DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Guest The Magnificent 7

Ben Miller is kind of stretching the definition of opportunity cost there. If I walk into a pawn shop and try to sell my watch for $1,000 and the pawn shop dude offers me $50, my opportunity cost isn't $950.  All I did was overvalue my watch by $950 dollars in that particular marketplace and in negotiation.  There's no choice involved.  You can't forego a nonexistent alternative, as I was never going to get $1,000 for it.  I'm simplifying it a bit there, but I don't think he really gets what opportunity cost is. 

FS1 was never going to get 80 cents.  They didn't forego 80 cents to get 23 cents because 80 cents wasn't a choice.  They didn't turn down 80 cents.

It's pure speculation that if they held out that it would have resulted in the price they wanted.  Who cares what NBCSHD executives say in intereviews?  Executives say all kinds of shit in interviews.

What they're doing is waiting until the Speed contracts expire with those three (whenever they may be, all at different times) and then getting the increase then. Their goal is to be at $1 within four years. People can get savage about missing their sports...during a standoff between Dish and BTN last year, fans were spitting venom over missing horseshit out of conference football.

Dish still hasn't added TWCSportsnet/TWCDeportes. I'm still wondering if they'll ever add those channels. People weren't nearly as bad with Dish about not getting that channel (and Laker fans can be crazy!) compared to how people got during Dish/AMC's hiccup.

Man, I swear, AMC tried to drive me away during that, running scrolls about how it was going to stop being on DISH and call this number and blah blah blah and I'm just sitting there going "I have cable, you motherfuckers.  Stop telling me this, I don't fucking care."

I don't know if Fox Sports 1 is deserving of its own thread but from looking at the schedule it is going be NBC Sports network but instead of hockey we get lots of NASCAR and UFC. I don't see any baseball which is surprising which I would think is crucial for this network until football season begins.

Eh, it's more consolidation than anything else. FX is being branded as the "drama" channel and they're getting all of the sports and comedy stuff off of there. Fox Soccer is being rebranded as FXX in two weeks and all of the comedy stuff is going on there.

This SportsCenter type show is fucking terrible..

Just tuned in to see the results of Fight Night and literally my first thought was, "This guy is trying WAAAYYYY too hard to be hip and irreverent." 

Clearly, his bosses told him they wanted the show to be the unholy offspring of the Daily Show mated with Patrick/Olbermann-era Sportscenter.

Always growing pains with the first show...seemed like the prompter was fast on one of the batches of NFL highlights, because Dan was calling the action way before it happened. I think Roddick is going to wind up being a really good analyst.

Okay.  I just tried to watch the Fox Sport 1 highlight show. 

"Later in the quarter Blaine Gabbert...Blaine Yo Gabba Gabbert..."

...and I just turned of the Fox Sport 1 highlight show.  If I want to be fucked by Chris Berman, I know where to go for that.  I actually have a standing appointment every Monday.