DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Totally forgot that DC released that Showcase Presents Amethyst volume last year. Needless to say I ordered it and expect in the mail at some point today

I'm actually surprised at how geeked I am to re-read this stuff!

James

The Joker: A Visual History of the Clown Prince of Crime by Daniel Wallace. This was one of my 29th birthday presents from my parents. The book starts with a fitting introduction by Mark Hamill. The book documents the history of the Joker in comics, films, TV, animation and videogames from the beginning, his relationship with Batman, Arkham Asylum, his bag of tricks, his crimes, his various origins, and Harley Quinn. The book also spotlights particular contributions to him such as Grant Morrison Paul Dini/Bruce Timm and Alan Moore. The book collects images from comics, films, TV, animation and videogames. This is the first book ever dedicated to a DC villain. I really enjoyed this book and it’s a deserving tribute to the greatest comic book villain of all-time.

The Cult was something I remember reading and loving when it first hit shelves and then revisited 10 years later and found my opinion of it changed. I wonder what a re-read now would evoke as a response from me. The fact it was an incontinuity story was also kind of crazy.

James

FYI: Comixology has every issue of Animal Man (including pre-new52 and annuals) except for #28 & tomorrow's final issue (#29) on sale for .99 each. I just bought Lemire's entire run. I cannot wait to binge read it as I always heard good things but didn't want to add it to my already bloated pull list.

• Like 1

FYI: Comixology has every issue of Animal Man (including pre-new52 and annuals) except for #28 & tomorrow's final issue (#29) on sale for .99 each. I just bought Lemire's entire run. I cannot wait to binge read it as I always heard good things but didn't want to add it to my already bloated pull list.

This very well could be the first New 52 series I double dip on. So good.

Read The Great Fables Crossover. I'm not entirely sure what the point of it was. The Literals were an interesting concept I suppose, but I didn't care for how they were done. It all ended up being a bit too goofy to be honest with little in the way of decent drama or cool moments save a few. I also felt it delayed a far more interesting story/direction in the main Fables book with the new villain and Rose Red's build to become the next big hero/heroine of the series. Can definitely see why some aren't high on it. Hopefully things improve with the next volume.

read Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast. very good story. find it hard to believe the bats would leave.the kgbeast trapped in the sewers.to die, but i assume that gets remedied or retconned at some point. i'm really digging Starlin's batman run in general

Read The Great Fables Crossover. I'm not entirely sure what the point of it was. The Literals were an interesting concept I suppose, but I didn't care for how they were done. It all ended up being a bit too goofy to be honest with little in the way of decent drama or cool moments save a few. I also felt it delayed a far more interesting story/direction in the main Fables book with the new villain and Rose Red's build to become the next big hero/heroine of the series. Can definitely see why some aren't high on it. Hopefully things improve with the next volume.

I recently rereadmy copy of issue 100 and it seemed like a lifetime ago.

read Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast. very good story. find it hard to believe the bats would leave.the kgbeast trapped in the sewers.to die, but i assume that gets remedied or retconned at some point. i'm really digging Starlin's batman run in general

There was a later issue where Bats basically said he knew the Best would escape and they would have to face off again but it was never followed up on as Bats next fought KGBeast's protege the NKVDemon. KGBeast wouldn't return until... I think the 3rd Robin miniseries.

James

There was a later issue where Bats basically said he knew the Best would escape and they would have to face off again but it was never followed up on as Bats next fought KGBeast's protege the NKVDemon. KGBeast wouldn't return until... I think the 3rd Robin miniseries.

James

wow, that's actually impressive that they left him alone for so long. i figured it would be a year or so down the line. thanks for the info!

It's more of a payoff to the stuff going on in Jack at the time than anything happening in Fables. If you read it more as part of that run? Fits perfectly. It's definitely a kind of odd aside for the main book though.

That makes sense. Still I don't really see why there had to be a crossover with the main book to payoff Jack's story.

Fables kind of assumes you're reading everything. If you skip 1001 Nights then you'll miss a lot of backstory they assume you know, and Fairest has had at least two major events happen that are reflected in the main book. The recent Fairest OGN also pays off at least two major main story plotlines. The spinoffs aren't really spinoffs because they're not important...they're just stories that wouldn't fit in the primary narrative. You CAN skip them but you will miss stuff and some plot points just plain won't make whole sense without them. 

That makes sense. Still I don't really see why there had to be a crossover with the main book to payoff Jack's story.

Fables kind of assumes you're reading everything. If you skip 1001 Nights then you'll miss a lot of backstory they assume you know, and Fairest has had at least two major events happen that are reflected in the main book. The recent Fairest OGN also pays off at least two major main story plotlines. The spinoffs aren't really spinoffs because they're not important...they're just stories that wouldn't fit in the primary narrative. You CAN skip them but you will miss stuff and some plot points just plain won't make whole sense without them. 

Which ones would you suggest I read?

Calling it FOREVER Evil has become way too literal. It is really just dragging on horribly this point. Especially for idiots like me who are buying all the tie ins like ARGUS, Arkham War, Rogues Rebellion, and the whole Blight thing going on in JL Dark, Constantine, Phantom Stranger, and Pandora. I just want it to be done and for the rest of the DC Universe to catch. Shit, my pull (which did include some Marvel, Image, & IDW) this week was 15 fucking books!

As an aside, anyone else have an extremely light pull list for next week? Is it me or is hardly anything coming out?

Forever Evil #7 and everything associated with the timing of it have been delayed until the end of May if anyone still cares.

ugh. heard this earlier in the week. SO pissed that Nightwing's final issue is pushed back also. all i want to see is what happens. fucking ridiculous.