DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think you all in the last half day have given more thought to all of this than WCW did. Hogan's only interested in putting over Hulk Hogan.Sure the logical thing would have been to build up to a legit Hogan/Goldberg rematch with no bullshit. But even if they did that (say for The Great American Bash in a cage or something), at the last minute Hogan would have used his power and made Goldberg look weak in the process.

I mean hell, look at Hogan now. Despite being 61 and brittle as anything he's trying to con his way into a match with Brock Lesnar just so he can get the win back from the match against him on Smackdown.

Goldberg was doomed the moment he beat Hogan in the Georgia Dome.

That's what made the Hogan/HBK match so "epic." Arguably the two biggest bitches in the history of the business, somebody was going to whine. Turns out, it was Shawn seling like Hennig on speed.

I've always thought Vince and Hogan hoodwinked Shawn into thinking it would be a best 2 out of 3 feud. Hogan got his victory and paycheck, then walked the fuck out, like he had always planned to do.

My favorite thing was Hulk making him lay on the mat for a minute before hitting the leg drop. 

At the time it was said they tried to get Hogan to lose the first match and win the rematch. But he did not not trust Vince or Shawn to follow thru.

Kurt Angle that was so masterfully introduced in the WWE; well, besides tapping clean to the Human Lego Figure Tazz with two z's as his first loss.

You listen to the reaction Taz got in MSG that night and tell me that was the wrong choice. 

Man, fuck that, Tazz going over Angle was the right call and a great debut. They just didn't do anything with him after that.

Yeah, this was my main problem with it. I mean it certainly didn't hurt Angle. If anything it greatly furthered his self-righteous jerkass Olympic Hero persona. But it's really marred by Tazz's demotion to the hardcore division where he primarily feuded with Crash; a feud that seemed to have no other purpose than "Hey, you stupid marks; look at that! Tazz is just as puny as this other glorified dwarf." By the time the junk with naked Mideon and Jerry Lawler came down the pike, Tazz was already worthless as a guy you could plug in as a wrecking machine in a pinch.

I think you all in the last half day have given more thought to all of this than WCW did. Hogan's only interested in putting over Hulk Hogan.Sure the logical thing would have been to build up to a legit Hogan/Goldberg rematch with no bullshit. But even if they did that (say for The Great American Bash in a cage or something), at the last minute Hogan would have used his power and made Goldberg look weak in the process.

I mean hell, look at Hogan now. Despite being 61 and brittle as anything he's trying to con his way into a match with Brock Lesnar just so he can get the win back from the match against him on Smackdown.

Goldberg was doomed the moment he beat Hogan in the Georgia Dome.

That's what made the Hogan/HBK match so "epic." Arguably the two biggest bitches in the history of the business, somebody was going to whine. Turns out, it was Shawn seling like Hennig on speed.

I've always thought Vince and Hogan hoodwinked Shawn into thinking it would be a best 2 out of 3 feud. Hogan got his victory and paycheck, then walked the fuck out, like he had always planned to do.

My favorite thing was Hulk making him lay on the mat for a minute before hitting the leg drop. 

At the time it was said they tried to get Hogan to lose the first match and win the rematch. But he did not not trust Vince or Shawn to follow thru.

Wait, am I confusing the two matches or didn't Hogan also take his sweet ass time hitting the legdrop on Orton at the next year's Summerslam?

Fuck Shawn for ever thinking he was big enough a deal that even a decrepit Hogan should have to agree to some even Steven dogshit just to have the privilege of getting a win over HBK. What a deluded little twatwaffle.

• Like 1

Naw dog naw

All I'm saying is if you could do flips you'd be doing them all the time too

I'd be doing 450 spike taking out the garbage and dishwashing con giro

And you'd never want to use my bathroom, that's for sure

This is how every month should end.

Tazzz managed to stay over no matter how much he was jobbed. They were giving him a pretty strong push by 02, I think if he had kept wrestling, he would have done really well in the brand split. 

For whatever reason, fans really believe in him. Even last year in TNA, he got a big reaction standing up to Bully Ray. 

I honestly don't remember any strong push...feud with Lawler, tag team with Raven, and he was a Scott Norton/NWO level guy in the Alliance. As far as pop, would have to look back at ' 02. Blew the fucking roof off the Garden in his debut, way over in the Northeast for sure.

It's because Heyman protected him really well and he had cool music. Even if you get dumped upon later on, there's a mythos that never goes away from having a really good run.

Exactly. It doesn't matter if he's broken down now with no neck and about 100 pounds overweight. We still remember the Taz who could suplex anyone on their head and choose to believe that he could still do that to anyone at any given time. It's a shame they didn't fully transform Joe into the new Taz when Taz debuted in TNA. Joe becoming the successor to the Taz Dojo and all things FTW would have been great.

Around that same time there was a brief staredown between Taz and Homicide during a Cide/Joe match on Impact. For those 15 seconds I wanted to see Taz throw down with Homicide.

• Like 1

The Radicalz coming in is what killed Tazz. Once they had the other, significantly better sawed off every dude that throws suplexes, what do they need Tazz for?

Bah, I never bought into the whole "sawed off suplex machine quota." There were plenty of midcard hacks like Hardcore Holly, X-Pac, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn around who should've been getting choked out like bitches around the clock by Tazz for a couple of years. Yes, yes, they had to do their due diligence on pushing the likes of Billy Gunn and Chyna but who really thought either one of them were going to break out? Why couldn't they have kept Tazz strong enough to have a prolonged feud with that Canuck Paralyzer guy?

I may joke about the orange Lego's garden gnome stature but I totally bought into the Mike Tyson-esque "I'm the baddest MF'er alive schtick" Tazz was doing in ECW. If they would've kept him strong he could've even been a credible pre-Streak acknowledgement WM opponent for 'Taker considering some of those throwaway farces 'Taker ended up being a part of during those turn of the century 'Manias.

• Like 1

Taz(z) was crazy over at One Night Stand 2 against Lawler. Shit the Hammerstein went crazy when his music hit at the first one. and he was behind the desk for 3-4 years in those two instances and the crowd still loved him. Granted it was the ECW crowd who cheered him years before but he never lost that respect. If you can say one thing about Taz its that he earned the fans respect. andd they are behind forever now. Harder feat then it seems.

The one show I ever went to at MSG had really only one special "This is MSG" moment, and that was Tazz coming down unadvertised during his announcer period and break something up and he was super over. 

WWE US & Smackdown! Tag Team Champion Eddie Guerrero defeated John Cena and Rhyno by pinning Cena with the frog splash at 6:45 after Rhyno hit the Gore on Cena who held up the title belt, knocking out both challengers; after the bout, Cena insulted NYC which prompted Tazz to come to the ring and apply the Tazzmission on Cena