DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

If you wanna hear something *really* fucked up, Fox just won the rights to the golf US Open starting in 2015. Fox? Golf? ZUH?!

It's going to be hilarious watching FOX hope and pray that Tiger gets his "mojo" back, and when he doesn't and just gets older and shittier and doesn't win any more majors poor Fox will be stuck trying to push Rory and co. as their ratings continue to fall.

If you wanna hear something *really* fucked up, Fox just won the rights to the golf US Open starting in 2015. Fox? Golf? ZUH?!

It's going to be hilarious watching FOX hope and pray that Tiger gets his "mojo" back, and when he doesn't and just gets older and shittier and doesn't win any more majors poor Fox will be stuck trying to push Rory and co. as their ratings continue to fall.

Wait.  There are other Golf Players than Tiger?  Dude, I watch ESPN a lot.  I think I'd know if that was true.

Has anybody heard on what is being planned for the next season of 30 for 30?  I know that the guy who did that documentary about LeBron James' senior high school season is doing an episode about the long-suffering fans of Cleveland and the 49 years they've had to endure without a World Championship, but otherwise I haven't heard anything.

I would have to image they'll be doing an episode about the Penn State scandal and maybe something about the Florida A&M Marching 100 hazing scandal that led to a student being beaten to death on a tour bus

No way they touch the Penn State or Florida A&M dramas.  It's too soon.  Maybe if 30 for 30 is still going in 10 years, they'll look at those stories.

I know they're supposed to do a Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan episode in time for the Winter Olympics.

I cant see them doing a 30 for 30 since they did a pretty in depth OTL on the Florida A&M deal, and any Penn State doc has to wait till the trails for the three staff members happens unless your going for the heres the story so far and that comes off as more of an OTL show then a 30 for 30. 

That is so depressing. The greatest golfer of my time, and he was defeated by a 5'11 Swedish nanny who only had a 9-iron at her disposal.

If FOX is only going to be doing the US Open and no other golf coverage during the year - then they will probably stay in house and not hire a bunch of new talent

Its a lock Chris Myers will do it since he has covered the US Open before (and the Masters).

And it will be easy to grab some "former" star to be their Johnny Miller

No way they touch the Penn State or Florida A&M dramas.  It's too soon.  Maybe if 30 for 30 is still going in 10 years, they'll look at those stories.

I know they're supposed to do a Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan episode in time for the Winter Olympics.

The Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan doc could be fucking gold.  I swear that story happened 10 years too early, because that shit would have blown the internet into smithereens.  She hired a goon to hit her teammate in the knee with a crowbar, and some how was still allowed to compete in the olympics.  That is one of the craziest sports stories of all time.

No way they touch the Penn State or Florida A&M dramas. It's too soon. Maybe if 30 for 30 is still going in 10 years, they'll look at those stories.I know they're supposed to do a Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan episode in time for the Winter Olympics.

The Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan doc could be fucking gold. I swear that story happened 10 years too early, because that shit would have blown the internet into smithereens. She hired a goon to hit her teammate in the knee with a crowbar, and some how was still allowed to compete in the olympics. That is one of the craziest sports stories of all time.
And then melts down on the ice during said Olympics including the iconic pic of her balling with her leg on the judges wall pointing to her skate laces

Well, let us all at least be thankful that McCarver is retiring. If only Joe Buck could take an early retirement.

That is kind of him. Sometimes seems like baseball announcers have the same job security as the Supreme Court. Harry Kalas was brutal here the last few years before he passed. Consistently doing the home run scream for what turned out to be a flyout. 

The 30 for 30s are supposed to be about either stories people have forgotten about over the years, or something everyone remembers but someone finds an interesting take on it.

They released the next batch of the 30 for 30's about a month ago:

October 1. Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau. This film will examine the tragic life of Hawaiian surfer Eddie Aikau, and is directed by Sam George.October 8. Free Spirits. This one is going to look at the Spirits of St Louis leading into the NBA/ABA merger, and how the team is still existing and making money for their owners today. It's directed by Daniel H. Forer.October 15. No Mas. The name should tell you all you need to know about this documentary: a look behind the scenes of the two fights between Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard. The director is Eric Drath.October 22. Big Shot. Hey, another hockey documentary! Big Shot will break down the scandal involving John Spano's attempted purchase of the Islanders in 1996, and is directed by Kevin Connolly.October 29. This is What They Want. Jimmy Connors' miraculous run in the 1991 US Open is examined, and is directed by Brian Koppleman and David Levien.November 5. Tonya and Nancy. This is another one where the title makes it obvious what the subject matter will be: the incident between figure skaters Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding in 1994. The director is Nanette Burstein.

I have this bad feeling that golf on Fox would be the equivalent of the "IT'S IN THE HOLE" chants in the crowd

Also can't figure out why anyone would want an extra hour of College Football Gameday.  It already drags like hell after 90 minutes just waiting to see Corso put the mascot head on. 

NFL Network (or NHL Network) not using their library of classic games nearly enough will never cease pissing me off.

Isn't Fred Dryer (that's Hunter to the 1980s kids) suing the NFL over image/likeness issues?  Maybe they're holding off showing so many because of the legal implications.

The 30 for 30s are supposed to be about either stories people have forgotten about over the years, or something everyone remembers but someone finds an interesting take on it.

They released the next batch of the 30 for 30's about a month ago:

October 1. Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau. This film will examine the tragic life of Hawaiian surfer Eddie Aikau, and is directed by Sam George.October 8. Free Spirits. This one is going to look at the Spirits of St Louis leading into the NBA/ABA merger, and how the team is still existing and making money for their owners today. It's directed by Daniel H. Forer.October 15. No Mas. The name should tell you all you need to know about this documentary: a look behind the scenes of the two fights between Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard. The director is Eric Drath.October 22. Big Shot. Hey, another hockey documentary! Big Shot will break down the scandal involving John Spano's attempted purchase of the Islanders in 1996, and is directed by Kevin Connolly.October 29. This is What They Want. Jimmy Connors' miraculous run in the 1991 US Open is examined, and is directed by Brian Koppleman and David Levien.November 5. Tonya and Nancy. This is another one where the title makes it obvious what the subject matter will be: the incident between figure skaters Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding in 1994. The director is Nanette Burstein.

I have this bad feeling that golf on Fox would be the equivalent of the "IT'S IN THE HOLE" chants in the crowd

Also can't figure out why anyone would want an extra hour of College Football Gameday.  It already drags like hell after 90 minutes just waiting to see Corso put the mascot head on. 

HBO already did an excellent documentary about the Duran-Leonard fight, but that was 20 years ago when Duran did his comeback, so I guess it's okay if they rehash it.

NFL Network (or NHL Network) not using their library of classic games nearly enough will never cease pissing me off.

Isn't Fred Dryer (that's Hunter to the 1980s kids) suing the NFL over image/likeness issues?  Maybe they're holding off showing so many because of the legal implications.

I thought he was running for vice president.

You know I was kind of indifferent to Keith Olbermann returning to ESPN, but I saw the recent Olbermann Yankees segment, and it was like a throwback to the good old days of SC at it's peak. Now I want more of that from the mother ship.

• Like 1

Which shouldn't be a surprise.  Hell, we went through the exact same thing when NBC paired him and Dan back up for the halftime highlight packages on the Sunday night games a few years ago.  People freaking out about how he was going to "inject politics into the NFL" and then him and Dan just doing their old Big Show schtick and it being awesome.

Regardless of how people feel about his politics, and regardless of how obviously doomed this relationship is, Keith Olbermann has always been one of the most talented tv anchors ever.