DVDVR Message Board

May 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

Wow.. 90 minutes into the new month and no new thread? Folks are slipping.

So.. Madrid vs Madrid in the Champions League Final, and this is the month where 32 national team managers prays to all the Gods in the Heavens to avoid injuries right before the World Cup.

As a German I have to ask: Are you kidding me, Spain? After we get an all German final you have to top our shit by not only having a national affair for a CL final, but even a city derby. Damned Spain, always taking away our shine. Kidding aside, both teams have a rightful claim to Europe´s club footie crown. Both have performed well and won the majority of their matches, mostly in convincing fashion. Their previous matches in Spain made up for interesting footiematches.

Premiere League and La Liga have some great season finales coming up. A very cool Cup final in Germany with Bayern vs Dortmund and of course the pre World Cup atmosphere with the temperature rising! Looking forward to it all..

We had an all Spain CL Final before Italy, England and Germany so we had to up the ante somehow since so many copied us. Joking aside, honestly I would have rather Real Madrid face Chelsea than Atletico in the final. The thought of possibly being denied La Decima by our city rivals and their supporters joining Barcelona supporters in taunting us with "La Decima No Existe" chants because they have denied Los Blancos the 10th makes me very sad. I know me, personally, I was glad I did not celebrate (ie imbibe) making the final, as only winning finals is worth celebrating. It will be the toughest match of the entire season, but of course it always was going to be. Another twist for me personally, I actually will be away most of that day and will miss watching the Final live on the 24th. I'm going to do my best to avoid any news that day so when I get home that evening I can sit and watch it (recorded) and let it play out. So I may have a delayed reaction on the 24th but I'll have some kind of reaction. Whatever happens, win or lose, HALA MADRID! 

Excited to see who makes the Europa League finals from today's 2nd legs. Should be good.

I guess I will back Benfica too, they looked great anyway.  They have awesome jerseys, a cool ass bald eagle mascot, they are the last non-Spanish side in a Euro final, and they beat my boys, so props to them. Just heartbreaking to see Juve get to the semis and miss the final in their own stadium.

I was rooting for Valencia myself so yeah, after making that big comeback after the 1st leg it was pretty sad for it to get taken away in the dying moments. I have nothing against Sevilla, I just have a softer spot for Valencia over them through the years. I agree with Death From Above that I see Benfica winning this. They made the final last year and here they are again. Yesterday they went down to 10 men and then later down to 9 men due to Garay's injury and all the substitutions being used up, yet they managed by guts and the skin of their teeth to keep that score 0-0 and make the finals. I was hoping for a Valencia-Juventus final myself but an all Iberian final is good too. Benfica-Sevilla should be a fun game. All the European finals are Iberian affairs this season (Spain vs Spain, Portugal vs Spain). 

Well Spain is the best league in Europe, and Portugal is like the minor leagues for La Liga, so i'm not surprised.

Portugal just passed Italy in UEFA coefficient rankings also...sad to see as an Italian, but Portugal has been a hot bed for developing talent for decades now.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2014/05/01/4772517/portugals-europa-league-supremacy-speeds-up-italys-decline?ICID=SP

For a while, I've thought that the argument that La Liga isn't a top league, because Real and Barca generally can't be touched by the other teams, to be crap.  It is true that they mostly can't compete for the title, but they perform very well against comparable teams from the other top leagues in the UCL/EUL.  The Atleticos and Valencias of the world are good teams, but they can't challenge the big 2 and I don't think very many teams throughout Europe would be able to.

Of course, Atletico has changed that with their performance the last 2 seasons.  And I think that's because Diego Simeone brings something that La Liga has had difficulties dealing with.

• Like 1

Tony Pulis manager of the month for April. Hopefully he gets to set Manager of the Year next to that on the mantle for the work he's done to help Palace stay up. Let's see if they can throw a wrench in Liverpool's title hopes.

• Like 1

Far be it my place to talk about Tottenham players, but Paulinho and Adebayor were pathetic in the wall for that Downing free kick. They both turned to get out of the way. If you're not prepared to take one in the face or chest, then you should be honest and ask not to be in the wall.

• Like 1

Weapons grade nuttiness in the Championship today, with Birmingham surviving relegation and Brighton advancing to the playoffs at Doncaster/Reading's expense in injury time.

There was a story today that Giggs said that Ferdinand and Evra should get new deals.  I'm not sure how much Man Utd fans will like hearing that.  It's probably for the best (for the teams interests) that Giggs won't be the manager.