DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Forever Evil #7 and everything associated with the timing of it have been delayed until the end of May if anyone still cares.

ugh. heard this earlier in the week. SO pissed that Nightwing's final issue is pushed back also. all i want to see is what happens. fucking ridiculous.

Well, the rumor is that after Forever Evil

there will be a new Nightwing and Bluebird series.

Forever Evil #7 and everything associated with the timing of it have been delayed until the end of May if anyone still cares.

ugh. heard this earlier in the week. SO pissed that Nightwing's final issue is pushed back also. all i want to see is what happens. fucking ridiculous.

Well, the rumor is that after Forever Evil

there will be a new Nightwing and Bluebird series.

Its bullshit.

It was very early in the new 52, either before JL #1 or at least before JL #6.  I remember Gail tweeting that one of her creations would be making a big comeback in the new 52 and then Lee promising an Asian in the JL before he said it would be the Atom.  They clearly laid some ground work (with Choi being listed as responsible for stabilizing the white dwarf in Cyborg's systems, and Ray Palmer specifically NOT being the Atom in Frankenstein).  Then, of course, plans changed.  I'm not really opposed to plans changing, I'm more opposed to what often seems to be DC's standard operating procedure of making promises, shitting on them and pretending they never made them.

2011 reports of Lee's proclamation:

This was the first place I read it, but others reported it

"On diversity in the DCnÜ: [Erik] Wallace stated that it was very important to him to reflect the real world in his book, Mister Terrific, and that his run will feature a sporting cast with black, hispanic, asian and, he joked, “even white” characters because “I had to stick them in there.” Going back to a serious note, he stated that he wants the world of Mister Terrific to reflect the real world. Jim Lee added that there was a “very small” asian character in the Justice League whose name rhymes with “blatom,” all but saying that the Atom in the new DC Universe is Ryan Choi rather than Ray Palmer.

Read More: ‘Justice League’ Panel: Ryan Choi, Power Girl, Diversity, Batman on Two Teams [Comic-Con] | http://comicsalliance.com/justice-league-panel-comic-con/?trackback=tsmclip

Other places reported the same story at the same time; to me, the fact that Choi was specifically described as responsible for some of the tech in Cyborg's body indicated pretty strongly that he was planned to appear but then shit changed.

Finished up Forever Evil Blight, Rogues' Rebellion, & ARGUS. Blight was far too bloated with things only getting interesting its second half. I think if they had cut away the part focusing on the Blight monster and focused entirely on the magical WMDs plot this would have been a much tighter and better story. Rogue's Rebellion was solid stuff with the camaraderie and struggle to survive while maintaining the Rogues' particular set of morals being a damn interesting one. This was easily my favorite of the Forever Evil tie-in arcs. ARGUS's final issue was mostly a set up for something anew with ARGUS, the Crimson Men, & Steve Trevor. Honestly ARGUS really didn't do it for me on the whole. The ideas and concepts were interesting, but I feel Gates wasted far too much time pushing his pet character Killer Frost along with having Steve mope around about Diana instead of actually building up ARGUS itself by showing its surviving agents in action which was the original point of the story. If there is an ARGUS book coming I really do hope DC goes with Matt Kindt who was the original intended writer for this instead of Gates.

Fables: Witches, and Rose Red. Bufkin vs. Baba Yaga is up there as one of the most ridiculous fights in the series, and I have to give Willignham credit for how much he totally made it enjoyable and ultimately work. It was good seeing Ambrose have his first real battle of morals and politics with Haven. Also liked him finally getting together with Beauty. Really dug the build they gave to the Dark Man in terms of how he was captured and just what exactly he was. Totenkinder's transformation was interesting and I loved the duel with the Dark man. It was truly her most badass feat. It would have been a great way for her out of the story which makes her later defeat disappointing though it makes sense to the general theme of this next big battle being for a new group/generation. I was happy that it wasn't a total loss and they left Totenkinder for something of a happy ending. The revelations on Snow and Rose Red's pasts were interesting. It added some decent insight int Rose and seemingly broke down the last bit of the wall that was holding her back from growing.  Good read all around. This was a good bounce back from the weak Great Fables crossover.

Gotham Central: On The Freak Beat. The Catwoman/Josie team up was fun and gave some insight into Josie's character. The F the Bat issue was interesting and I assume a follow up on War Games. W/o having read it though I can't really say much about it as there is some missing context. The rest of the stories more less focused on Renee, continuing to build her character up. I dug them a good deal, particularly how they very much to seem to be pushing Renee having some temper problems. Anyways another good read all around, and again I'm finding myself wishing we had something like this in the current New 52, maybe even for more than just Gotham..

So I've always enjoyed the Constantine character. I want to get into his new 52 book but reading up on it I realized that this is a younger version of the character. I also read that Hellblazer which is now done was the more familiar version. So my question is which version is in JLD? Or does he stop being involved with that book altogether when his new book came out? On a related note has anyone read I, Vampire and is it worth reading?

So I've always enjoyed the Constantine character. I want to get into his new 52 book but reading up on it I realized that this is a younger version of the character. I also read that Hellblazer which is now done was the more familiar version. So my question is which version is in JLD? Or does he stop being involved with that book altogether when his new book came out?

His Nu52 title was spun out of JLD and as far as I know he is still a member of JLD. So if you're interested in a mainstream interacting with capes Constantine then you probably should start with JLD. If you're more interested in the classic Vertigo character than this seems to be the way to go.

So I've always enjoyed the Constantine character. I want to get into his new 52 book but reading up on it I realized that this is a younger version of the character. I also read that Hellblazer which is now done was the more familiar version. So my question is which version is in JLD? Or does he stop being involved with that book altogether when his new book came out?

His Nu52 title was spun out of JLD and as far as I know he is still a member of JLD. So if you're interested in a mainstream interacting with capes Constantine then you probably should start with JLD. If you're more interested in the classic Vertigo character than this seems to be the way to go.

So if I'm understanding you correctly the JLD character is the exact same as the Constantine character. So if I want to get the complete 52 experience with this character I should start with JLD #1 or even 0 I'm assuming. I did read that I Vampire was cancelled but I think I still want to check it out. Seems like a lot of good books are being cancelled right now. I can think of two or three that have just ended or are about to end. 

If you want to get a full view of Constantine's character int he New 52 you would have to start out with JLD from the beginning and go on from there eventually to his own book. I believe his involvement in JLD stopped with the last issue of the Blight Crossover (JLD #29).

A definitely check out I, Vampire. It was probably the best book in the Dark Line after Animal Man and Swamp Thing.

I read Batman #24, a monthly UK magazine collecting four issues instead of the usual three Batman #27, Batman and Two-Face #27, Nightwing #25 and Batman #23.1: The Joker in this order. Batman #26 continues Zero Year, a retelling of Batman’s beginnings as Batman goes up against a police unit out to put the Bat down permanently and we get Batman/Lieutenant Gordon interaction. This was a solid issue. Batman and Two Face #27 continues the story of Batman, Harvey Dent then Two-Face and the McKillen sisters in the past and the present. A very good issue, I’ve enjoyed this storyline. Nightwing #25 is about a young pre Robin, Dick Grayson set in Zero Year. It was mediocre. Batman #23.1: The Joker tells how The Joker created Jackanapes with flashbacks to Joker’s childhood, this was rubbish.

the batman/two-face arc is ok but nothing great. Batman & Robin has been pretty mediocre, especially since Damien died.

Have to disagree. I thought Peter J. Tomasi/Patrick Gleason’s start on the title was off the first two issues with the writing of Bruce Wayne/Damian Wayne. Since then, every issue I’ve liked (#0, #3-14, Annual #1, #18-27) and some were brilliant: Batman and Robin #0, Batman and Robin Annual #1, Batman and Robin #18 and Batman and Nightwing #23.

Honestly it doesn't really sound like particular good direction at all considering his personality. Its sounds like a semi-forced premise that is going to have to be retconned in a shitty way some years down the line if the book manages to even last that long. of course that has been my opinion of the FE reveal in general.