DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Ha and SNL is always unfunny so maybe he should stop

There is a nice parallel in that both rosters are full of people who are great at improv (of different types) and often super funny when they are doing their own thing.  But the producer of their show forces them into a kind of frame that makes them seem dull and formulaic and erases all their charisma and cleverness.

Like, Damien Sandow = Bobby Moynihan exactly this way.

For everyone who is all "I hate people who watch for the crowd!" or whatever over in the pre-Raw note, this is kind of the point. Every week it's more or less the same thing and so rarely does it feel spontaneous or exciting. Tonight, because the crowd is going to be so insane, it almost has to feel that way by default. Then, next week, we get back to whatever logical, drawn out, relatively boring but at least somewhat fundamentally sound build for Mania they are going to do. Tonight is bizarro land though and once in a while it's great.

• Like 1

the podcast or the TV show? Maybe it's because whenever I look at him, I see Horatio Sanz.

HE WAS ALSO FUNNY ON COMEDY BANG! BANG!!!!!!!!!

So what you're saying is that Comedy Bang Bang is filmed in Bizarro Land.

Kevin Nealon still sucked.

Ha and SNL is always unfunny so maybe he should stop

There is a nice parallel in that both rosters are full of people who are great at improv (of different types) and often super funny when they are doing their own thing.  But the producer of their show forces them into a kind of frame that makes them seem dull and formulaic and erases all their charisma and cleverness.

Like, Damien Sandow = Bobby Moynihan exactly this way.

For everyone who is all "I hate people who watch for the crowd!" or whatever over in the pre-Raw note, this is kind of the point. Every week it's more or less the same thing and so rarely does it feel spontaneous or exciting. Tonight, because the crowd is going to be so insane, it almost has to feel that way by default. Then, next week, we get back to whatever logical, drawn out, relatively boring but at least somewhat fundamentally sound build for Mania they are going to do. Tonight is bizarro land though and once in a while it's great.

Problem is: it isn't spontaneous. It's mutant idiots trying to get themselves over because their hero threw a hissy fit about jobbing to another internet darling and is probably going to come back and steal a different internet darling's spot. When everyone lost their shit over Bryan losing to Sheamus it was neat. When they took Bryan out of the title picture and the crowd refused to let it happen, it was neat. When Bryan wasn't in the Rumble and everyone shat on the Rumble it was neat.

This is entitled brats whining.

• Like 4

It's still way more fucking interesting than most of the stuff we get on these three hour raws that involve people actually talking instead of wrestling in six man tags. That's the point. Who cares if they're right or wrong. At least it's something different and that isn't the same pre-processed bunk.

It's pro wrestling, not something where "right or wrong" matters at all. Then it becomes how Vince and co react to something that for once, every few years, is out of their control.

Saturday Night Live is rarely as interesting as when Elvis Costello plays something Lorne doesn't want him to, if we're carrying that through.

There's been a lot of talk lately about how late night talk shows are all worthless now because the host has every interview basically scripted. It's live tv but it only ever feels live if Aksana breaks someone's face. That's ridiculous.

FWIW I didn't like them shitting on the rest of the Rumble card. Don't think it's right to shit on Orton and Cena, or really any other singles match.

Orton vs Cena was boring and deserved to be shat on. Rey did not deserve the reaction he got coming out.

FWIW I didn't like them shitting on the rest of the Rumble card. Don't think it's right to shit on Orton and Cena, or really any other singles match.

Orton vs Cena was boring and deserved to be shat on. Rey did not deserve the reaction he got coming out.

Rey being 30 was boring and deserved to be shat on.

• Like 1

Rey being 30 was boring and deserved to be shat on.

I never understood the booing for Rey at 30. He was advertised as being in the match, there was one person left to come out and he hadn't shown up yet. And then those idiots were shocked that it was him.

It's just the talking that's stale. The wrestling's gr... wait, I basically said that. 

I'm mainly annoyed by people's sanctimonious inability to understand where others are coming from, whether it be because they want to liken Punk to Michaels losing his smile or are annoyed at fans on other boards or what.

I'm mainly annoyed by people's sanctimonious inability to understand where others are coming from, 

This has been the crusade we've been waging war on for a while. It will never end. 

Though it has been helpful in getting me to succinctly explain how I feel about something in a way that people understand why my opinion is my opinion. I would say that writing about wrestling in general made writing about film much easier, too.

It's just the talking that's stale. The wrestling's gr... wait, I basically said that. 

I'm mainly annoyed by people's sanctimonious inability to understand where others are coming from, whether it be because they want to liken Punk to Michaels losing his smile or are annoyed at fans on other boards or what.

At the risk of live-posting, you think that crowd was right to shit all over Christian and Sheamus like that?

At the risk of live-posting, you think that crowd was right to shit all over Christian and Sheamus like that?

Do I need to flash my badge?

Do I need to flash my badge?

Wait as an admin can you...

...make me an admin?