WRESTLER OF THE DAY: MR. HUGHES

RIPPA

Uh,

A good Hughes match.

Ok.

we can do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Dse0fyehU

Yes we can.

This isn't nearly as good but I love Randy's Captain America outfit.

Waltman bumps around the ring for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI9jUiuOdYk

I will say this. I don't THINK they ever ran a taped Undertaker/Nailz match, though they set it up. That, by default, makes some of the Hughes/Undertaker matches from 93 the second worst of Taker's stuff from the era, second only to the Gonzalez matches. He was doing the slightly changed style with a bit more aerial/quick paced moves but it just wasn't enough. Just painful stuff.

Interesting that Hughes kept the name when he went to the WWF. I assume he had it trademarked?

i'm no expert, but.. since his real name was Curtis Hughes, would it be harder for them to trademark that name? A little different than Mr. Kennedy/Mr. Anderson due to the real name factor.

Then again, Hughes didn't work in WCW after his 1993 WWF run, IIRC. So it's not like they tested that case so who knows

I remember babyface Vader helping Luger against the Garvin/Hayes version of the Freebirds of all people.

Hughes is leagues below Meng and Bubba.  He's better than Virgil.  That's not really high praise though.  Better bodyguard than The Wall just because Wall turned on his client almost immediately.

The best thing about Mr. Hughes is his permanent bird flipping hand.

When I went through and binge watched 1994 ECW the promos with Shane Douglas and Mr Hughes were highlights ("I got somethin' for ya and it's called the Sidewalk Slam!"). For whatever reason I've always liked Hughes, I honest to God can't tell you why. That fucking MC Lyte Ruffneck video was interminable though.

You know, if we are talking about bodyguards who got their employer more over, Chyna is as good an answer as anybody.  Triple H's rise really started when she replaced Hughes.

I mean, once she started being an active wrestler, that all went to hell, but when she was just big, silent, and kicked people's asses when the ref wasn't looking, she was pretty damn good at the role.

Uh,

A good Hughes match.

Ok.

we can do this

There is a ton of good Hughes out there.

One of the Schneider  comps has the Mr Hughes v Nikita singles match.

There is the Hughes and Vader team, there is the Hughes and Cactus Jack team,

There is Mr Hughes with the State Patrol v Morton, Rich and Jyd.

There is Mr Hughes teamed with Barbarian on NC indies.

How long was the Mr Hughes v Arachnaphobia match that was substory of the Van Hammer/Cactus Jack feud?

Interesting that Hughes kept the name when he went to the WWF. I assume he had it trademarked?

WCW really wasn't on the ball with trademarks back then. Plus, the dudes' name was Curtis Hughes.