DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact: Destination X Spoilers for 7/31

• 1 month later...

The opening bit with all the direct ECW stuff was a fantastic ad for the WWE Network. Hardys-Wolves was an okay-ish video game match, but not as good as it could've been even by the standards of it being a TV match. The post-match and replays made it seem like an important match though. The first X three-way was full of Nova-ish goofy shit, but I liked Z's outside-in curb stomp. I demand Seth use that, and I loved the double stomp as a facebuster counter in the Ki Crusher. The second three-way was a fantastic showcase for Brian Cage that Sanada won. The 3D/Dreamer - Dixie's crew promo over-delivered. It was heated and set up next week's main event perfectly. The hype video for H AND SOME LETTERS/HAVOK was weird. Joe won a nothing match, but it was a fun match. Sanada-Joe-Ki should be amazing! Lashley has really overdelivered as a signee in every way. He came back with no hype at Lockdown, and wound up having better matches than ever before, finally finding a role that fits him perfectly, The main event was fantastic, and he had perfect chemistry with Aries. The clips spoiling next week's main event finish was odd, but a smart way to hype up next week's show in a way as well.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/07/tna-impact-7-31-14-destination-x-2014.html

Screens -

402616342294654.jpg

261d0f342298958.jpg

b9077c342298990.jpg

7586fe342298998.jpg

c0289f342300746.jpg

696144342300740.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/2wz8ko61h4i466ir8jcbjasw4q6ejvkl

Fun show. Also thought Wolves/Hardyz was good but felt like it could've been more. Enjoyed the Team Bully/Team Carter promo.. good stuff from Dreamer & Bully. Thought Joe looked good in his X Division match. Wasn't expecting the Jessicka Havok vignette, pretty cool. I feel she's often hit or miss but she's certainly one of the bigger names in the women indys so I'm interested to see what she does in TNA. I prefer her early WSU stuff to her more recent matches. Lashley/Aries was a very good main event. Thought they had just the right amount of perfect hope spots from Aries and Lashley's looked great as the unstoppable monster thus far. Hope Aries sticks around the main event, always delivers big every time out. Looking forward to next week's #ITHAPPENS

Good to see Jessicka Havok preparing to debut. I'm surprised it's taken a company this long to sign her. I had a feeling something like this was coming after the whole stripping her of the title thing in WSU.

Good to see Jessicka Havok preparing to debut. I'm surprised it's taken a company this long to sign her. I had a feeling something like this was coming after the whole stripping her of the title thing in WSU.

This surprised me cause I sat next to her at tonight's NXT tapings.

Ah, remember when CBS revealed that Kristin shot JR a week before the episode aired? Good times, good times.

Seriously, what the fuck was the point of that? I get the idea of brief match highlights since everyone knows those matches are happening, but why on Garfield's green earth would you drop an "unscheduled" angle like that? Last night was such a super show but the ending left such a bad taste in my mouth...

I wonder how much of TNA's audience reads spoilers. I would guess it's no more than ten or twenty percent of its 1.4 million viewers.

With that said, spoiling the big ending to next week's show is such a TNA thing to do that it's almost perfect that this promotion is well on the outs. 

I caught the back half of Aries/Lashley. I thought Lashley did a great job of playing the monster, force to be reckoned with heel. Anytime, Aries would build up hope spots. You would find Lashley cut it off to better than average heel heat.

• Like 1

Ok, call me Pollyanna,, but I wonder if this is a last ditch attempt to "pop a rating" to convince Spike to keep them on (even if it sounds like that ship has sailed).

"Next week, the thing you've all been wanting to see for months on end are going to happen. So tune in... PLEASE!"

Of course - there is some irony in the fact that the thing they are pimping is Dixie going through a table.

Which is one of the biggest pet peeves Spike had (Man on Woman violence)

You don't have to be a spoiler reader to know about it. I try to avoid spoilers like the plague, but even I know. There's a lot of jackasses that comment on TNA's Facebook and Twitter accounts that try to spoil shit for everyone. Lets face it, if the shoe was on the other foot and they didn't advertise it you guys know just as well as I do that you'd complain about that too.

Well I did notice a change with this set of tapings that TNA wasn't trying to pretend their shows where live anymore.

Like when all the guys on Twitter were promoting it - they were making it clear that the shows had been taped.

I don't know when they made that change but it does come off a little better and they avoid things like Bully Ray tweeting when he is also standing in the middle of the ring

I watched this show for the first time in forever, but I have some questions.

-Does James Storm wrestle anymore?  I'm a little baffled at James Storm: Mentor of Sanada.  Like, he talked about a revolution or something and he was going to be his mentor, then didn't hang around for his match.  What's the deal with this?

-Was this Low-Ki's first match back?  What's with the AKI Man bodysuit?

-Who in TNA has the Vince McMahon complex?  I mean, people give Vince shit constantly for hiring hosses and genetic freaks, but I don't think there's anyone on the show as jacked-up as The Freak or Brian Cage.  So who in TNA is ga-ga for ripped guys?

-I know the joke has been going on for a while that Samoa Joe had given up, but I audibly went "Holy shit" when I saw him.  When did he gain ALL the weight? Has it been a gradual thing? Or did he just show up one day after an absence and look awful?  Cuz he looks baaaaad.  He still wrestles okay, but Brodus Clay was in better wrestling shape than him....Brodus Clay!

-What's the deal with Crazzy Steve?  I get that he's a wrestling clown.  I like wrestling clowns.  I like Doink the clown.  When I used to play 'No Mercy' I had a whole stable of created wrestlers that were creepy clowns.  But why is his name Crazzy Steve?  Why the two Zs?  When I google 'Crazy Steve', I find out there's a character on a Nickleodeon show named Crazy Steve, is the second Z for copyright purposes?  Or is it just 'cuz he's Crazzy!?  Secondly, what kind of name is Steve for a clown?  Is it a tribute to 'Seinfeld'?  Is there going to be an episode where the Impact Zone catches fire, and Samoa Joe runs out of the arena, pushing away children and knocking down old ladies, later telling his friend that Steve the Clown put out the fire with his big shoe?  Because I would watch that?  But, seriously, Steve?  Also, are the Menagerie heels?  I can't fathom why anyone would cheer for them: like when are carnies the good guys ever, but it seems like they are face?

-I'm gonna preface this by saying: I've never really liked Austin Aries.  I know most people on the board go to bat for him, but I just find him to be on the level of Kofi Kingston: guy who can bump and do impressive stunts, but most of his moves leave me cold.  That said, I thought this match with Lashley was pretty solid.  EXCEPT for two things.  That goddamn clap behind my opponents' head that Aries does.  It looks TERRIBLE.  I can turn my brain off for irish whips, guys holding themselves in place a long time for set-up moves (Booker's axe kick, RVD's Van Daminator) and I can even abide The Snake/The Worm/The People's Elbow etc. but I CANNOT stand that move where Aries claps his hands waaaaay behind his opponent's head and the guy has to pretend like he hit him in the ears.  It is the single worst move right now in professional wrestling, which is funny, because I've been completely okay with guys like late,late-period Roddy Piper doing it, but somehow Piper made it look close.  Aries doing it looks awful, and doing repeated ones took me totally out of the match.  Secondly, Bobby Lashley's spear isn't very good.  When you've got a long history of guys doing that move and doing it reaaaaaally well (Goldberg, Rhyno, even Roman Reigns and even The Big Show's wasn't bad because it was believable that even at half-speed running hug, it would still hurt because the guy is 500 lbs), it looks reaaaaaally bad when you don't hit it well (See Edge).  When did he start doing that?  Why did he drop The Dominator?  Also, with him having an MMA match in early September, what does TNA do (provided they're still going) if he loses?  Do you pretend like nothing happened?  Do you acknowledge that your world champion lost a match on an MMA undercard?  It seems like a terrible risk to take for no reason.

-Have no real thoughts on the giveaway at the end.  On one hand, it kinda takes away any of the suspense of "Will Dixie go through the table?" if you haven't been reading spoilers.  On the other, does anyone who watches TNA NOT read the spoilers?  I figure anything that gets eyes on stuffing instead of potatoes is a good thing, provided they don't bait-and-switch it, build the whole show to it then go "Watch the UNCENSORED footage on tna.com!"  I know I'll probably be DVRing it, which brings me to my last question: How does ANYONE watch this show without DVRing it?  Seriously, the commercials are way too often and the breaks are sooooo long and bad?  I seriously don't know how anyone can watch this show, show quality aside, without being able to fast-forward through it?

• Like 1

-Who in TNA has the Vince McMahon complex?  I mean, people give Vince shit constantly for hiring hosses and genetic freaks, but I don't think there's anyone on the show as jacked-up as The Freak or Brian Cage.  So who in TNA is ga-ga for ripped guys?

-Have no real thoughts on the giveaway at the end.  On one hand, it kinda takes away any of the suspense of "Will Dixie go through the table?" if you haven't been reading spoilers.  On the other, does anyone who watches TNA NOT read the spoilers?  I figure anything that gets eyes on stuffing instead of potatoes is a good thing, provided they don't bait-and-switch it, build the whole show to it then go "Watch the UNCENSORED footage on tna.com!"  I know I'll probably be DVRing it, which brings me to my last question: How does ANYONE watch this show without DVRing it?  Seriously, the commercials are way too often and the breaks are sooooo long and bad?  I seriously don't know how anyone can watch this show, show quality aside, without being able to fast-forward through it?

1. The only other guy I can think of that is "jacked-up" on the roster currently is Lashley. They would have to hire way more guys to be accused of having a Vince McMahon complex. lol

2. Myself and many others avoid spoilers like the plague. Well, at least we try to. A better question is: "Does anyone who watches wrestling NOT know about the Dixie bump?".

3. When you watch Raw live like I do Impact isn't really that hard to watch as it airs. The mute button is your friend!

Isn't the clap behind the head spot kind of old school? I think the idea is that you jar the head via pressure on the eardrums ... it's a good way to get out of a bearhug.

• Like 1

Good show. Great Lashley/Aries match. I was like "Really? (duct tape)" when Lashley became champ (though understanding MVP was injured), but he's actually been a terrific champion so far and I'm surprised over how much he's improved in the ring. If TNA does go under, Lashley should be one of the guys WWE grabs (Aries too, if they don't overlook him for being small).

EDIT: Assuming WWE is up for hiring anyone for above peanuts pay these days, anyway.