DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I've really enjoyed almost all of Scott Snyder's run on Batman, but I too am having misgivings regarding the whole Selina as Kingpin nonsense. Also, the whole Bluebird character and her "stungun?" Not digging that at all. Also, I'm guessing that was her brother at the Batcomputer back at the cave? So do they BOTH know his identity now? And where the hell is Alfred? I'm all for switching things up, but this is getting a little ridiculous. I'm trying to have faith in Snyder, but it only goes so far. I did like the last page reveal though. Time will tell. 

As a positive aside, I cannot wait for American Vampire to resume! Snyder told me some cool things about it when I chatted with him at NY ComicCon, so I'm stoked.

As a positive aside, I cannot wait for American Vampire to resume! Snyder told me some cool things about it when I chatted with him at NY ComicCon, so I'm stoked.

Do tell. Big fan of American Vampire. First three volumes, terrific. The fourth which I recently read while very good wasn't at the level of the first three.

I'm on a Green Arrow kick and will have 2 to 3hours to kill later tonight, I already downloaded Year One. Of Longbow Hunters, Quiver, & Archer's Quest, which is best?

Personally, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.  I'd go with Archer's Quest and Longbow Hunters over Quiver.  Longbow Hunters is my favorite of the three, but Archer's Quest is a lot of fun if you want something lighter in tone.

I'm on a Green Arrow kick and will have 2 to 3hours to kill later tonight, I already downloaded Year One. Of Longbow Hunters, Quiver, & Archer's Quest, which is best?

Personally, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.  I'd go with Archer's Quest and Longbow Hunters over Quiver.  Longbow Hunters is my favorite of the three, but Archer's Quest is a lot of fun if you want something lighter in tone.

I read Year One & Longbow Hunters and also downloaded Archer's Quest. I absolutely loved Year One, and thought Longbow Hunters was good, but not fantastic. I liked the artwork but the story was hit or miss to me. Perhaps because I made the mistake of reading Year One first. Looking forward to reading Archer's Quest. 

Thanks for the input! 

Yeah, all four of those books are good.

If you already have both, I would read Quiver first, since it's the first volume of that run on Green Arrow, Archer's Quest is the third.

You might also want to check out the Sounds of Violence, which is the second volume and was also written by Kevin Smith.

Archer's Quest doesn't depend too heavily on having read Smith's run (which preceded it), so you won't really be lost if you haven't read Quiver or Sounds of Violence.

Basically, all you really need to know is that

GA had recently died, and (even more recently) returned from the dead

and that's established very early on.

I never thought Grell was an a great writer or anything, but I think Longbow Hunters is fantastic.  Just reread it a few months ago, actually, and thought it held up rather well. 

The GA series that spun out of Longbow Hunters, and was written by Grell with art by Ed Hannigan is a different matter entirely.  It was hit and miss and exposed Grell's shortcomings as a writer (imo, anyway).

Archer's Quest doesn't depend too heavily on having read Smith's run (which preceded it), so you won't really be lost if you haven't read Quiver or Sounds of Violence.

Basically, all you really need to know is that

GA had recently died, and (even more recently) returned from the dead

and that's established very early on.

I never thought Grell was an a great writer or anything, but I think Longbow Hunters is fantastic.  Just reread it a few months ago, actually, and thought it held up rather well. 

The GA series that spun out of Longbow Hunters, and was written by Grell with art by Ed Hannigan is a different matter entirely.  It was hit and miss and exposed Grell's shortcomings as a writer (imo, anyway).

I'm thinking about picking up Smith's run as well, just to get it all in there. Have you ever read the Green Lantern/Green Arrow collection? How does that hold up?

I say this as a non-nu52 reader but Forever Evil has seemed like it has been the longest crossover/event ever. And just from reading the occasional issue review it seems like there has been next to no payoff so far. Plus I can't imagine how much it must suck to be a Nightwing fan. "We did something major to the character but you're going have to wait a couple months to see the payoff but in the meantime keep buying his book!"

So after a few problems with Amazon and UPS I finally got my Power Girl: Power Trip collection... Amanda Connor draws the best PG since Jerry Ordway and the new cover is great!

After play rehearsal tomorrow I'm going to sit dow nand read the whole fuckin thing!

James

I'm thinking about picking up Smith's run as well, just to get it all in there. Have you ever read the Green Lantern/Green Arrow collection? How does that hold up?

The O'Neill/Adams "Hard Traveling Heroes" stories from the 1970's?  I'm a big fan.  It's not for everyone, though.  I still love O'Neill's Batman & Green Lantern work from that period, but it's very much a product of the times.  Comics as a medium to tell serious stories has come a long way since then. 

Young Denny O'Neill was very liberal back then.  His perspective in writing the social justice parts is very much "outsider sympathetic to the counterculture movement".  Like a lot of writers at the time, he had an idealized idea of what counterculture actually was and ended up swinging too far to the left.  Nearly every "hippie" character in the book is a total innocent who has run afoul of the nefarious establishment.  Additionally, he tended to write the book very heavy handed.  There's not much sublety or attempt to reconcile the mainstream superhero aspects of the book with the social issues.  A lot of the dialogue is ham-fisted by today's standards.  Ollie was one of my favorite DC characters (before Nu52 made him sorta generic), but some of his dialogue... wow.  It's a bit much to be coming out of the mouth of a privledged white super hero.  

All in all, it's the first stab into social issues and it's a little simplistic.  It's still one of my favorite 70's runs (prob only behind O'Neill's Batman stories, the Starlin cosmic stuff, and DeMatteis on Defenders), but I wouldn't put it as Denny's best work, though it was undeniably powerful and signficant for it's time.

Neal Adams' art is still spectacular.

Definitely worth reading. but if you're not a fan of 70's/80's comics and just looking for a pleasant read, you're probably better off with the other collections you mentioned.  If I was going to pick up something you mentioned just to kill off an afternoon, I'd probably stick to Longbow Hunters or Archer's Quest.  I thought the Kevin Smith run on GA was alright, but not up to the standards he hit on Daredevil just before (and the book is really hurt by Hester's art, imo.  i've never liked him much, unfortunately).

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys, way to come through with the recommendations, seriously, thanks so much! After plowing through Year One & the Longbow Hunters I'm now reading Quiver and will follow it with Sounds of Violence & Archer's Quest. All while simultaneously reading my 52 Omnibus (fucking huge, cannot bring it on the train thus only halfway through despite starting it ages ago) and my ridiculously large monthly pull. I hope to delve into the Green Lantern & Green Arrow compilation trade at some point once I'm finished.

As far as Forever Evil goes, as an idiot who is also reading all the tie ins & fucking BLIGHT, I do feel it is going on FOREVER. Please excuse the horrible pun. As I mentioned to a friend the other night, it's pretty awkward that all this stuff is going on in it & all the regular titles aside from the Justice League, Constantine, & Trinity of Sin books are ignoring it until the end. Oh, and as a big Nightwing fan, it's horrifying. I really do not have much faith in what they could be doing regarding Dick Grayson when all is said and done.

I've liked Forever Evil quite a bit, but I'm mostly only reading the main book + a few other titles I'd be reading anyway.  I can't imagine trying to keep up with the tie-ins on company wide crossovers like Forever Evil or Civil War.  Ugh.

I'm also still a huge fan of Johns, so that probably influences my opinion somewhat.

I have to admit I do like how Marvel has been much faster at getting out the books of their big crossovers compared to DC

Like I said on the other page, that lack of double shipping on events like these makes them feel all the longer and is a bit more grating on the patience.

I've liked Forever Evil quite a bit, but I'm mostly only reading the main book + a few other titles I'd be reading anyway.  I can't imagine trying to keep up with the tie-ins on company wide crossovers like Forever Evil or Civil War.  Ugh.

I'm also still a huge fan of Johns, so that probably influences my opinion somewhat.

I've liked it a good deal as well. Still even the main story feels a bit big with both Justice League books tying in. I think even the ARGUS mini is supposed to tie back into the main story its last issue. Its partially why I haven't dropped it as Gates went into a significantly less interesting direction than Kindt.

Does remind me that Suicide Squad has easily been the best its been in the New 52 under the Forever Evil story.

As far as Forever Evil goes, as an idiot who is also reading all the tie ins & fucking BLIGHT, I do feel it is going on FOREVER. Please excuse the horrible pun. As I mentioned to a friend the other night, it's pretty awkward that all this stuff is going on in it & all the regular titles aside from the Justice League, Constantine, & Trinity of Sin books are ignoring it until the end. Oh, and as a big Nightwing fan, it's horrifying. I really do not have much faith in what they could be doing regarding Dick Grayson when all is said and done.

The general idea is that the regular titles all take place before Forever Evil. Its doesn't feel that strange at all to me. And I wouldn't worry too much about Nightwing. The persona might be dying at the end of the story, but its blatantly obvious a new civilian id and superhero id will be formed for Dick post FE. Want to say there is already a picture of it in one of the Batman Eternal double page spreads from a month or two ago.

I have to admit I do like how Marvel has been much faster at getting out the books of their big crossovers compared to DC

Avengers vs X-Men was biweekly, but most of the big company-wide crossovers at Marvel have been monthly, same as DC. I think Marvel just has its big crossovers take over more books, so there is more content. DC likes to limit most of its huge crossovers to the core miniseries and a lot of related miniseries, with only a handful of regular on-goings having tie-ins.

Avengers vs X-Men was biweekly, but most of the big company-wide crossovers at Marvel have been monthly, same as DC. I think Marvel just has its big crossovers take over more books, so there is more content. DC likes to limit most of its huge crossovers to the core miniseries and a lot of related miniseries, with only a handful of regular on-goings having tie-ins.

I knew that one was, but it seemed like Age of Ultron went by just as fast, could be the story, but my goodness it does seem like Forever Evil is just dragging on and on and on.