DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

OPENING DAY~!  It's this weekend. 

Welcome back to the Guardians, welcome back to the Sawks on Fawks,  welcome back to that hideous sculpture in left center....

BASEBALL'S BACK!

*The Miami Marlins have been eliminated from playoff contention. 

• Like 1

OPENING DAY~!  It's this weekend. 

Welcome back to the Guardians, welcome back to the Sawks on Fawks,  welcome back to that hideous sculpture in left center....

BASEBALL'S BACK!

*The Miami Marlins have been eliminated from playoff contention. 

So have the Houston Astros.

Trout's deal is 6/144.5

I didn't know a guy could get underpaid at about 24m per... but, here we are.

Sounds like it's about right, for skills at least, does he move alot of merch?

They could have given him 40m per and he still would have been underpaid for his skill set.

I have watched about 4 Pirates spring training games and almost everyone has involved them hitting batters.   So at least that seems to be consistent with last year's team. Got to get ready for those Reds games I guess :D    Although worried about Loriano because it sounds like he might be an opening day injury issue. 

Trout's deal is 6/144.5

I didn't know a guy could get underpaid at about 24m per... but, here we are.

Remember that 3 of those 6 years were his arb years. When you figure he'd probably get in the realm of $40-50M total for those three seasons, the deal makes a lot of sense both for Trout and the Angels.

Based on some quick google-fu, this off-season a WAR for true free agents was valued at about 5.45 million.  Meaning that Trout should have been paid around 54 million each of the past two seasons based on his on-field value.

(Insert caveats here about WAR still being debatable, not measuring defense well, and about baseball's system preventing young guys from getting what they are worth.)

If he produces at the same basic rate he has so far (never mind him somehow getting even better), and we ignore inflation, he's being underpaid by around 30 million per year.  While making 24 million dollars per year.  I don't exactly feel bad for him, but...  damn.

Based on some quick google-fu, this off-season a WAR for true free agents was valued at about 5.45 million.  Meaning that Trout should have been paid around 54 million each of the past two seasons based on his on-field value.

(Insert caveats here about WAR still being debatable, not measuring defense well, and about baseball's system preventing young guys from getting what they are worth.)

If he produces at the same basic rate he has so far (never mind him somehow getting even better), and we ignore inflation, he's being underpaid by around 30 million per year.  While making 24 million dollars per year.  I don't exactly feel bad for him, but...  damn.

He'll still be in his prime when the extension runs out and can cash in big then.

Barry Bonds gets the John Cena reaction while presenting Cutch with his MVP Award at PNC Park.

Of course, he nails Bream at the plate and I'm sure it'd be "Steroids schmearoids, best player in Pirates history baby!"

Barry Bonds gets the John Cena reaction while presenting Cutch with his MVP Award at PNC Park.

Of course, he nails Bream at the plate and I'm sure it'd be "Steroids schmearoids, best player in Pirates history baby!"

Given the body type, he wasn't on the gas nearly as much, if at all then.

And Bryce Harper is taken out after basically taking a shining wizard trying to break up a double play

http://imgur.com/z1X6aeV

I guess that's why one should go in spikes up? Ouch, hope he doesn't miss much time. . .

Harper ended up staying in the game - which was amusing since it was the Nats own Twitter feed who said he was coming out.

This Cubs game is going to be like every Cubs game this season. Can't hit for fucking shit with RISP. Poor Emilio Bonifacio, he went 4 for 5 and no one else on the team could hit.