DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Well now... apparently ESPN has hired Nate Silver and that includes moving FiveThirtyEight over too.

Apparently he is going to be a regular contributor on Olbermann's new show and he will get appearances on ABC during key election cycles.

The story says his contract was up next month with the NY Times so I guess he got the bigger better deal

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/business/media/nate-silver-blogger-for-new-york-times-is-to-join-espn-staff.html?_r=0

Now I wonder if that means they are actually going to have/let Keith do some political commentary...

I was wondering the same.  He'll obviously draw in some of his old audience, but I wonder how it will all work?  If it's some bizarre blend of sports and politics it seems like it would just turn everyone off. 

Now I wonder if that means they are actually going to have/let Keith do some political commentary...

I don't think he'll be allowed to do political commentary. I think that if he makes any claim about racism, he's going to be punished (not necessarily fired) if his opinion is not something that would be shared by both the left and the right.

Is there really a point to SportsNation now that it isn't the "some guy and a hot blonde" show? I've never watched a full episode but is every episode just them showing clips of stuff?

Pretty much.  Marcellus Wiley has the personality for a show like this, but he was better served when he co-hosted Winners Bracket with Michelle Beadle.  He doesn't fit well with Kellerman, who seems really sad for whatever reason.  Having your once-promising career come to this must suck.

I was wondering the same.  He'll obviously draw in some of his old audience, but I wonder how it will all work?  If it's some bizarre blend of sports and politics it seems like it would just turn everyone off.

If you believe john skipper, he said if something political came up related to sports, it would likely be a topic.

Pretty much.  Marcellus Wiley has the personality for a show like this, but he was better served when he co-hosted Winners Bracket with Michelle Beadle.  He doesn't fit well with Kellerman, who seems really sad for whatever reason.  Having your once-promising career come to this must suck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Kellerman#Murder_of_his_brother

Yeah, I knew about his brother's murder.  I can't imagine going through something like that.  But his current demeanor seems to have been born from something besides that, at least to me.  As if he's thinking How did I get here?  I don't belong here.

But I'll admit to not being a Kellerman fan.  Nothing against him, just didn't have any use for him, either.

Maybe it's a byproduct of now hosting the show that no one watches that leads up to the much more successful show you used to host. I'm sure every day he comes to work he feels like he has taken a step backward.

Didn't Charissa Thompson go to Fox Sports 1. Or maybe NBC Sports not sure

yes, she is the main "host" of their Sportscenter, Fox Sports Live. I presume her and Andy Roddick do the "features/debate" stuff while Jay and Dan do the highlights.

I am so thankful for the media creating that LeBron/USA Basketball non-story. We're deep in the doldrums of Summer PTI. 

I just hope that the steroid scandal can carry us through to the NFL pre-season, because Wilbon and the B-Team talking baseball is the opposite of entertaining television.