DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Punk has played the whole thing like a dream, completely stepping on Bryan's heat in the process. Make no mistake, the guy's a political player on the level of all the internet baddies. I wouldn't care but for the fact that so many of his fans seem to feel he's been hard done by. If it just leads to the uninterested CM Punk of the last 8 months then what's the point? Really, without getting too into armchair booking mode, the best way to salvage this would be to have Punk win the title, go corporate and then have Bryan chase, but as someone already said, I get the impression Punk cares too much about his "voice of the voiceless" persona to go suit and tie. I'm still just equally impressed and pissed off that he managed to somehow take a good chunk of Bryan's post-Rumble heat and put it on himself. What a hero.

I don't think corporate Punk works. I think he is better off as a narcissistic heel who is insanely jealous of Daniel Bryan and worried that Bryan is taking over his spot as the "voice of the voiceless". If he can't get his dream of main-eventing Wrestlemania, then he is going to make sure that Daniel Bryan isn't going to get his dream of a fair match for the title. Punk should belittle fans for being a "bunch of spastic sheep" moving their arms while chanting "yes" when they should have been clamoring for CM Punk to have another year-long title reign.

I get what you're going towards, but it just feels like I've seen Punk whine for respect while holding the WWE title before.  Evolve or die.

Yeah, in his prime, the man himself Austin did a 180 to form the Two-Man Power Trip. Heh, Austin and Punk are pretty chummy. I wonder if in hindsight Austin didn't think that radical shift in his character ended up being the best route for him. It certainly averted and squashed any potential Austin/Triple H feud that could've been renewed not that long after the vehicular manslaughter plot bullshit; especially the way they milk marquee matchups nowadays until the cow's teet falls off. And over a lot less than vehicular manslaughter conspiracies.

And the DX revival?

No... I can't say I enjoyed that run though HBK superkicking random people was cool.

I wanted to point out that this issue is becoming to you what OTE '99 was to Antacular.  We get it.  And yes, while you are replying to others and vice versa, it's not a mutual dialogue where there's any chance of actual discussion, just a constant reiteration and defense of your previously-stated strongly-held feelings on the matter, with nothing new added to allow for extrapolation on the initial talking point.  I have no problems with you either ignoring or replying to my comment, because the conversation for me isn't about getting the last word (which may be in contrast to the vast majority of Internet discussions, especially wrestling).  I'm just not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

Fair enough.

I'm surprised that chanting for Punk has ruined the show for anyone. Outside of a few chants here and there its been pretty quiet.

True.  But if you're in the right mood.  The other night one guy chanting Goldberg on a new midsouth-y t.v. show made me go blind with rage.

• Like 1

Punk has played the whole thing like a dream, completely stepping on Bryan's heat in the process. Make no mistake, the guy's a political player on the level of all the internet baddies. I wouldn't care but for the fact that so many of his fans seem to feel he's been hard done by. If it just leads to the uninterested CM Punk of the last 8 months then what's the point? Really, without getting too into armchair booking mode, the best way to salvage this would be to have Punk win the title, go corporate and then have Bryan chase, but as someone already said, I get the impression Punk cares too much about his "voice of the voiceless" persona to go suit and tie. I'm still just equally impressed and pissed off that he managed to somehow take a good chunk of Bryan's post-Rumble heat and put it on himself. What a hero.

I don't think corporate Punk works. I think he is better off as a narcissistic heel who is insanely jealous of Daniel Bryan and worried that Bryan is taking over his spot as the "voice of the voiceless". If he can't get his dream of main-eventing Wrestlemania, then he is going to make sure that Daniel Bryan isn't going to get his dream of a fair match for the title. Punk should belittle fans for being a "bunch of spastic sheep" moving their arms while chanting "yes" when they should have been clamoring for CM Punk to have another year-long title reign.

I get what you're going towards, but it just feels like I've seen Punk whine for respect while holding the WWE title before.  Evolve or die.

I wouldn't put the title back on Punk. I thought it was a mistake back then to leave the belt with him for so long because that is a spot that should be reserved for guys who they hope are going to be WWE loyalists for life and I don't think Punk is ever going to be that guy.

I would evolve Punk from a guy who really wants the title to a guy who just wants to ruin everything for everyone else because he can't get what he wants. I'd have him run in on "wet dream" matches because if he can't be happy, then the fans aren't allowed to be happy either.

He really has trolled us all.  I was initially in agreement with those who would have enjoyed a Bad News Barrett send up of him with his podium rising after Living Colour's  "Cult of Personality" hit, but now I'm thinking they should be a team.

I wouldn't put the title back on Punk. I thought it was a mistake back then to leave the belt with him for so long because that is a spot that should be reserved for guys who they hope are going to be WWE loyalists for life and I don't think Punk is ever going to be that guy.

I would evolve Punk from a guy who really wants the title to a guy who just wants to ruin everything for everyone else because he can't get what he wants. I'd have him run in on "wet dream" matches because if he can't be happy, then the fans aren't allowed to be happy either.

Just so long as Roman Reigns gets tired of his shit disturbing and murders the little prick. Or Cesaro. And I agree even half a year of sanctimonious cunty heel champ Punk was too much.

He really has trolled us all.  I was initially in agreement with those who would have enjoyed a Bad News Barrett send up of him with his podium rising after Living Colour's  "Cult of Personality" hit, but now I'm thinking they should be a team.

Punk puts together Nexus 3.0 with Barrett, Dean Ambrose, and Titus O'Neal? Who wants to see that group in an eight-man tag against John Cena, Darren Young, Roman Reigns, and Daniel Bryan?

Just so long as Roman Reigns gets tired of his shit disturbing and murders the little prick. Or Cesaro. And I agree even half a year of sanctimonious cunty heel champ Punk was too much.

Well, yeah. I'd assume Punk is leaving in July and have him put over Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, and Heath Slater on his way out.

They shit on Reigns/Wyatt last week on RAW... 

Edit: Beat me to it.

Let's hate all WWE live audiences and lump them together as a pretentious, self-serving bunch of smarKs and refer to them as "they" because one crowd in one city dared to chant random shit during a really boring Roman Reigns/Bray Wyatt match.

• Like 2

so anyways.. Daniel Bryan and Mystery Partner v. NAO, then Punk comes out to be the Mystery Partner. Then Punk just turns heel on Bryan. So we later find out that Punk spent his February at a Corporate retreat. So Corporate Punk would do stuff like wrestle in an outfit that covers up most of his tattoos (or all of them if possible) and he'd come out to This Fire Burns instead of Cult of Personality.

Speaking of people "getting one over" on Vince, has anyone done so better than Brock Lesnar?

The guy probably gets paid as much as anyone in the company, and only has to wrestle twice a year. Doesn't have to do any media, any live fan appearances, etc. Of course, the performance the guy puts forth is well worth it, but still.

• Like 1

It'd be better if he came out to some public domain-sounding (but original) music like WCW wrestlers used to back in the day.

no no wait..

just use an instrumental version of "Cult of Personality"... that'd be what Jimmy Hart and WCW would do for a knockoff theme. Or have Punk come out to Hardcore Holly's public domain theme

- CM Punk is reportedly "expected" to return this Monday on Raw in his hometown of Chicago. A source who is said to be "top WWE star" claims that Punk's return is "100% certain."

The report notes that if he does return, Punk will likely slot back into his match with Triple H at WrestleMania XXX, or possibly being added to WWE World Title Match. That match was reportedly changed recently in creative plans to a triple threat, with the third opponent not yet named internally.

Credit: Wrestling Observer Radio
  • Like 1

hmm

Dolph Ziggler @HEELZiggler

kudos to @WWE for editing out the WE WANT ZIGGLER chants face to face w/dave I will never forget that thank u milwaukee #SmackDown

1:39 AM - 1 Mar 2014

Dolph Ziggler @HEELZiggler

...it only wouldve helped the show and made the match that much better @wwe #SmackDown keep doing your thing @WWEUniverse

The report notes that if he does return, Punk will likely slot back into his match with Triple H at WrestleMania XXX, or possibly being added to WWE World Title Match. That match was reportedly changed recently in creative plans to a triple threat, with the third opponent not yet named internally.

The wording, which seems to scream "THEY WERE JUST ABOUT TO ADD BRYAN TO THE MAIN UNTIL PUNK GOT INVOLVED!!!!" screams that someone is trolling someone.  Either WWE is messing with Bryan's fans...or Punk's with a rumor.  Or with Meltzer.

Because if that's the "story" that everyone accepts...then the RAW thread will be way more of a trainwreck than anything a bunch of Bryan of Punk fans could chant on t.v.

It's almost like they're feeding Meltzer info designed to split the fanbase that likes the two guys that are annoying them so that both guys end up weaker.  Which would be fucking brilliant..and a reminder of why Vince always wins.

Here's their chance to put Bryan in the WWE Championship match! I can live with Punk being back if Bryan gets the hell away from HHH and into the match he should have been put in after winning the Rumble in the first place. 

If this is true, of course.