DVDVR Message Board

I wanted Austin to call out Vince on the scripted promo nonsense. You can't really grab that brass ring when your every word is scripted.

And this is what I feared about the interview. Good questions, but neither wanted to push too far. SC still wants to get those WWE checks and McMahon doesn't want to make himself look/sound like a fool. So both went as far as either could go without getting DEEP into it. I think if Austin would have brought up Zack Ryder and dug more into the scripted promos- then it would have been a more solid interview.

I wanted Austin to call out Vince on the scripted promo nonsense. You can't really grab that brass ring when your every word is scripted.

The last couple who did like that were Punk, who said he'd throw his scripts away and say what he wanted, and Bryan, who sucks at scripted promos, and got over because of what he did in the ring, and the fact that, scripted or not, he's just so damned genuinely likable.

Cesaro: "Hey guys, I missed it.  Was it worth a listen?  Did he mention any of us?"

The boys: "Hey,...um...no...I wouldn't bother...I mean, nooooo.  You should skip it.  Hey, Gilmore Girls on BLu Ray!!!"

Cesaro: "Awesome! I always promise myself I won't get caught up, but then I do!"

• Like 3

And this is what I feared about the interview. Good questions, but neither wanted to push too far. SC still wants to get those WWE checks and McMahon doesn't want to make himself look/sound like a fool. So both went as far as either could go without getting DEEP into it. I think if Austin would have brought up Zack Ryder and dug more into the scripted promos- then it would have been a more solid interview.

I think Austin hinted as much as he could. He basically asked Vince why he went from booking by the pool to employing writers. Vince didn't take the bait and Austin didn't want to push it.

That was fascinating and completely engrossing. I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd get something that basically amounts to a shoot interview from Vince.

I hope they sit down again soon, we need to know what Vince thought about the John Stossel incident and Curtain Call God dammit.

• Like 1

I think Austin wanted to hit a broad overview of things. Probably could have pushed harder, but if you listen to Austin give his thoughts on wrestling he's probably more in-line with WWE-mindset anyway. I imagine he agreed with a lot of what Vince said. You can tell that he definitely doesn't agree with the way Punk left, and thinks that most of the roster is too timid and missing something. 

I think people that wanted Austin to grill him may have misunderstood what Austin's mindset about wrestling is. 

• Like 1

The last couple who did like that were Punk, who said he'd throw his scripts away and say what he wanted, and Bryan, who sucks at scripted promos, and got over because of what he did in the ring, and the fact that, scripted or not, he's just so damned genuinely likable.

Which is that it with regards to Cesaro.  I understand what he is saying; are you cheering for the wrestler, because you were told he is cool, or do you genuinely care about him?  Is he a likable or dislikable character to the point that I am invested with him?  How invested are you?  Those are the subtleties that a promoter notices with respect to crowd reaction.

I think Austin hinted as much as he could. He basically asked Vince why he went from booking by the pool to employing writers. Vince didn't take the bait and Austin didn't want to push it.

In fairness, when Vince was booking by the pool it was for about eight hours of TV a month with 2/3 of that being squash matches. 

• Like 1

Which is that it with regards to Cesaro.  I understand what he is saying; are you cheering for the wrestler, because you were told he is cool, or do you genuinely care about him?  Is he a likable or dislikable character to the point that I am invested with him?  How invested are you?  Those are the subtleties that a promoter notices with respect to crowd reaction.

Ya, I think with Cesaro, the WWE's thinking was that it was the swing that was over, not Cesaro himself.  I do agree that Cesaro is missing that connection with the crowd that will get him to the next level.  He needs his own "YES!"  which is what eventually got Bryan to that next level.

But I don't get it...spots got Cesaro over. What's the different Cesaro circa 2013-2014 and and terrible promo Hardy Boys 1999-2001? Both got over on moves.

Hardy's had a certain look and the way they played to the crowd.  Matt and Jeff knew how to draw a reaction by interacting with the audience before, during, and after moves.  That is what Vince is looking for when he says grab the brass rail.

Look at it this way, a great lead singer makes the person in the last row in the back feel like they are in the front row.  He becomes a larger than life personality and puts you in the front row no matter where you are in the audience.  That is what Vince is searching for.

Theoretically, that's the case, but meanwhile in reality, Cesaro was getting more and more over as a face as they teased the Real Americans breaking up, he got a huge pop at Wrestlemania in the battle royal, one of the best of the not that wasn't for Daniel Bryan...and then they put him with a new manager and made him a heel again, and moreover, a heel playing second fiddle to a guy not on TV for the most part.

Now I remember we all thought it was a step up and a good pairing at the time, but it didn't work out that way, so shouldn't they be trying to build Cesaro back to where he was, having him lean babyface again, because the crowd loves the way he wrestles?

In a three hour show with a cast of largely mediocre-at-best actors, Raw has feature many many more longer matches than it used to. "Sports entertainment" or not, someone like Cesaro, (like Daniel Bryan before him) who can entertain the hell out of the crowd for 20 minutes (without needing to pay a writer a dime) at a time week in and week out is someone they should be taking full advantage of, not turning him into the Nouveau Ringmaster.

• Like 2

Cesaro was over HUGE at Mania after he broke off from Swagger and Zeb, had an over signature spot with The Swing, and won the Andre Battle Royal. People wanted to get behind him...so they make him a HEYMAN GUY right away, negating the turn and any positive momentum. HORRIBLE booking...but do you really think Vince would ever admit that?? Not likely.

But I don't get it...spots got Cesaro over. What's the different Cesaro circa 2013-2014 and and terrible promo Hardy Boys 1999-2001? Both got over on moves.

Seriously?  Teenage girls screamed when the Hardy Boys came out.  They had the look.  And I have tons of early 20s untalented indie workers who stole that look trying to get over to back that up.

I really enjoyed the interview. The insight into Vince's mind and how he sees himself was quite interesting. They really do need to turn this into a series for the network as there are so many topics they could into and get a bit more depth on.

I was surprised to see Vince call out the roster like that. I mean its something I want to say Austin, Cena, and Punk have all said themselves, but its different actually hearing it from the man in charge. Also found the names he threw out as doing the whole take the brass rings deal interesting as its pretty much the guys who have been getting decent pushes on tv the last year or so.

If the swing is over more than Cesaro, then let him fucking run with the swing for awhile! It's a good starting point. And from there, you can dovetail it into stories that make me care about the man. But instead, they killed the swing. And now he's got nothing. Fuck!

• Like 3

If you look at all of the top faces and heels in the last 20 or 30 years they were all larger than life characters.  They were bigger than reality.  That is what Cesaro is missing, that larger than life character.

That he is not just a great wrestler but he is bigger than life. 

Once he crosses that line he will go to the dance as Vince would say.

Theoretically, that's the case, but meanwhile in reality, Cesaro was getting more and more over as a face as they teased the Real Americans breaking up, he got a huge pop at Wrestlemania in the battle royal, one of the best of the not that wasn't for Daniel Bryan...and then they put him with a new manager and made him a heel again, and moreover, a heel playing second fiddle to a guy not on TV for the most part.

Now I remember we all thought it was a step up and a good pairing at the time, but it didn't work out that way, so shouldn't they be trying to build Cesaro back to where he was, having him lean babyface again, because the crowd loves the way he wrestles?

In a three hour show with a cast of largely mediocre-at-best actors, Raw has feature many many more longer matches than it used to. "Sports entertainment" or not, someone like Cesaro, (like Daniel Bryan before him) who can entertain the hell out of the crowd for 20 minutes (without needing to pay a writer a dime) at a time week in and week out is someone they should be taking full advantage of, not turning him into the Nouveau Ringmaster.

This.  A guy isn't going to connect with the audience or get them to emotionally invest in him if he's given a bunch of inconsistent writing/booking, not given ample promo time, or ignored and not further pushed when they're really starting to take off.  Cesaro was absurdly hot after Mania and nothing they did with him afterwards capitalized on that.

Then there's Ziggler, who gets insanely over when he gets the chance.  The way the crowd was behind him at Survivor Series was one of the biggest fan reactions to someone going the distance since Bryan winning at Mania.  Whenever someone like that gets such a moment or starts to build momentum, they end up playing second fiddle to someone else or stuck back in the midcard.