DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

It involved Aaron Hernandez and you have to report it because apparently nothing else is happen at training camp for the other teams.  <_<

I thought it was funny that Todd Grisham was doing the reporting. Not sure if doing live reports from a dirty lake is better than working for Vince but probably cloe

I constantly giggle whenever I happen to turn on Sportscenter and Todd or Coach are on.  It's not fair to them, they both moved up to a better job, etc etc...  But I laugh.

• Like 1

I understand reporting it. A two second back from break at the half hours is fine. 'reports out of Bristol say police are searching a lake near Aaron Hernadez home' is fine BUT they had a picture in picture of the damn lake like the diver was going to pop up from under water with the gun with a big 'property of A. Hernadez' sticker or something

• Like 1

Bill Simmons latest column is unreadable.  

Seriously, I know it's supposed to be an NBA off-season column, but I don't know if he actually ever speaks about the NBA. 

It's his annual "Quotes from some old movie that have nothing to do with the NBA, but I am going to try and force it to fit because annual gimmick" column.

There's a bit of decent stuff buried deep in it, but it's not good.

I constantly giggle whenever I happen to turn on Sportscenter and Todd or Coach are on.  It's not fair to them, they both moved up to a better job, etc etc...  But I laugh.

Grisham is horrible on Friday Night Fights and doesn't know much about boxing, but I give him a solid and respectable C+ for his effort. He doesn't come off like a douchebag and that counts for a lot.

I think Simmons gets the second-most bitching about in the ESPN book behind Olbermann, doesn't he?

No, Tony Kornheiser is neck and neck with Olbermann with the coming off like the worst person on earth.  Simmons seemed like the type of person who knew his value to the company and demanded to be treated in a way that was equal to his value.  I guess it could make you think he's an asshole, but it is a good place to be when you're negotiating. 

Sadly, the movie quotes off-season thread is that terrible song that was a big hit and you can't understand why, when there were, like, 7 better tracks just on that album alone.

I don't mind the movie quotes gimmick, Simmons only gets really annoying when he devotes 4-5 columns in a row to Pats or Celtics cocksucking in the middle of a season with alot of other stoy lines to cover. That and when he has his dad on his podcast; a paragraph in a long column? Why not, but 30+ minutes on a podcast? Talk about jacking yourself off. . . .

The only good part of that Simmons monstrosity was when he said Philly should complete their tanking for next season by hiring head coach Allen Iverson. Tremendous idea.  

My favorite part was this:

To the Orlando Magic, who seemed totally screwed by the Dwightmare as recently as 12 months ago … only now, they're earning e-mails like this one (courtesy of Fort Wayne reader Jared Benz): "How come no one has revisited how Orlando somehow, against all odds, managed to not only win, but completely pillage everyone else involved in the Dwight Howard trade?"

Let's see … they gave up one year of Howard and ended up with a promising starting center (Nikola Vucevic), a starting 2-guard (Arron Afflalo) and a semi-promising swingman (Mo Harkless) … they dumped Jason Richardson's semi-unseemly contract on Philly … they picked up three first-rounders (Denver's 2014 pick, the Lakers' 2017 pick and a far-away-in-the-future Philly pick) … and they worsened their 2013 team enough that they landed the no. 2 overall pick (Victor Oladipo). Jared is right, that was an outright pillaging! At the time, I criticized the Magic for not getting Andrew Bynum and made multiple jokes about then-new Orlando GM Rob Hennigan being overmatched. You know what? I'm giving myself a quote.

To me, for doing such a mediocre impersonation of a wannabe NBA GM in this column. I wouldn't have done any better than most of these failed guys. Well, except for David Kahn. I would have done better than him. Anyway, combine Orlando's Howard haul with its Harris-Redick hijacking and Hennigan could start putting "Sam Presti 2.0" on his business cards. Let's hope he doesn't trade Oladipo for 20 cents on the dollar in four years. (Sorry, I had to.)

I love a good hedge.

It is also going to be really hard to compete with a network that has NFL, NBA, and MLB contracts.  It's great to have a competing network, but how well can a network compete when they don't have the rights to show the big money sports.

FOX has the NFC, MLB regular season and playoffs, major college sports and NASCAR (oh, and UFC).

ESPN has the second-worst weekly NFL match-up (thank gawd for the Thursday Night game), regular season MLB, smaller college sports events, smaller NASCAR events, Futbol and regular season NBA games that aren't cherry-picked by Turner/ABC.

It's a start.

The big war is going to be over Ad dollars. These networks need to scoop up every dollar they can before the TV bubble bursts. ESPN's ratings are already in decline - Deadspin has been covering that all year.

CBS/Turner has slowly been collecting big ticket items - they have the AFC, they own March Madness, the NBA/Eastern Conference Playoffs, MLB regular season and Playoffs, the back-half of the NASCAR schedule after the FOX schedule ends, PGA, tennis.

The most vulnerable network is NBC, who basically just has the biggest game of the NFL schedule each week (which is a big get); the Olympics, tennis and hockey.

FOX has all those rights, but FOX Sports One is a whole new network.  They won't be able to show any NFL, NBA, or NHL games.  I don't know how MLB rights work, but they are going to be playing from behind for college football games not being shown on ABC, CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, and FOX.  I'd like to see FOX Sports One succeed, but the sports on television has to be reaching it's saturation point.  The UFC contract will be good for them, but it didn't make Fuel or Versus legit ESPN competitors, and I don't think FOX Sports One will fair much better.