DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Those 90's SC's had a lot of jokes though.

The point isn't that they weren't full of jokes, the point is that the jokes weren't just forced into every single highlight.  Being able to do the 3 segments, 3 days, and 3 weeks without jokes is really good advice.  That way if nothing funny comes up organically, they can still have a good show.  Even sitcoms don't put a joke into every single moment, there has to be some downtime in order for the jokes to mean something.  Have you ever tried to watch some of those old Sabu matches where he tries the triple jump plancha off the chair but fucks it up 4 times in a row?  He'll put the chair down run, jump off of it and slips on the ropes.  Then he'll adjust the chair and try again, but this time the chair is too far away.  Then he moves it closer and still can't get it.  Eventually he just stops trying to land on the rope and it looks like he trips over it.  By the end of all of that no one gives a rat's ass.  That is what happens when you spend all show forcing multiple bad jokes in, by the time you actually get one no one cares. 

Those 90's SC's had a lot of jokes though.

The point isn't that they weren't full of jokes, the point is that the jokes weren't just forced into every single highlight.  Being able to do the 3 segments, 3 days, and 3 weeks without jokes is really good advice.  That way if nothing funny comes up organically, they can still have a good show.  Even sitcoms don't put a joke into every single moment, there has to be some downtime in order for the jokes to mean something.  Have you ever tried to watch some of those old Sabu matches where he tries the triple jump plancha off the chair but fucks it up 4 times in a row?  He'll put the chair down run, jump off of it and slips on the ropes.  Then he'll adjust the chair and try again, but this time the chair is too far away.  Then he moves it closer and still can't get it.  Eventually he just stops trying to land on the rope and it looks like he trips over it.  By the end of all of that no one gives a rat's ass.  That is what happens when you spend all show forcing multiple bad jokes in, by the time you actually get one no one cares. 

Keith and Dan are light years better than virtually anyone doing the show today as well.

Have first take on with the sound off, and first of all, I liked the old Cold Pizza so much better(probably been more years ago than I remember it being), and just watching Skip's body language makes my head hurt. . .

• Like 1

Have first take on with the sound off, and first of all, I liked the old Cold Pizza so much better(probably been more years ago than I remember it being), and just watching Skip's body language makes my head hurt. . .

Cold Pizza was one of my favorite things ESPN has ever produced.  The slow bastardization of it into what is now pisses me off beyond belief.

I must find more internet sports radio beyond ESPN and CBS. Help me! :( If have to hear Cowherd crap on RGIII over his 'frivilous' sock collection again, I can not be held responsible for my actions!

Fan 590 in torontoTsn1050 in torontoBbc 5 liveTalksportA million sports podcasts

My issue with Fox Sports Live was them trying to make absolutely everything funny.  Comedy doesn't work that way, and sports broadcasts definitely don't work that way. 

It reminds me of a story from one of the SportsCenter anchors in the ESPN book. Olbermann talked him into doing a show with no jokes whatsoever, and move up from there.

My issue with Fox Sports Live was them trying to make absolutely everything funny.  Comedy doesn't work that way, and sports broadcasts definitely don't work that way. 

It reminds me of a story from one of the SportsCenter anchors in the ESPN book. Olbermann talked him into doing a show with no jokes whatsoever, and move up from there.

That sounds like jokes are the adverbs of sports anchoring.  People sometimes say that when you're writing something, your first draft should have 0 adverbs.  Then you can go through and add three.

Awesomely, I've totally and freely avoided such an obviously insanely absurd idea myself and my writing is completely and totally perfect.

Shit.

• Like 1

Cross-posted from the wrestling thread. From Bill Simmons' mailbag

Q: Did I just hear on your podcast that you were "never a fan of" Bret Hart? As a lifelong follower of the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be, I'd appreciate an explanation.—Dennis, PhiladelphiaSG: Let's see … no personality, no sense of humor, wet hair, horrible entrance music, hideous wrestling outfit (pink and black?), never tweaked his gimmick, didn't get along with Shawn Michaels, "carried" the WWE during its most boring stretch of the past 40 years, sold out for WCW money, remains memorable only because of (a) the Montreal Screwjob (and the fact that he punched Vince McMahon afterward), and (B) his phenomenal Ewing Theory credentials (the WWE took off again right after he left). Just thought he was overrated.Quick tangent: In our aforementioned podcast last week, Wesley Morris mentioned his "market corrections" theory and how, sometimes, there can be only one "type" of successful lane for one actor (only with multiple actors vying for it). An example he liked: Mark Harmon never making it as a leading movie actor because Kevin Costner took all of those marquee roles that could have gone to Harmon from 1988 through 1995. Costner was Harmon's market-correction guy, the guy blocking Harmon from having a Costner-like career.Same for Tom Hanks and Michael Keaton — they battled for seven years for "funny/likable comic actor who dabbles in serious roles and will eventually become an A-lister" supremacy, with Keaton gaining an early A-list upper hand in 1989 thanks to the Batman movies. What happened to Hanks? Total tailspin! That was his Joe Versus the Volcano/Bonfire of the Vanities stretch — three years of forgettable movies. When Hanks rallied back in 1992 with A League of Their Own, then Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia (Oscar) and Forrest Gump (Oscar), what happened to Keaton? TAILSPIN! As Wesley says, there could be only one.Back to Bret Hart: His market-correction guy was "Mr. Perfect," Curt Hennig, another technically terrific wrestler who hit the WWE in the mid-1980s. I always loved the arrogant "Mr. Perfect" gimmick and thought Hennig was more interesting and entertaining than Hart, but Hart's extended wrestling family (brother Owen, brothers-in-law Jim Neidhart and British Bulldog) morphed into the Hart Foundation family, which stole good spots in every pay-per-view. With the Hitman leading the way, of course. So Hennig ended up being the Keaton to Hitman's Hanks — he never won the WWE title and eventually jumped to WCW. So not only did Bret Hart semi-bore the hell out of us in dozens of pay-per-views, he drove away his more entertaining market-correction guy. I don't hate him for it. Just can't call myself a Hitman fan. Wait, did we just spend four paragraphs on this?