DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't see Cena walking out with the title. If he wins then Rollins will cash in on him, leading to Rollins/Ambrose for the title in HIAC. HIAC is an important show too because that's the resubscription show for the people who started subscribing right before Wrestlemania. I wonder if they are aware of that.

I'm reasonably certain that IF Cena wins the belt back, that Rollins is walking out as champion. 

Now, Brock should keep the belt but, for all the reasons listed, they may not go there. I'd have Big Dave cost Brock the match, setting up that program for down the line, Cena gets a fluke win, Rollins comes up and curbstomps him and now you have two hot programs immediately and a perfect set-up for Ambrose and Rollins for the Fall. 

Now, the issue is that there's little chance they book Rollins well against Cena. Really, Cena needs a fucking legacy feud away from the up and comers. They booked Shawn as a main eventer for years and he was usually miles away from the belt. That aside, shifting Cena in a few lengthy feud with Rusev would work, especially because I'm pretty sure Lana could get them booed.

I do think WWE could benefit from having a champion who shows up once a month  but I asked the question because we know WWE views NOC as a big show. Subscriptions are up. They need something to draw people back in. But at the same time, I am not seeing how Brock/Cena rematch where most people would think Cena is winning will = More buys. 

With that said, I have already renewed. There's enough stuff on the network for me to watch and PPVs at a reduced price are still worth it to me. I feel like I'm in the minority though.

One more thing. If Brock does lose, What's the point of having Lesnar break the streak and then dominate Cena when the end result is a month long title reign and he goes away for a while?

They could quit showing PPVs and remove everything they've put out except for documentaries since WMXXI or so and I'd still resubscribe.  Current stuff has no bearing at all for me. 

I don't see Brock losing the title so quickly.  I could see Cena having a much more competitive match and not losing cleanly, perhaps setting up a feud with a third party until it's time for him to finally beat Brock. 

That's my question.  Seems like a massive waste of time to have booked Brock so strong this year only to have him have a one month run as champ and give Cena his win back.

Someone obviously dropped the memo that NOC was the most important non Mania PPV of the year due to the initial renewals. They're heating it up with Cena fighting back against his worst loss ever to win his title back. That's what they think will draw with the wide majority of their fanbase.

That's my question.  Seems like a massive waste of time to have booked Brock so strong this year only to have him have a one month run as champ and give Cena his win back.

Someone obviously dropped the memo that NOC was the most important non Mania PPV of the year due to the initial renewals. They're heating it up with Cena fighting back against his worst loss ever to win his title back. That's what they think will draw with the wide majority of their fanbase.

But it won't draw a dime and we know that so why don't they?

• Like 1

But it won't draw a dime and we know that so why don't they?

That's a good question.

The answer is generally "Because Vince."

• Like 1

If Brock wins, I see no way that Rollins cashes in the briefcase, and if he does, I don't see him taking the title.  I'd love to see Rollins-Ambrose become a feud over the WWE Championship, but I also want to see Lesnar as a "part-time" champion for a while, again as a throwback to the days when the champion only defended rarely, and only made infrequent appearances.  That being said, if Rollins ends up with it, I'd like to see him drop it to Ambrose, even briefly, just to see which announcer will try to sneak in calling Dean the "Title Master" while he is champion.

This is the reason they're doing this match again.  Look at all the debate over who will win.  It's rare that we get that these days.

It's good for discussion on the board but I don't think it translates to subscriptions and I'm fully aware that most people don't give a rat's ass about # of subs but I feel like I should because I like the network and I want it to do well.

If Brock wins, I see no way that Rollins cashes in the briefcase, and if he does, I don't see him taking the title.  I'd love to see Rollins-Ambrose become a feud over the WWE Championship, but I also want to see Lesnar as a "part-time" champion for a while, again as a throwback to the days when the champion only defended rarely, and only made infrequent appearances.  That being said, if Rollins ends up with it, I'd like to see him drop it to Ambrose, even briefly, just to see which announcer will try to sneak in calling Dean the "Title Master" while he is champion.

Cena wins, just barely.

Rollins cashes in.

Ambrose has a winter 98-99 payoff feud with Rollins where he takes the title once or twice but Rollins ultimately has it for

Reigns to beat him at Wrestlemania.

as

Brock wrestles Cena in a gimmick blow off match.

or

Brock wrestles Rock.

and

Cena wrestles hell-if-i-know.

Bryan's not back until after Mania now, right?

I could even see them panic and run with something like Rollins vs Cena instead of Rollins vs Reigns at Mania.

• Like 1

Cena wins, just barely.

Rollins cashes in.

Ambrose has a winter 98-99 payoff feud with Rollins where he takes the title once or twice but Rollins ultimately has it for

Reigns to beat him at Wrestlemania.

as

Brock wrestles Cena in a gimmick blow off match.

or

Brock wrestles Rock.

and

Cena wrestles hell-if-i-know.

Bryan's not back until after Mania now, right?

I could even see them panic and run with something like Rollins vs Cena instead of Rollins vs Reigns at Mania.

If they can get Sting signed, and the Undertaker is unwilling/unable to go at Mania, I could see them going with Cena vs. Sting as a battle of icons.  That also assumes, of course, that Hogan can't get cleared to wrestle, as I've read that he also wants to face Cena, and I could see that headlining Mania as well.  I would love a Wrestlemania of Rollins-Ambrose (for the title), Brock-Rock, Cena-Hogan, and Taker-Sting, just for the site of so many big/legendary names on one card.

Re: Hogan-Cena.  Couldn't you do something with Hogan being determined to beat Cena and making it Anything Goes then bringing back all his cronies (Jimmy Hart comes out and hands him the megaphone, Orndorff drops his crazy elbow drop, Tugboat does a splash, Big Show channels Andre the Giant) to help him cheat to win but Cena overcomes the odds, the NWO hit the ring and Cena's almost down but overcomes the odds to beat Hogan with his own legdrop and the handshake aftewards?  It wouldn't be a great wrestling match, but you could make it an unforgettable spectacle with guest appearances and brawling and showcases for past WM Hogan-era stars.

Re: Hogan-Cena.  Couldn't you do something with Hogan being determined to beat Cena and making it Anything Goes then bringing back all his cronies (Jimmy Hart comes out and hands him the megaphone, Orndorff drops his crazy elbow drop, Tugboat does a splash, Big Show channels Andre the Giant) to help him cheat to win but Cena overcomes the odds, the NWO hit the ring and Cena's almost down but overcomes the odds to beat Hogan with his own legdrop and the handshake aftewards?  It wouldn't be a great wrestling match, but you could make it an unforgettable spectacle with guest appearances and brawling and showcases for past WM Hogan-era stars.

And then you can have Sting come out to help Hogan and then everyone turns on him. 

• Like 1

I think the whole "Taker looked bad against Brock" thing is overstated.  He looked good early, got legit half-knocked out on the floor 5 minutes in, and the match was laid out to be Brock utterly dominating him and Taker spending nearly the entire match on his back, selling.

I didn't much care for it live, but I rewatched it the next day and liked it a bit more, and then I re-rewatched it when they put up that Wrestlemania Press Conference thingy that also had the match on it, and liked it a bit more still.  It's a big step down from the past 6 years or so, but it's a fairly solid match, and most of the weaknesses are in the layout (Taker getting such little offense) which was needed for this current unstoppable Brock push, and/or can be chalked up to Taker being severely concussed during most of it.

All that said, I think Taker could absolutely have another good or better match against a good opponent at Wrestlemania.  Sting, though, probably isn't that guy.

I am very much looking forward to Brock-Cena, and believe that is the best possible current match-up (Ambrose is off doing a movie, Bryan is injured, and Punk is on a sabbatical). I would be disappointed in Brock losing, just because he should be champ going into Mania. Cena can certainly afford another loss, and I expect Brock to go over.