DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Nattie kinda reminds me of Jack Swagger in that she has all the physical attributes and athleticism to be a big star, but even in an industry made up of hammy cheesy actors, she has a certain inability to look like she's not playing a wrestler.  I don't think I've ever heard Swagger do a line of dialogue (Except the brief period where he was a goofball with the mascot etc.) where he's said a line of dialogue in any convincing way, including "WE THE PEOPLE".  Everything he does/says looks like a guy playing a wrestler.  Nattie is kinda in the same boat.

• Like 1

He's not on TV because he chose to leave. Do these Punk fans realize that he was not forced out? What is the logic behind all of this?

I don't see what is so hard to understand about this.

The WWE has a lot of good talent right now, but the live TV and PPV crowds are pretty strongly rejecting the "same old shit" booking with Cena, Orton, Batista, etc. Wrestling fans haven't pushed back like this since "We want Flair!"

Punk is a guy these fans booing the Orton's and Batista's want to see. So it doesn't really matter why he left. What matters to these people is that he's gone, and they don't like the show they're getting, and so they're going to chant about it.

• Like 1

Punk is in really awful shape, physically. Like, way too broken down. That's probably why he looks as skinny as he has the last year or so - he's too physically fucked up to hit it hard in the gym. 

He straight up said in the Arwani or whatever the fuck his name is interview that he wasn't fighting anything anymore. He was showing up and doing what he was told. 

He mailed in that Rumble really goddamn hard. 

He also said that it's Daniel Bryan's year. That said, he could've been politicking for the WM main event at the same time. 

He's burnt out and broken down. And he's not going to change a fucking thing regarding how the WWE works. 

He's got fuck you money. There really isn't much left for him to do. 

He'll be back at some point. If Vince wants to expedite the process, drive a dump truck full of money up to Austin's front door for Mania 31. Punk vs. Austin, at or very, very near the top of the card. 

Punk'll shut the fuck up, retire, and spend the rest of his days getting face tattoos with Lars Frederiksen 

Punk is in really awful shape, physically. Like, way too broken down. That's probably why he looks as skinny as he has the last year or so - he's too physically fucked up to hit it hard in the gym. 

He straight up said in the Arwani or whatever the fuck his name is interview that he wasn't fighting anything anymore. He was showing up and doing what he was told. 

He also said that it's Daniel Bryan's year. That said, he could've been politicking for the WM main event at the same time. 

He's burnt out and broken down. And he's not going to change a fucking thing regarding how the WWE works. 

He'll be back at some point. If Vince wants to expedite the process, drive a dump truck full of money up to Austin's front door for Mania 31. Punk vs. Austin, at or very, very near the top of the card. 

Punk'll shut the fuck up, retire, and spend the rest of his days getting face tattoos with Lars Frederiksen 

Even if Punk is broken down, Punk leaving (especially since his contract expired in July anyway) is expectable. 

Having said that though- the better option instead (in order to stop it) would be WWE choosing to go to Punk, say "You're done? You had your last match. However- we still have a contract for you for seven months. You want to retire, we'll follow your contract until then, or give you a release. In exchange though, you have to show up onscreen and make a retirement announcement and speech on Raw. Say what you want, when you want, we won't stop you- but you have to show up and make your onscreen retirement so that we can stop the 'CM Punk!' chants and everyone can move on."

• Like 1

When Batista went tweener last Monday, my first thought was that they were going to insert Punk into the match if he came back

We'll, what do you know.

According to Saturdays Observer Radio, Dave was told by a top star that Punk is back Monday. "100%". He will either go into the 3way or switch with Bryan. My guess he gets pacified by going into the Title match (in the main event slot) and Bryan stays with Hunter.

...or he can do a shooty angle with HHH and they give Bryan the title to close out the show.

Punk the character and real guy is almost where mid-nineties Bret Hart was at this point. Hart took an eight month sabbatical after having three very solid and lengthy reigns with the belt. Except you have to admit Hart did have at least one legit beef with HBK ducking out of WM XIII because the prick didn't want to return the favor. (Who's ever pulled anything like that on Punk? I mean he's been booked very even with the top dog Cena.)

Not that it didn't all work out for the best as we got that awesome Austin/Hart match and one of the great WM visuals and moments at the end of the "I QUIT" match.

Then there are the similarities to how they were booked against monsters. Hart had those various non-finishes against Diesel and Undertaker where he was basically bailed out after they hit their finishes.... back when smaller guys weren't booked as superheroes and the Jackknife was death. That's very similar to all the shenanigans Punk needed to retain his title against Ryback.

And of course "The Petulance of Persecution" was one of the first guys to air shoot grievances live except his stuff actually came off as somewhat edgy as opposed to Punk's too inside snide dorky shoot bullshit.

As far as whiners go, HBK still has to be the worst. Except he never comes up in these discussions because Vince never rebuffed his little power trips.

Maaaaan, I really hope Punk comes in to support DBry, and Bryan gets put in the main. You can add anyone you want to Batista/Orton but if it ain't Daniel Bryan, I don't care. Otherwise I want Bryan whipping Triple H's ass on last.

Kinda sounds like Punk "lost his smile" though I be the finds it real quick if they offer him a spot in the main event.

Seriously I think the whole thing is a work and Punk is not leaving the company but taking a leave of absence.

• Like 1

Even if Punk is broken down, Punk leaving (especially since his contract expired in July anyway) is expectable. 

Having said that though- the better option instead (in order to stop it) would be WWE choosing to go to Punk, say "You're done? You had your last match. However- we still have a contract for you for seven months. You want to retire, we'll follow your contract until then, or give you a release. In exchange though, you have to show up onscreen and make a retirement announcement and speech on Raw. Say what you want, when you want, we won't stop you- but you have to show up and make your onscreen retirement so that we can stop the 'CM Punk!' chants and everyone can move on."

They can't do that b/c as I understand, he's already gone through the number of appearances he has to make. Similar situation to Luger when he left WCW in the early 90's.

Does anyone think the "Brood" gimmick could get over today?

I think they need to give Curt Hawkins or like JTG the Brood's theme music and cool red lighting...that would shoot them to Smackdown midcard status at least.

But the whole wannabe vampire gimmick wouldn't go over too well, I don't think. Vampires are so 2010.

Does anyone think the "Brood" gimmick could get over today?

I think they need to give Curt Hawkins or like JTG the Brood's theme music and cool red lighting...that would shoot them to Smackdown midcard status at least.

But the whole wannabe vampire gimmick wouldn't go over too well, I don't think. Vampires are so 2010.

Did they ever actually use the word "vampire" to describe the Brood?  IIRC Vince would just say they "lead a Gothic lifestyle."

The question with Punk and the question that comes up all of the time is what kind of spot/push does a wrestler deserve?

You could argue that no wrestler deserves anything. It's a work and they should take any morsel of success given to them and say thank you. The WWE putting Bryan or Punk or even Cesaro in the spots they're in has made all of them enormously wealthy and successful.

On the other hand, if a wrestler believes he is being booked poorly does he have a legitimate gripe? Punk likely believes he could be bigger/ more popular than he is if given the ball. The crowds tend to give the impression that they back this up. Should a wrestler in that position just take it or advocate for himself?

I can see both sides. Either way, I want motivated Punk back. The lead up to taker-punk was some of the most fun I had as a wrestling fan in a long time.

• Like 1

Did they ever actually use the word "vampire" to describe the Brood? IIRC Vince would just say they "lead a Gothic lifestyle."

Not that I recall - JR referred to the "viscous red liquid" that Gangrel drank, because calling it blood would be an assumption.

On Punk the thing I keep going back to is the idea that because he didn't/doesn't plan to resign with WWE he say that he was likely to be put in an angle with Trip who has already once cut out his legs, so Punk went to Vince complained about it didn't get what he wanted and left.

I'm of the opinion that Punk didn't leave so much because of the booking (though it didn't help probably) but because the grind of the schedule and his injuries were about to make him snap. He needed time off. Probably a lot more than he got (if he's returning Monday).

It's like watching a hamster in a hamster wheel. You're going around this subject the same way every time, but you're clearly having fun so I don't want to stop you.

• Like 3

The question with Punk and the question that comes up all of the time is what kind of spot/push does a wrestler deserve?

You could argue that no wrestler deserves anything. It's a work and they should take any morsel of success given to them and say thank you. The WWE putting Bryan or Punk or even Cesaro in the spots they're in has made all of them enormously wealthy and successful.

On the other hand, if a wrestler believes he is being booked poorly does he have a legitimate gripe? Punk likely believes he could be bigger/ more popular than he is if given the ball. The crowds tend to give the impression that they back this up. Should a wrestler in that position just take it or advocate for himself?

I can see both sides. Either way, I want motivated Punk back. The lead up to taker-punk was some of the most fun I had as a wrestling fan in a long time.

Coming off the Heyman Feud, Punk just came off really unmotivated and unfocused.  He was the one coming out of those matches looking like the problem, not the guys he was in there with and its not like he was working a program with Darren Young.  He really just made both The Shield (who he beat 3-on-1 for god's sake) and The Wyatts look bad because he was going over and looked so disinterested.  If you're unhappy about those cool down angles, make them actually work!  You're the 'best in the world' you should be able to get something out of working with clearly motivated guys who have been able to do business with every other face in the company.  If its me, you just don't reward this lack of effort with main event angles.

• Like 1

AJ Styles run in the indies has not been a good one so far.   He was lucky that he didn't break Roderick Strong's neck in ROH a month or so ago

British wrestler Lionheart suffered a broken neck last night after taking AJ Styles' Styles Clash incorrectly during the main event of a Preston City Wrestling event.

It was described as a scary scene at the end of the show. The promotion announced via it's Twitter that an MRI revealed a broken neck.

The promotion announced, "We are looking at the best of a bad situation. He does not need surgery and he is sitting upright without a neck brace on. No nerve damage can be seen and hopefully just a clean break. As we said before he has good movement in his arms and legs."

Why does Styles still use that damn thing?  He's hurt or nearly hurt like 4 people with it and its not like its the world's most awesome finish that ever finished.