DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Scott Steiner as BPP was fun and unpredictable, but comparing Steiner Brothers Scott Steiner and injury prone, immobile, prone to gassing Scott Steiner is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Suburban. Steiner in his prime was comparable with Steve Austin and Bret Hart. When he became Big Poppa Pump he became just another Billy Graham wannabe.

• Like 1

Mongo's best contribution to the wrestling business was Debra. And even that was a bit overrated (although, I would absolutely beat. Multiple times. Beat in the sexual manner, not the Austin manner)...

Speaking of the Austin manner...

• Like 1

Watching pudgy, immobile Rey Mysterio these days has made me wonder... What is the saddest regression of a great wrestler you can think of due to age/injury/etc?

Scott Steiner comes to mind, after becoming BPP he just started going downhill

I;m sorry WHAT? 

After WCW folded he was never the same in the ring.

Yeah, I know latter day Scott Steiner has been hailed as amazing around these parts, but I'm in the minority that feels otherwise.  I'll fully admit that some of his insane promos can be entertaining (as far as content anyway), but overall, as the years went by he was pretty awful.  At times he was barely mobile, and absolutely lazy in the ring.  I mean honestly, when he was using the Steiner Recliner as a finish in WCW it was downright embarrassing.  It was about as far from a camel clutch as you could get.  Positioning guys on their hands and knees, half the time barely securing their arms, then applying the gentlest of rear chinlocks and guys tapping as if anyone in the world thought it might hurt. 

Not to mention he usually sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles. 

• Like 1

Watching pudgy, immobile Rey Mysterio these days has made me wonder... What is the saddest regression of a great wrestler you can think of due to age/injury/etc?

Flair, Hogan, Foley, and Andre are probably cheating so I'll say end of the road Kobashi was really sad to me. Yokozuna too once he really ballooned up in weight.

I thought Hennig really phoned it in when he was in WCW. Aside from the Rap is Crap stuff and Perfect-Plexing The Giant, he didn't do much of anything in-ring. He had a brief resurgence in WWE but that was about it.

Scott Steiner comes to mind, after becoming BPP he just started going downhill

I;m sorry WHAT? 

After WCW folded he was never the same in the ring.

Yeah, I know latter day Scott Steiner has been hailed as amazing around these parts, but I'm in the minority that feels otherwise.  I'll fully admit that some of his insane promos can be entertaining (as far as content anyway), but overall, as the years went by he was pretty awful.  At times he was barely mobile, and absolutely lazy in the ring.  I mean honestly, when he was using the Steiner Recliner as a finish in WCW it was downright embarrassing.  It was about as far from a camel clutch as you could get.  Positioning guys on their hands and knees, half the time barely securing their arms, then applying the gentlest of rear chinlocks and guys tapping as if anyone in the world thought it might hurt. 

Not to mention he usually sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles. 

When I've talked about latter day Scott Steiner being great, it's purely for the off the wall insanity of his promos. In the ring, yeah, no arguments. Big Poppa Pump is a long way from what he used to be.

I think Big Poppa Pump is a better wrestler than Steiner Brother Scott. Scotty for sure had some awesome and explosive spots, and was very athletic, but a lot of the time his matches felt very unsatisfying, often because the brothers would take too much of the match and delight in bullying their opponents. Everything clicked for Scott when he turned heel, he was still more athletic than I think he's generally given credit for in the period up until WCW's death, and his character work was off-the-charts good. I was surprised when rewatching a bunch of WCW just how enjoyable Big Poppa Pump was, and how annoying the Steiner Brothers tags often were.

• Like 1

Sorry but one can never get bored of the Steiner Brothers clubbering fools, spiking them into the mat repeatedly and taking their heads off with clotheslines. It was my bread and butter

As for BPP era Steiner, yes he wasn't amazing in ring but who gives a shit, go watch Davey Richards or something if that's what floats your boat because nothing substitutes for personality (read: lunacy)

All the Mongo talk had be go down the rabbit hole and watch some old Mongo. The way the guy was written off a WCW television is beyond halirious. On Nitro, during a tag team match featuring Flair/Mongo vs. The Outsider, Hogan comes down to the ring holding a cleaning bucket. Shenanigans occur and Hogan goes to toss the content of the bucket into the face of Flair. Flair moves out of the way and the contents hit Mongo's face.Mongo is on his knees shielding his eyes for the remainder of the encounter and the show (which ended about 1-2 minutes after that). Mongo is never seen in WCW again.

I've only been posting for about a year and I feel like I've built up a lot of goodwill but...will I lose it all if I say I'm a Mongo fan and thought he was a great Horseman? And I say that as a guy who grew up watching JCP and rooting for the Horsemen to break Dusty's arm. I thought Mongo fit in pretty well b/c he was a dude who liked to party, was clearly motivated by money and that Flair and Arn thought that they could mold into a Horseman b/c of his athletic skills. Plus he hates it when someone just stands there drinkin coffee when a man's talkin to em.

• Like 3

Sorry but one can never get bored of the Steiner Brothers clubbering fools, spiking them into the mat repeatedly and taking their heads off with clotheslines. It was my bread and butter

As for BPP era Steiner, yes he wasn't amazing in ring but who gives a shit, go watch Davey Richards or something if that's what floats your boat because nothing substitutes for personality (read: lunacy)

Steiner had his moments as BPP; the Goldberg match at Fall Brawl 2000 was shockingly good.

Steiner had his moments as BPP; the Goldberg match at Fall Brawl 2000 was shockingly good.

He had great chemistry with Goldberg. I remember a match they had on Nitro that was pretty awesome. It ended with a Nash run-in but it was a fantastic power match before the run-in.

He had great chemistry with Goldberg. I remember a match they had on Nitro that was pretty awesome. It ended with a Nash run-in but it was a fantastic power match before the run-in.

Those matches with Goldberg were the kind of shockingly great that I would liken to when Kevin Smith talk about Jason Mewes in Dogma. All these great, a-list actors and comedians on payroll and Mewes turns in such an unbelievably fantastic performance that one day Matt Damon looks over at Smith and says "who'd have ever thought THAT motherfucker would walk away with this picture." Same general idea. Who'd have ever thought those two motherfuckers would have the chemistry they had...

Those matches with Goldberg were the kind of shockingly great that I would liken to when Kevin Smith talk about Jason Mewes in Dogma. All these great, a-list actors and comedians on payroll and Mewes turns in such an unbelievably fantastic performance that one day Matt Damon looks over at Smith and says "who'd have ever thought THAT motherfucker would walk away with this picture." Same general idea. Who'd have ever thought those two motherfuckers would have the chemistry they had...

But ... well, that's a very telling analogy.

• Like 1

That brawl in TNA with Lashley would go on the 1 CD compilation of TNA's best matches.

It's just a CD-R with a bunch of .rm files copied onto it I hear.

• Like 7