DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

Looking like the wife's super early onset diverticulitis has come back. Last time, it was a week in the hospital and renal failure and what not. We're trying to get ahead of it this time but there were no appointments available until tomorrow. 

What on earth did she do to her knee?

My own son of a ... is this. I had some fainting spells at work (five times between 2011 and 2013), so last June they put a heart monitor in my chest. Anyway, last week I fainted on a bus ride home from work, so they checked out the heart monitor, and my heart stopped beating for 11 seconds. So guess who got scheduled for emergency pacemaker surgery last week. I can't shake the feeling that 36 is way too young to have one of these.

And eight weeks of not being able to play sports sure does suck.

She ruptured her patellar tendon in January of '13.  She has a genetic condition called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome in which your body doesn't produce collagen correctly, which among other things gives you weak tendons that tear easily, and really fucks up the healing process.  So the repair, and then replacement, they did back  then didn't take so they tried to go back in and repair it this year and she got an infection.  We've been dealing with the consequences of that.

I was going to bitch about the flat tire I got this morning, but it seems kinda small next to y'all's stuff.

Yer supposed to bitch about the small stuff too. There's not some "your life must suck worse than this" bar you must exceed to post in here.

So we've got the wife's diverticulitis under control we hope. She's on two antibiotics and a liquid diet for 3 days. Too early to say if it's working or not. They have to hit the right kind of bacteria with the abx which is why the hospital stays can be long, but we're doing it from home. Hopefully it doesn't escalate. Meant I was only in work for 2 days this week though. I do have over 100 sick days built up over the last ten years so there's that.

Does anyone know how SuperApe made out yesterday?

• Like 1

I wish everyone in here the best with their problems, from the various health problems and the disgusting story about the pimping cousin to the bad semester and the dog being put down. So I'll add my own bad story to hopefully amuse you all.

First of all, completely unexpectedly, I got a major raise at work. I never asked for a raise before and always just figured that my bosses (two great guys) would give me a raise whenever they felt the time was right. Apparently that was this past Tuesday. It's about a 40% raise, so that took me aback even more. Now, the 'SON OF A~!' part of the story...

I went out to a pub with my bosses to celebrate. We've gone out to pubs several times before, and one of the two taught me how to brew my own beer, so that wasn't too crazy. I ended up staying late at the pub with one of the two, and we got crazy drunk. This was a place I frequent and my boss didn't know at all, so just as we exited the pub, I warned him rather strenuously (being drunk) that he should watch out where he goes because it's right next to a dangerous street. As I'm saying this, I open the door of the pub with my head turned over my shoulder to warn my boss. As I turn back to watch in front of him, I slam right into one of the pillars that hold up a small roof section outside. I have been going to that pub for years and years and years, and it never happened before. I slam my face right into the pillar. Hard. Right at the corner. Deep cut. Lots of bleeding. Hurts like hell right now.

So, the sequence of events: 'Watch where you're going.' -> 0.005 seconds later: SLAM! Cut. Bleed. Pain. Remorse. Laughter (from the boss).

I wish you all the best.

• Like 3

I wish everyone in here the best with their problems, from the various health problems and the disgusting story about the pimping cousin to the bad semester and the dog being put down. So I'll add my own bad story to hopefully amuse you all.

First of all, completely unexpectedly, I got a major raise at work. I never asked for a raise before and always just figured that my bosses (two great guys) would give me a raise whenever they felt the time was right. Apparently that was this past Tuesday. It's about a 40% raise, so that took me aback even more. Now, the 'SON OF A~!' part of the story...

I went out to a pub with my bosses to celebrate. We've gone out to pubs several times before, and one of the two taught me how to brew my own beer, so that wasn't too crazy. I ended up staying late at the pub with one of the two, and we got crazy drunk. This was a place I frequent and my boss didn't know at all, so just as we exited the pub, I warned him rather strenuously (being drunk) that he should watch out where he goes because it's right next to a dangerous street. As I'm saying this, I open the door of the pub with my head turned over my shoulder to warn my boss. As I turn back to watch in front of him, I slam right into one of the pillars that hold up a small roof section outside. I have been going to that pub for years and years and years, and it never happened before. I slam my face right into the pillar. Hard. Right at the corner. Deep cut. Lots of bleeding. Hurts like hell right now.

So, the sequence of events: 'Watch where you're going.' -> 0.005 seconds later: SLAM! Cut. Bleed. Pain. Remorse. Laughter (from the boss).

I wish you all the best.

Please tell me there's surveillance footage.

I was driving home in the final stretch of a really great road trip/family visit. I was on the Garden State Parkway when someone in a minivan with Delaware plates turned into my lane without considering that, you know, I was already there. I was literally less than an inch from this person hitting me. Thankfully, he didn't.

This is because I slammed on the breaks and swerved into the next lane on instinct. Thankfully, no one was there for me to plow into. And, thankfully, seat belts work.

However, my left should and seat belt did not get along so well in this situation. I strained a few muscles in my upper back, my arm and also pinched the ulnar nerve. It should only be a few days and I've got some muscle relaxers to get me through. But today really sucked.

I am out of pills right fucking now and am not enjoying it one bit. Thankfully I know people who can get things and I will have some morphine tomorrow. Right now my back hurts so much that it's hard to type. Yesterday we had to put our oldest (17) cat down. Medea had a great life, but I'm going to miss her. She went way downhill in a matter of days and was in obvious pain, so it was time.

Going to be out of pills soon and the demons will be in full control til July, 

My friend, eight weeks ain't shit. Wait another 15-20 years when the shit starts breaking down for good. I played softball at a pretty high level up until age 52. The soaking my legs in ice after every game just sort of killed the fun eventually. Too many years of playing shortstop while overweight did the job. I switched to pitching to prolong my "career" but within two years my ankles and knees got to be so bad that I was defensive liability so I hung it up. Been five years now and I still miss it (especially showing up guys twenty years younger), but it is what it is. I don't know what sports you play, I always believed the old adage "Speed never slumps" and while that's true, what they don't tell you is that time will always win out, time is a relentless motherfucker and the human body will always start to break down. I played stupid, because I played hurt (a lot) and while I wouldn't change a thing (except starting much earlier, I didn't start playing until my late twenties), just maybe I would have sat out a few games if I knew that it would allow me to play longer. Enjoy the hell out of the next fifteen years!

What on earth did she do to her knee?

My own son of a ... is this. I had some fainting spells at work (five times between 2011 and 2013), so last June they put a heart monitor in my chest. Anyway, last week I fainted on a bus ride home from work, so they checked out the heart monitor, and my heart stopped beating for 11 seconds. So guess who got scheduled for emergency pacemaker surgery last week. I can't shake the feeling that 36 is way too young to have one of these.

And eight weeks of not being able to play sports sure does suck.

I'm afraid so... No, in all seriousness I have a prescription, I just borrowed from my sister-in-law who also has a scrip. I just pay her back in kind when I pick mine up tomorrow. Stupid doctors don't realize that most months have 31 days so when you write a scrip for 30 days the patient is going to be fucked for one day. My doc started out writing a scrip for 28 days as "that's four  weeks, which is a month." I put an end to that nonsense real quick. As a product of the 1970s, I am a firm believer in better living through chemistry and while I'm quite familiar with chronic pain, there's absolutely no reason to tolerate it when there are alternatives. I also refuse to have back surgery as everyone I know came out worse for the experience; the idea of someone poking around that close to the spinal column does not appeal one bit when four little pills a day alleviates the problem. (120 mg of oxycodone and 120 mg of morphine sulfate), yeah, what most people would call an overdose, I call "breakfast". ;-)

You just made us all accessories to something, didn't you?