DVDVR Message Board

May 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

VIllareal scores in the 87th minute, and may have killed Real Madrid's shot at the La Liga title. Four points down with 2 matches to play, and needing to pass Atletico AND Barca is a big task.

I feel so damn dirty cheering for City to draw on Sunday, because no way in hell does Liverpool beat Newcastle by 14 goals, and really, anyone but Liverpool.

• Like 1

This has turned into a potentially disastrous day for La Decima dreams. Ronaldo out after 8 minutes due to injury, the extent of which not yet known but he did not look happy at all. It looked like Pepe and DiMaria were struggling with potential injuries as well. If we lose those three for the Champions League final.. I just don't see it happening. I don't care about the  1-1 draw with Valladolid in terms of La Liga 'cos I felt we lost La Liga a while back between the Atletico draw, the Classico loss and the loss to Sevilla. I really only want La Decima, that is the only thing I want and it looks so close yet even further away now.

EDIT: New Papa Ramos' free kick goal was great though!

What combination of results will result in the maximum number of GIFs of fat pale bald men crying?

Liverpool loses.  That would cement the total pissing away of the Title.

Plus it means you would get a bunch gifs of fat Geordies with terrible tattoos wandering the streets without shirts on.

Wait, they are probably going to wander around shirtless win or lose.

Looking at the current permutations atop and bottom, what would be the largest final day goal swing anyone's ever remembered to pip the title/stave off relegation?

Plus it means you would get a bunch gifs of fat Geordies with terrible tattoos wandering the streets without shirts on.

Wait, they are probably going to wander around shirtless win or lose.

And possibly punching police horses.

Looking at the current permutations atop and bottom, what would be the largest final day goal swing anyone's ever remembered to pip the title/stave off relegation?

Just this past weekend, Hamilton and Dundee were battling it out for top place of the Scottish Championship. Going into it, Dundee were 1st with 66 points and a goal difference of +27. Hamilton in 2nd had 64 points and a goal difference of +19. If Hamilton won and Dundee drew, it would've gone down to goal difference. Hamilton ended up beating Morton 10-2, but it was all for nought as Dundee won their game anyway.

• Like 2

Not a real swing, but an interesting developement nontheless: The Bundesliga once saw a battle between Borussia Moenchengladbach and FC Koeln (Cologne) on the final day. Both were tied on points, but Cologne was leading by 10 goals on goal differential. Cologne was playing at the already relegated FC St. Pauli while Gladbach played against Borussia Dortmund. Gladbach trashed their opposition 12 - 0, while Cologne luckily won their match solidly by five goals to nil to secure the title, but it was a huge scandal with people claiming a work and the like, especially since the betting scandal which shocked the Bundesliga in the early seventies wasn´t too long ago.

As for the most dramatic finals to a league championship, the Bundesliga final 2001 should be a very good contender. Anyone who would want to see Liverpool fans heartbroken will wish for a final like Schalke and Bayern had battling on different pitches for the last two matchdays back then. Matchday 33 of 34 sees both teams head to head, with Schalke leading on goal differential. Schalke play an away game at Stuttgart, Bayern play at home against Kaiserslautern.

There are two goals in the 90th minute: Schalke conceeds, and within seven seconds, Bayern scores. Both games were tied, but just in that moment first Schalke loose the game and in quick succession Bayern win theirs.

On the final matchday, Schalke play at home against the already relegated Unterhaching, Bayern play in Hamburg against HSV. While Schalke overcomes a 0-2 deficit to win 5-3, Bayern is closing out the game pretty well. Up until the 90th minute, where Sergej Barbarez scores a very late 1-0 winner for Hamburg and ultimately for Schalke, who are now the champions for the first time since 1958, a year in which there wasn´t even a Bundesliga yet.

Well, only that´s not how it turned out. While Schalke fans storm the pitch and celebrate their title, the big tv screen in the stadium reveals that Hamburg and Bayern are still in injury time. Bayern pushes up for one final attack after 94 minutes, when a Hamburg defender slides into a pass, playing it back to HSVs goalkeeper Schober. The guy, who is on loan from Schalke 04, picks up the pass and the referee decides it is an intentional backpass, awarding Bayern an indirect freekick within the box. The Swede Patrick Andersson steps up and smashes the ball in the bottom left corner with everybody in Schalke´s stadium looking on helplessly and in disbelief.

I will post a video, albeit it is in German, which deals with the final minute on matchday 33. You can hear the commentary from the Stuttgart vs Schalke game shouting. The video follows up with the final matchday and we see at first Schalkes 5-3 goal by Ebbe Sand, then Barbarez taking the lead for Hamburg with a great header, followed by the final minutes uncut if I saw it correctly, the Bayern equalizer.

The second video is shorter, but shows how Schalke fans storm the pitch in Gelsenkirchen.

• Like 1

Interview with FIFA presidential candidate Jerome Champagne

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/05/08/4797359/champagne-champions-league-elites-looting-must-stop

Some of this is more FIFA crazy talk, but I do like some of what he's saying about bringing back financial equality, but can he actually get any of it done?  Or will Sepp Blatter run again and keep things, business as usual...

• Like 1

I saw that this morning. So is there a song by a Manchester band to describe Van Gaal? I'm thinking "Made of Stone".

I just wish I had a photo of one of the banners from the first Burnley/Bolton match after Owen Coyle left the former for the latter.

HE'S NOT THE MESSIAH

HE'S A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

• Like 1

Interview with FIFA presidential candidate Jerome Champagne

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/05/08/4797359/champagne-champions-league-elites-looting-must-stop

Some of this is more FIFA crazy talk, but I do like some of what he's saying about bringing back financial equality, but can he actually get any of it done?  Or will Sepp Blatter run again and keep things, business as usual...

All I know about Jerome Champagne is that Andrew Jennings said he was clean, which, for someone involved with FIFA, is really something.