DVDVR Message Board

JULY ANIMATED GIF THREAD

Can we talk about how much Mikey Whipwreck rocked now?  Okay!

Mikey's look of not having a pro wrestler look is by design.  He was originally conceived of as basically a 'Wrestling School Drop-Out' who looked like he got dressed in whatever stuff was laying around the house.  The dragon T-shirt could be found in pretty much any Wal-Mart at the time and served as something a guy who didn't know what tough was would wear to look tough.  

Mikey was not.

Whipwreck took one of the key maxims of pro wrestling that faces are brave and turned it on his head.  Mikey was petrified of everyone and was not ashamed to mention it.  Him and Cactus cut this brilliant promo on Public Enemy once where Cactus was going through the list of people he had pissed off like Vader as Mikey squeaked stuff like "He ripped your ear off..." in a tiny little voice.  And then basically admitted that he was about to die.  I'm not doing this justice.  But fuck man, here was a guy who wasn't brave and strong and got his ass kicked all the time.  And man, Mikey would bump like Jesus on a donkey and get destroyed again and again.  

He's like my favorite ECW character ever and a nice worker to boot although not like the best of all time or anything.  We've talk about wrestling being wish fulfillment before and sure we would all like to be fearless like Sabu or cool like RVD or bad ass like Taz.  But we were all a lot more Mikey Whipwreck with a weak chin and a dragon T-shirt.   Mikey wasn't a flippy guy really.  He was a guy getting pummeled within an inch of his life who maybe, just maybe could sneak away with his life if not his pride.  

The look worked with that character and I don't know that anyone can argue that.  The evolution into a more serious threat with Tajiri and The Sinister Minister in the Unholy Alliance held onto some of the old trappings for continuities sake and worked to demonstrate just how unhinged Mikey had become.

• Like 1

I don't know what he was. He does look like he should get raped in jail. Really why would this high end prospect get a pinfall over even Stunning Steve Austin?

Because Austin thought it was better for his character to put Mikey over. It was his call.

“Steve had two matches in ECW, I wish he had 2000,” Heyman says. “He wrestled Mikey Whipwreck at the November to Remember 1995 for the ECW World Title and he wrestled Mikey Whipwreck and The Sandman in a Three-Way Dance for the ECW World Title in December 1995. I wanted to build ECW around Steve Austin as the World Champion. I even pitched to Steve winning the Title at the November to Remember 1995, but he was such a fan of Mikey Whipwreck, he thought it would be better if Mikey won the match and also, Steve thought it was better for his character.

Heyman continues, “And this is where Steve was so ahead of the game, far ahead of everybody else. Steve thought it was better for his character to lose and bitch about it, cause then he had something else to be angry about. Then he had another reason to push that character all the way to the line, all the way to the wall. And he knew that in losing, he could become a bigger star than if he won the ECW World Title.

"It was such a joke; the whole proceedings, that Steve could've jobbed to my mom's strap-on dick and it wouldn't have been less of a farce."

I believe you're the kind of guy who would know quite a lot about jobbing to their mom's strap on dick.

Truly bizarre stuff comes out of me when I get on the drinky drink. Please excuse me; for the bizarreness, not the disdain for a jobber like Mickey Whiprack. I still say Mikey Whipwreck did some Cat Bladderson level favors for Paul E. to even be put in a match with Steve Austin and Sandman much less go over Austin. Whipwreck going over anybody of note in ECW is as bad as if some 2nd rate outfit like TNA pushed Brian Windhorst as a Vader-esque hoss.