DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

@Ourand_SBJ:

Good news/bad news for FS1. UFC posted 1.1 overnight rating, better than ESPN's LLWS (0.7) and ESPN2's women's tennis (0.5). 1/2

FS1's "Fox Sports Live" posted a 0.2 overnight from 11-midnight, far below "SportsCenter" on ESPN, which had a 0.6 overnight. 2/2

Note the change in the Topic Title. I had meant to start the thread this way when the new board started but I am so very lazy.

FS1 firing up reminded me to do so.

That Crowd Goes Wild show looks like a dumpster fire.

Note the change in the Topic Title. I had meant to start the thread this way when the new board started but I am so very lazy.

FS1 firing up reminded me to do so.

That Crowd Goes Wild show looks like a dumpster fire.

I think it's going to be pretty fun. The No Filter videos that Katie Nolan has been putting on the Fox Youtube channel this week are hilarious.

My issue with Fox Sports Live was them trying to make absolutely everything funny.  Comedy doesn't work that way, and sports broadcasts definitely don't work that way.  The constant run of unfunny comments ruin any actual funny comments they stumble upon.  The only way being a funny and irreverent sports show can work is if someone plays it straight.  You can't have Jerry Lewis' and zero no Dean Martins. 

The other issue with all of the failed comedy is they don't have anyone who has any comedic chops.  I'm sure most of these guys can be funny at a bar or shooting the shit with their friends, but being consistently, professionally funny takes years of experience.  Being funny is like building muscle, you have to spend the time in the gym putting in the reps to be good.  It seems like they just put on a bunch of guys who can make them laugh socially instead of guys who have the ability to be funny professionally.  It is a completely different skill set that is fairly rare especially in the sports world. 

• Like 1

My god, how much time did SC devote to a fucking pre-season game between the Colts and Giants?  Felt like it must have been over 10 minutes in one segment. 

In the first 16 minutes of SportsCenter, they talked about two games: Sawx-Yanks and Giants-Colts. In the first 16 minutes of FSL, they talked about I think half a dozen MLB games and the preseason game, spending more time on Pam Oliver getting hit in the face with a football than anything else.

My god, how much time did SC devote to a fucking pre-season game between the Colts and Giants?  Felt like it must have been over 10 minutes in one segment. 

In the first 16 minutes of SportsCenter, they talked about two games: Sawx-Yanks and Giants-Colts. In the first 16 minutes of FSL, they talked about I think half a dozen MLB games and the preseason game, spending more time on Pam Oliver getting hit in the face with a football than anything else.

I swear during this past NBA, and NHL season they literally had four highlight packages. Heat/?, Lakers/?, a collage basketball game, and one sarcastic, and bored sounding NHL highlight. The rest of the show was filled with Tebow talk.

I agree that FS1 is missing an opportunity: Just give me a highlight show with clips, cogent analysis, and maybe 1 or two big interviews. . . Sound like they are trying to out 4 letter the 4 letter network, and its too bad. . .At least they are coming out swinging with their 5 p.m. show (not switching fromATH or PTI) though. . . Fox needs to establish a signature show, with its their sportscenter or one of their talking heads shows, and build around that. . Its bad enough one can't watch ESPNEWS without getting bad jokes, we really needed a new network for that?  And the already have commericals that rip off the "this is sportcenter" campaign without the history or gravitas to pull it off. Having said all that, I do hope that FS1 succeeds, if only to push the 4 letter out of its collective(and corporate) malaise its been in forever.

It would be so much better if they didn't have aweseome extreme kickass music under the highlights.  When did everyone decide that my sad stupid brain couldn't process anything without Poochy air-guitar stimulating my bro chromes?  BRAH!!!!!

Maybe sometimes you don't even notice it, but once you do it's all you can hear and I feel kind of insulted.  Like they're daring me to find another place to hang out.

The thing about Jay and Dan is not that they're funny all the time, fuck most of their jokes are terrible, that's the charm. That and how well they work together, as they are clearly the bestest buds in the world. Jay's kinda wacky and weird, Dan is the straight man who tries to keep up with his own weirdness. Obviously I have not seen the FS1 show, but I'd probably guess they were trying to hard or were told "hey, we love how funny you guys are, do that all the time!"

What they really need is some hockey to sink their teeth into....or for a girl to be bumped into by Ichiro again.

What they really need is some hockey to sink their teeth into....or for a girl to be bumped into by Ichiro again.

See, I find that incredibly annoying and not funny.  There's funny to be had in that moment but that guy missed it.

There's a story in the ESPN book where a young Sportcenrer Anchor asks either Keith or Dan what he can do to get better and the person tells him to start by going three segments without a joke then three shows then three weeks....his point being the less jokes you tell the funnier they will be when you do tell one

Oh, and for everyone that wants "just highlights", there were two shows like that in the last year (Highlight Express on ESPNEWS and The Lights on NBCSN), and no one gave a shit and watched.

But the anchors still made the awful jokes and tried to get themselves over. . . when the G- squad is pull that shit, you have a problem. Hell with high speed internet, I don't watch much of any highlight shows anymore, especially if a team who ESPN is sucking off wins.