DVDVR Message Board

Ultimate Warrior 1959-2014

Horrendous news.

I loved the Warrior as a kid. He was one of my favorites, right there with Hogan and Savage. When I was 5, my dad dressed me up as the Warrior for Halloween (1992). When we went trick or treating, and the people would ask who I was, I'd say "THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR" in full Warrior voice and everything. Well, full Warrior voice as much as possible for a five year old. I loved Hogan/Warrior, Savage/Warrior is one of my favorite matches of all time, always entertained by Rude/Warrior (WrestleMania 5 and SummerSlam 89). Just rough news to wake up to this morning. Legit shook up. Feel terrible for his family. His daughters are so young to have to experience something like this. Just awful.

No one is really doing it here but please stay away from "OMG! I AM SAW HIM SWEATING! CLEARLY HE WAS HAVING KIDNEY FAILURE!!!!" stuff that I am seeing way too much of on the internet

You are not a doctor. You did not stay at a Holiday Inn

I have read an assload of these as well. Dumbasses; suits are fucking hot. Of course dude's gonna sweat.

I was on youtube looking at Warrior promos and there's already a video with a graphic of him that says "SUICIDE?" in big yellow letters. The internet never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 1

I was sitting on the pot this morning checking for my new podcast downloads when I opened up the Observers to finish listening to the podcast I had downloaded yesterday.  I accidentally pressed play on the new one, and was greeted by Meltzer and Sempervieve giving breaking news about Warrior's passing.  I turned it off and just sat there for a couple minutes trying to wrap my head around what I had just heard.  I feel so sorry for his family.  They all looked so truly happy at the HOF show and that's just gotta suck for them.  I'm glad he got a chance to mend fences with WWE and a couple of the wrestlers.

You know, I'd absolutely enjoy a thread of transcribed Warrior promos. Fuck that; an e-book. That's why this era of information tech was invented. Someone should work on that.

And didn't Warrior make mention during his HoF speech that he has a tendency to be a big sweater anyway? Some dudes just perspire more than others. Look at the John Thompson boys at Georgetown. I seriously doubt either of them did anything to "destroy their bodies" and they've always been notorious sweaters. Hell, I sweat more than just about anyone I know (and I'm not a big guy by any means). Some people are just more prone to it than others. Plus, I'm sure both the HoF stage and the middle of the ring are probably above average temperatures. I don't think that just because he was sweating means that it served as a precursor to what happened.

Yeah we definitely need to wait for the autopsy, but I think most people would be surprised if it's not something heart related.

His unbelievable physique, crazy workout routine, suddenly collapsing...

But God bless the way he went out. A wrestler's dream ending. That's what I will remember from this.

I can't remember it but my mother said I was a Warrior fan when I was really young (first wrestler memory is Flair) I had a jumper and a Warrior toy so I must have been. Anyway,my heart really sank this morning when I was flicking through the sites and saw the news. I feel sad about it but it seems he had a blast at the HOF and even though it obviously wasnt a planned send off, it was a great one.

RIP

My mum reminded me that she made me a birthday cake with Warrior's facepaint painted on the icing. That was pretty cool to get as a kid.

• Like 2

Talking to a friend of mine, and I think I'm getting a more positive vibe from this. I mean, what a great last couple of days this dude had, y'know? Sets the record straight on his professional legacy, is recognized by his peers as one of the greats, surrounded by friends and family, gives his own eulogy in a sense to his fans, then passes the veil to Destrucity, going quick without the debilitating, lingering wasting away misery that death can sometimes be.

It's almost enough to make a person envious.

• Like 2

Glad to say I got to see him wrestle Savage in the career match at Mania 7 live from the nosebleeds.

I was like nine or ten for Wrestlemania 6. I can't put into words how much playground buzz there was going into that shit, and after it.

• Like 3

Glad to say I got to see him wrestle Savage in the career match at Mania 7 live from the nosebleeds.

Me too.

I also got to see them wrestle at Summerslam '92, which wasn't as great but was still pretty damn good.

Talking to a friend of mine, and I think I'm getting a more positive vibe from this. I mean, what a great last couple of days this dude had, y'know? Sets the record straight on his professional legacy, is recognized by his peers as one of the greats, surrounded by friends and family, gives his own eulogy in a sense to his fans, then passes the veil to Destrucity, going quick without the debilitating, lingering wasting away misery that death can sometimes be.

Nate, you read my mind. I was going to post almost this exact thing before I got to your post.

It seems like people have mostly focused on what a tragic coincidence it was, but I can't help but feel that it was kind of a beautiful, almost romantic way to go out. We should all be so lucky to get to stand before the world and put our life's work into context and show gratitude to the people who helped make it possible before we die.

It's always sad to see someone gone, especially when it's much too soon. But at least he got to go quickly, and with a satisfied mind.

Nate, you read my mind. I was going to post almost this exact thing before I got to your post.

It seems like people have mostly focused on what a tragic coincidence it was, but I can't help but feel that it was kind of a beautiful, almost romantic way to go out. We should all be so lucky to get to stand before the world and put our life's work into context and show gratitude to the people who helped make it possible before we die.

It's always sad to see someone gone, especially when it's much too soon. But at least he got to go quickly, and with a satisfied mind.

It's always good to look at the positives, but at the end of the day there are still two girls, who have to grow up without their father. I don't know.

• Like 2

So I was talking to a co-worker about the Warrior's death at work and another guy a few seats over swings around and says "You know the original Ultimate Warrior died in the 80s.  This guys was the second one".  That is a paraphrase, not a direct quote.  I swear, this rumor has lived for 25+ years.  I didn't even think about it until the words left this moron's mouth.  

• Like 1

Something i always found kind of funny, I live in Venezuela and wrestling hasn't been relevant in years here. Whenever wrestling comes up in a conversation people always talk about these guys almost exclusively:

- The Rock

- Hogan

- The Undertaker

- That "Hawk-like" guy that fought Hogan

It always makes me laugh, but almost everyone here remembers the Warrior because WM 6 was shown for free on TV back in 1990 and repeated quite a bit, and that match seems to be completely stuck in people's heads for life.

I hope this question offends no one, it isn't meant to, just curious, not well-versed on his career at all:

Did he ever have what the "smark crowd" considers to be a "good match"? Maybe with Jake the Snake? Savage? Kinda like how Hogan had a few "good matches" in Japan? Or were they all more spectacles than matches? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just curious.