DVDVR Message Board

May 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

Sunderland gave all the top teams problems this year, so its not horrible. United still looked better then they have, they just had some bad bounces and the defense showed why we need an overhaul.

Sucks to see Fulham go down, as they always been good to U.S. players. I was hoping that getting Holtby would shore up their midfield and that Mitroglou (a colossal bust) could put enough goals away to keep them up, Hopefully their younger guys in the pipeline can step up and get them back into the top division.

Wow. Wow wow wow.

What a crazy finish to the championship

As it stood entering stoppage time

(Battle for 6th, last playoff spot)

Reading 2-2 Burnley

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Brighton

6 Reading (71 points, +14)

7 Brighton (70 points, +14)

Battle for 21st (Avoid relegation)

21 Doncaster (44 Points -31)

22 Birmingham (43 Points -17)

We enter the 93rd minute, when all unholy hell breaks loose.

Birmingham score to move into 21st place, and consign Doncaster to the drop

Brighton scores to pip the last playoff place away from Reading.

Insomniac alert: the A League Grand Final between Brisbane Roar and Western Sydney Wanderers is tonight on FS2. Coverage starts at 1AM eastern.

I don't know why Gunnersaurus shaking hands with the WBA players cracks me up like it does, but there you go. Probably the best BPL mascot for my money.

• Like 1

Fucking shithouse TSN. I get up at 6:30 am on my weekend just to watch football and they've lied about what's actually on.

Second last matchday of the season and not a single game on regardless of what their schedule says. Hilarious.

I don't know why Gunnersaurus shaking hands with the WBA players cracks me up like it does, but there you go. Probably the best BPL mascot for my money.

The Gunnersaurus moment of silence pictures always make me laugh

The Olsson play was definitely a penalty IMO. But since it wasn't given, then you couldn't give one for the Schurlle play. If Norwich were awarded a PK, then I think Chelsea would have been given one too.

The Hazard play is never a penalty. He just jumped into the defender, who has a right to stand his ground.

Fucking shithouse TSN. I get up at 6:30 am on my weekend just to watch football and they've lied about what's actually on.

Second last matchday of the season and not a single game on regardless of what their schedule says. Hilarious.

They were on TSN2. I only clued in 25 minutes in to the Arsenal game. Then went out for the morning and forgot to change my PVR recording for the Chelsea game.

Yeah I know, but I don't get TSN2, and it would have been nice if they had got the channel guide right on our satellite boxes and whatnot. It's a little late to find out they posted the schedules for their channels backwards once it's already arrived.

Only good thing about it was reading the angry tweets at TSN at 6:30 in the morning which amused me for the half hour until I went back to bed.

I'm just delighted this horror show of a season is over, and am stunned that it wasn't far worse. Starting the season on -10 points, under a transfer embargo and playing our "home" games 35 miles away in Northampton (which has seen us go from 2nd highest average attendance to lowest in just one season), I had us a dead cert to go down this year. That we didn't is down almost entirely to Steven Pressley, and if he doesn't win L1 manager of the year, then the award is a total farce. To take a team of very young players and keep them up under those circumstances is very tough, but to do it whilst sticking firmly to your philosophy of playing attractive, free-flowing football is astonishing. Presley's influence has seen Jordan Clarke go from competent, yet slight, right-back to an unbreakable rock in the centre of defence, whilst Callum Wilson has gone from 3years of obscurity to unquestionably the best striker in the league. Yes, there were a few stumbles later in the season - when Wilson was injured and Leon Clarke had essentially forced his way out of the club - but the job he's done is remarkable.

• Like 2

With a HEADER if my eyes didn´t deceive me. The atmosphere is awesome, though. The fans seem to be proud and happy with Palace´s season.

Tony Pulis had done a great job at Crystal Palace. Couple of Manager of the Year candidates in the Premier League: Rodgers, Pulis, Poyet if Sunderland stay up and Bruce.