Batman #28 is a preview of Batman: Eternal and it’s a very good tease by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV. This magazine will be bringing Batman: Eternal in two issues’ time. I’m looking forward to seeing this later Gotham City. Batman and Two-Face #28 sees Batman trying to rescue Two-Face from his predicament with Erin McKillen playing games. There are two big developments in this issue. We also get a flashback like the previous issues in the arc provided. A great issue and ends this great five issue storyline. Nightwing #26 sees Nightwing out to investigate thefts of a breakthrough anti-psychotic. It was a decent issue.

yesterday i read Batman: Dark Knight, Dark City (Batman #452-455) and it was phenomenal. an EXCELLENT riddler mini story arc, which is a pretty rare thing. tying in the past and present, with Batman's psyche and paranoia, it was great. highly recommended.

Gotham Central: Corrigan.  Fuck was that a depressing ending to the series. I knew it was going to end badly, but it still was just heartbreaking to see how it all breaks down for poor Crispus and Renee. I did enjoy that even as far as she was pushed Renee never completely crossed the line. Anyways this was a great series on the whole. Only true disappointments I have is that it ended so early before we got more in depth looks into the other detectives and the depressing ending.

• Like 1

I finally got round yesterday to reading the Free Comic Day 2014 books I got on the day of the event, the 3rd of May. This was the first time I’ve taken part as a comic book shop opened recently about fifteen minutes from where I live. My review of the Marvel comic I chose is in the relevant thread. Spoilers follow…

The New 52: Futures End #0 I knew this was part of Free Comic Book Day 2014 but knew nothing at all about the contents. I picked it up because Batman of the Future was on the cover. I’m a big fan of that TV animated show. This was a full length dark story about superheroes trying to avoid getting assimilated by a tyrant’s forces. I right liked it especially the interplay between Terry McGinnis, the Batman of the Future and his mentor, Bruce Wayne, the original Batman.

Batman: Death and the Maidens. I didn't like this. The writing is technically solid, but just didn't work for me. I felt Rucka went too far in how much of a monster he made Ra's. Talia was left completely damaged goods, never able to recover from this particular story. Its even worse considering she was very much a victim, meaning it makes no sense why Bruce never endeavored to actually bring her back to sanity after it. Its made worse by the fact that Rucka was the one who initially got her away from this shit, only to bring her back into the fold in the worst way. But I think my biggest problem is that its a case of a story no one really wanted or asked for. The entire point of the story is to create a new legacy villain and leave behind an old one except considering Ra's nature it was incredible unnecessary and likely with a few exceptions (editor Matt Idelson) wasn't asked for.

What is that from?

Batman and Son. This actually collects both The Black Glove & Batman and Son. Damian's introduction was solid enough though nothing that endeared me strongly to him one way or the other although i did really dig the #666 and future Damian. Kind of hated Talia, but it was honestly expected as I had heard about the horrible changes to her for a few years now and with having just read Death and the Maidens. I honestly wasn't digging the 3 Ghosts of Batman story at first, but grew and grew on me as it went along and finally built up to me thing interesting that you know will be big down the line. My favorite story was easily the Black Glove and Club of Heroes. I dug the plot and it was interesting getting to see heroes from other nations and how they operate. I don't dislike the story with Jezebel Jet, but I don't really buy Bruce being into her enough that he would let her know his secret even in a fit of anger. One thing I do like a lot is the dynamic duo of Bruce an Tim here. It actually made me realize that before now I hadn't really seen the two properly working together much. I've actually read Dick/Tim as team and Dick/Bruce as a team more. It was a nice change and Morrison writes them well together. Anyways so far Morrison's run is off to a good start even if i didn't love everything.

Batman and Son. This actually collects both The Black Glove & Batman and Son. Damian's introduction was solid enough though nothing that endeared me strongly to him one way or the other although i did really dig the #666 and future Damian. Kind of hated Talia, but it was honestly expected as I had heard about the horrible changes to her for a few years now and with having just read Death and the Maidens. I honestly wasn't digging the 3 Ghosts of Batman story at first, but grew and grew on me as it went along and finally built up to me thing interesting that you know will be big down the line. My favorite story was easily the Black Glove and Club of Heroes. I dug the plot and it was interesting getting to see heroes from other nations and how they operate. I don't dislike the story with Jezebel Jet, but I don't really buy Bruce being into her enough that he would let her know his secret even in a fit of anger. One thing I do like a lot is the dynamic duo of Bruce an Tim here. It actually made me realize that before now I hadn't really seen the two properly working together much. I've actually read Dick/Tim as team and Dick/Bruce as a team more. It was a nice change and Morrison writes them well together. Anyways so far Morrison's run is off to a good start even if i didn't love everything.

Glad you've started this. I read Batman & Son and The Black Glove the same way, as this book collects both. Batman #666 is a great story as is the Three Ghosts of Batman. Like you, the Black Glove story was my favourite. I created a thread about Grant Morrison's Batman run which you'll have to read once you've read the entire run.

Batman: Streets of Gotham, The House of Hush collects Batman: Streets of Gotham #12-14 and #16-21. I really liked the first volume and really didn’t like the second volume. I then got round to reading this a lot later, the final volume. This was a return to form. #12-14 looks at and is narrated by the Carpenter who does work on villains hideouts. It was a fun story. The title story takes place over #16-21 ending the Hush story started in the series beginning and was a worthy end to it. I particularly enjoyed the flashbacks seeing Thomas Wayne and Martha Kane’s past before they married and become Bruce’s parents before their untimely end. The story also gives more background to the Wayne/Elliot/Zatanna families relationships. I was surprised how little we get of Dick Grayson’s Batman in this compared to the previous two volumes.

I have a question. Does anyone know why #15 from the series isn’t included? It’s the only issue from the series missing.

Forever Evil finally ended?  Jesus, it feels like years.

*insert my standard rant about being a 20+ year die-hard DC fanboy, blah blah blah Wally blah blah blah Linda blah blah blah heart-broken*

• Like 2

After that ending, and what looks like is coming up with Future's End, I wish Wally would show back up and do that Speed Force Time Travel shit Barry did to unfuck the timeline back to Pre-New 52.

• Like 3