DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

As part of her ongoing after-treatment from her cancer stuff in 2012/2013, my wife had a CT scan a week or two ago.  They told her, "we will only call you if there's a problem".  They called.  The problem?  Nothing.  A few days ago, she had a mammogram.  "We will only call you if there's a problem".  She went out of town yesterday to a place with no cell reception.  I get home from work and there's a message from the doctor's office asking her to call.  I debated saying anything since she wouldn't be able to call right away and would justifiably be freaked out.  In the end, I decided to tell her (Facebook messenger, ftw) they'd called and she freaked out.  That was roughly 7pm.  And she wasn't even sure the doctor would be in the office today.  If not, that would mean 3-1/2 days of not knowing wtf the call was about, panicking the whole time.  She was able to get ahold of the doctor's office this morning.  The problem?  NOTHING.

So let me issue a big, fat, shoved sideways up their ass, F-U to doctor's offices and health care professionals that think ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of calling people and worrying them for no goddamn reason.  If you tell somebody "we only call if there's a problem", then DON'T FREAKING CALL when there isn't a problem.  Who the hell does that?  Especially if you're just leaving a message.  You can't leave any info in the message so DON'T LEAVE THE FREAKING MESSAGE.  Call back.  Or, better yet, DON'T FREAKING CALL.  It's so goddamned thoughtless and uncaring and...ARGH...I can't even express the anger I'm feeling right now.  

So, yeah, F-U.

• Like 3

As part of her ongoing after-treatment from her cancer stuff in 2012/2013, my wife had a CT scan a week or two ago.  They told her, "we will only call you if there's a problem".  They called.  The problem?  Nothing.  A few days ago, she had a mammogram.  "We will only call you if there's a problem".  She went out of town yesterday to a place with no cell reception.  I get home from work and there's a message from the doctor's office asking her to call.  I debated saying anything since she wouldn't be able to call right away and would justifiably be freaked out.  In the end, I decided to tell her (Facebook messenger, ftw) they'd called and she freaked out.  That was roughly 7pm.  And she wasn't even sure the doctor would be in the office today.  If not, that would mean 3-1/2 days of not knowing wtf the call was about, panicking the whole time.  She was able to get ahold of the doctor's office this morning.  The problem?  NOTHING.

So let me issue a big, fat, shoved sideways up their ass, F-U to doctor's offices and health care professionals that think ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of calling people and worrying them for no goddamn reason.  If you tell somebody "we only call if there's a problem", then DON'T FREAKING CALL when there isn't a problem.  Who the hell does that?  Especially if you're just leaving a message.  You can't leave any info in the message so DON'T LEAVE THE FREAKING MESSAGE.  Call back.  Or, better yet, DON'T FREAKING CALL.  It's so goddamned thoughtless and uncaring and...ARGH...I can't even express the anger I'm feeling right now.  

So, yeah, F-U.

I'm the type of person that hates anticipation and the unknown anyway, so add in the fear of thinking something could be wrong......man, that's just fucking awful.  And unnecessarily cruel.

Fuck you to the woman who, in the middle of a relationship about to go into its sixth year with someone else, decides to tell me she loves me...when she is going to be proposed to literally any day now. And who decides to drunkenly text me talking about how she misses me every day and how everything reminds her of me. I can't possibly imagine a more unfair scenario to put on myself since there's not a thing I can do about it because she's not going to give up what she has with the other guy. Just unbelievable.

Fuck you to the woman who, in the middle of a relationship about to go into its sixth year with someone else, decides to tell me she loves me...when she is going to be proposed to literally any day now. And who decides to drunkenly text me talking about how she misses me every day and how everything reminds her of me. I can't possibly imagine a more unfair scenario to put on myself since there's not a thing I can do about it because she's not going to give up what she has with the other guy. Just unbelievable.

I think you should contact the other guy and tell him what's up.  And kiss any friendship with either one of them goodbye.

I might be pissed, but I'm not vindictive like that. I'm just gonna walk away from it.

Even if the guy ignores you, I think it's being a Good Citizen to give him a heads-up.  Especially if you can give him a copy of the text or something.  After that, it's up to him to decide what to do with that info.  I don't see it as being vindictive toward the girl at all.

She's probably just getting Wedding jitters. She's realising that she's going to be with the other fella for the rest of her life and wondering how green the grass might be on the other side. And naturally, she's putting no thought at all into how acting like that might affect anyone else, most specifically you.

So fuck her. In either sense of the phrase.

Anybody else literally not doing anything for Thanksgiving? Like, I don't mean the same old deal, but just sitting at home eating a pathetic meal? Honestly, I'm probably going to have a packet of Nissin Oriental Ramen (I'm border vegan/veg and that's all I can afford, plus I'm penniless), along without any television or media forms and that's it. At this point in my life, I haven't had any holiday or family get-together in about a decade, because I quite frankly have no family members nearby in NJ or willing to give a damn about me. I've lost that heart-warming feel for holidays/notable dates years ago, but it still heavily gets to me, sitting in a dark house year after year as the seasons pass.

I miss the salad days of zeal-filled youth.

It'll be my first year of only one Thanksgiving dinner.  Used to do stuff with both sides of the family, but various factors have meant that my mom's side of the family won't be getting together for the holiday for the first time in my lifetime.  Will still be going to my grandma-on-my-dad's-side's place, anyway.

Anybody else literally not doing anything for Thanksgiving? Like, I don't mean the same old deal, but just sitting at home eating a pathetic meal? Honestly, I'm probably going to have a packet of Nissin Oriental Ramen (I'm border vegan/veg and that's all I can afford, plus I'm penniless), along without any television or media forms and that's it. At this point in my life, I haven't had any holiday or family get-together in about a decade, because I quite frankly have no family members nearby in NJ or willing to give a damn about me. I've lost that heart-warming feel for holidays/notable dates years ago, but it still heavily gets to me, sitting in a dark house year after year as the seasons pass.

I miss the salad days of zeal-filled youth.

Dunno if this is your thing or not but try contacting some local churches.  My church does a thing every year where they host a thanksgiving dinner at the church itself.  Anybody who wants to come is welcome to come.  

In the past, we either hosted Thanksgiving at our house* or my mother-in-law would host.  MIL can't do it anymore and my wife simply no longer has the strength to do it since her cancer treatments.  So we end up going to the local country club with the in-laws.  I hate it.  It's very sterile-feeling and I hate the idea of making the club's staff work to serve us on Thanksgiving.  And, well, we don't get leftovers.  I mean, you do, but the amount is always really small and my brother-in-law takes them.  He generally foots the bill for the meal since he's the member there so I'm not gonna complain.  But, quite honestly, one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving is the massive sandwich I make from leftovers the next day.  My wife will sometimes make a turkey for me for just that purpose.  So, yeah, not a fan of the country club Thanksgiving.  For the last few years, we've been invited to join some good friends of ours for the meal at their house.  I would absolutely LOVE to do that.  It would be tons of (great) food, a bunch of people I really like and just be big, loud, and fun - exactly how I picture it should be.  We had Christmas dinner with them one year and that's exactly how it was.  Just amazing.  But...my wife wants to maximize every Thanksgiving with her parents she can get and so the country club it is :(

Last time we hosted Thanksgiving, we had something like 17 people for the meal.  We don't exactly having a dining room that can accommodate that many people so ended up just moving all the furniture out of the way and creating one big long table using folding tables.  It was freaking awesome.  It was big, it was loud, it was FUN.  Awesome.

In my case, there's some degree of family drama that I'd rather not talk about...so everyone on my mom's side of the family is just doing their own thing this year for Thanksgiving.  It was always kind of a potluck deal on my mom's side while my grandma on my dad's side does most of the cooking for that get-together.  I don't contribute too much, usually just the pumpkin pie...the Mick Foley pie recipe from JR's old cookbook, oddly enough.  :)

I'm in an odd place where I actually like cooking/baking but rarely have to motivation to do it on a regular basis...when you're cooking for one, it's easy to get stuff at the grocery store so you can just get home from work and throw it in the microwave.  Not the best for one's long-term health, but finances are still a factor to some extent.

So, health update:

You know... when the phrase "Well, I can't see a stress fracture in the x-ray".. was the positive result of the doctor's visit, you know it didn't go too well.

"Hip replacement at this time is contraindicated (because of other health issue)" and "Walking any distance is ambitious".. Fuck the world.

They're going to try acquatic therapy (to take stress of the hip joint) and possibly a cortisone shot to stop the pain I'm in.

Short term disability may becoming long term disability.

You don't have Thanksgiving. We Brits don't have to be grateful for someone letting our ancestors steal their country.

(Technically we do... unless you're pure blood Celt or Pict, and a follower and Druidism and that. Which basically nobody is. I'm mostly Gaul and a bit of Dane, apparently. My Great Grandma was Liverpool Irish, but she lied and said she was Scottish, because Irishness was something to be ashamed of 100-odd years ago).

You don't have Thanksgiving. We Brits don't have to be grateful for someone letting our ancestors steal their country.

(Technically we do... unless you're pure blood Celt or Pict, and a follower and Druidism and that. Which basically nobody is. I'm mostly Gaul and a bit of Dane, apparently. My Great Grandma was Liverpool Irish, but she lied and said she was Scottish, because Irishness was something to be ashamed of 100-odd years ago).

Yeah, what the hell? They don't call him William the Conquerer for nothing. And you guys got Cnut'ed before that.
  • Like 1