DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Ducky is pretty central to 80s mythology.  He's like the Theseus of sad alt. nerds.

Man, I miss that whole alternative fashion scene and all the various factions back then.  Do teenagers even have anything like that today...like a mainstream culture to rebel against?  We had preppies and sportos and shit.  It was so clear cut. 

Like, I'm super old and out of touch, but everything seems so unified and bland nowadays.  I just sort of see a mainstream and, like, no dissent (this observation is based on my experience of seeing youths in commercials on television).  Are there Ducky's and Ionas and Duncan's (different movie) today?

Brian Doyle Murray!

I love that the camp Olympics consists of three events:

1) balloon squeeze race? = 1 point

2) bike race = 1 point

3) rap-off = 100 points

Derek emerging from the bushes in facepaint and slitting the kid's throat is probably a Top 5 reaction moment in Mr. Show history.

I have a picture of myself and Jon with myself with a huge, shit-eating grin on my face, because the reason that Duckie is in there is because the Duckie character was really important to me when Pretty In Pink came out, and I sort of dressed like him and identified with his being in love with women who would never love him back. So that was a huge, huge thrill for me, and there’s a picture of me with Jon Cryer, and there’s also a picture of me with the monkey. We were told not to make a lot of noise next to the monkey, and taking the picture was kind of dangerous, as I recall, but I risked it.

God Bless you, Scott Aukerman.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow . Good movie with some nice laughs and you get to see Emily Blunt do a really hot body bend. Over and over and over. The ending, however, didn't seem to make sense. Otherwise, good stuff. 7.5/10.

I saw it as well. Best videogame movie not actually based on  videogame? Nice to see Cruise playing both 'Cocky 80s prick Tom Cruise' and 'Oh shit what have I got myself into, I'm going to die horribly' in the same scene.

Also, Bill Paxton.

Regarding the ending...

I get why people don't like it and say it doesn't make sense, but it makes sense to me because of one or two reasons:

The Omega Mimic's ability is only theorized so it's who knows what happens when you become fused with an Omega's blood. If we go with the theory that the Omega allows an Alpha to go one day back in time then it seems to mean that the Omega almost exists out of time. While it can be seen at any one place, killing it without killing an Alpha to thereby prevent the Omega's death by resetting the day. When the Omega is killed, it is killed in all timelines so when Cage wakes up in the helicopter where time reset back to then it is at that point in that timeline where all Mimics are dead. The random point in time doesn't appear all that random because this is a new reset. When he was killed before, he reset back one day earlier at Heathrow. This time, when he dies and re-gains the ability to reset the day, the new reset point is the day before, when he is waking up on the helicopter. Remember, the first time he gets the ability it is a full day later so when he goes back a day it is at Heathrow in handcuffs. This time, when dies and gets the ability it is the same day as when he wakes up in handcuffs. The reset point becomes a full day sooner, which is on the helicopter landing in London.

So that's the happy ending theory. My sad ending theory is that there are other Omegas along with other Mimics elsewhere that learned from that defeat to prevent such a similar loss in the reset timeline. I feel like that holds less weight than the previous theory I mentioned.

I saw the movie yesterday, and dug it a good deal overall. I thought the ending was fine. Your theory about it is about he same as mine.

Also saw Maleficent on Saturday. Another solid film overall. Considering how the film goes its a bit weird how much they built up the villain aspect in the trailers.

• Like 1

Another Netflix documentary:

Barbershop Punk - Documentary on net neutrality focusing on the story of Robb Topolski, a software quality engineer who conclusively busted Comcast's practice of throttling and degrading the performance of P2P applications.  They do an excellent job of covering the downsides of net neutrality while also giving voice to the pro-ISP side of things.  Lots of folks heard from and this is generally well-done.  However, the movie is hurt when it kind of goes off the rails and starts talking about police squads turning into the military.  That's a worthy topic, one with a LOT of merit, but has no place in this movie.  Movie is also hurt by its release date since the topic is still evolving really quickly and stuff has changed since the movie was finished.  8/10.

And then:

Killing Mrs. Tingle - Saw the name Katie Holmes somewhere and thought "Hey, what movies does she have on Netflix" and this one came up.  Decided to watch it for some reason.  20 minutes in, I was in awe of its suckiness, complete with the entire gamut of Katie Holmes mannerisms that can be really annoying.  Anyway, didn't bother finishing it.  No rating...but this movie sucks.

I saw the movie yesterday, and dug it a good deal overall. I thought the ending was fine. Your theory about it is about he same as mine.

Also saw Maleficent on Saturday. Another solid film overall. Considering how the film goes its a bit weird how much they built up the villain aspect in the trailers.

I feel vindicated. Some redditor more obsessed about the movie than me point out the same regarding the day resetting. I do feel that the movie could have better explained that because if you weren't paying attention then you would have missed it. I also thought the movie could have been a wee bit longer because the stuff at the end, at least the build up to it, was really rushed.

Just got out of Edge of Tomorrow and it was decent. The action was pretty good and the Mimic designs were better than the manga adaptation, though it made it difficult to watch during fights because there's too much moving shit. Kinda hated that they didn't explain why Rita carries a melee weapon instead of relying on firearms. The hoops the movie jumped through to put Cage in the situation where he was on the front lines was pretty goofy.

All in all, it's not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Had no idea that was Bill Paxton until after the movie. I loved it all except for the ending.

You didn't instantly recognize the goofy over-the-top Southern accent in the trailer? He is also insanely over-the-top in 2 Guns as the villain. Easily the best part of that mediocre mess of a movie.

• Like 1

Teaching Mrs. Tingle - Saw the name Katie Holmes somewhere and thought "Hey, what movies does she have on Netflix" and this one came up.  Decided to watch it for some reason.  20 minutes in, I was in awe of its suckiness, complete with the entire gamut of Katie Holmes mannerisms that can be really annoying.  Anyway, didn't bother finishing it.  No rating...but this movie sucks.

That very much fell in the category of '90s/early 00s teen movie. Barring a few exceptions, the late '90s/early 2000s was not a great decade.

• Like 1

Cutthroat Island was pretty bananers.  Just stunt after stunt after stunt followed by big explosion.  Was

Dawg's pirate ship blowing up

the greatest on-screen explosion in history?  I'm leaning that way, but am open to suggestions, this could be a thread really, but I don't have the energy to start it.

I Wish Oh my God this is just the most perfect, wonderful, sad, sweet and just genuinely warm-hearted movie I've seen in sooooooo long.  A family in modern Japan is separated when the two young boys choose to live with separate parents in separate cities. The older brother hears a story that if you watch the trains pass each other and make a wish the wish will come true, so he enlists his friends and his brother to meet up and do this where he plans to wish for the local smoking volcano to erupt and destroy the town so that his mother and grandparents and himself will have no choice but to move back in with his father and brother.  This is a Hirokazu Koreeda movie so if you're hoping for magic, you're not going to get it, but it's just a wonderful leisurely-paced film about families, growing up and choices we make.  So good.

Oh shit. The Pax is in 2 Guns? I need to see that right now.

Oh, Dear Lord, he is all kinds of South Carolina CIA douchebag awesome in that movie.

Edge of Tomorrow was surprisingly loyal to the novelette.  Not perfect. but not horrible either and well worth the matinee movie price.

More Netflix nonsense:

A Gentleman's Game - Stuff like this is why I love Netflix.  This is a movie I've never heard of and would never have paid to see in the theater.  But it's on Netflix, it's "free" so I check it out.  Story revolves on the maturing of young golfer Timmy Price, the son of a rather rigid father who loves golf.  Dad has Timmy become a caddy at their country club so he can learn some lessons about work and Timmy takes up the game, only to discover he's really, really good.  Netflix does viewers a disservice by leading you to believe that the movie is about the relationship Timmy has with a wayward former golfer and instructor played by Gary Sinise.  It's not.  Sinise is on-screen less than 5 minutes total.  In the end, however, the movie ends up falling short of its promise.  There's unnecessary stuff thrown in - a molestation angle that seems way out of place and a very forced "Racist old white guy yells at a black employee!" scene there to show that Timmy's dad will stand up for himself unlike what we'd seen before.  The point is needed, the scene is just badly done.  Anyway, this is a decent little movie but could have been a lot more.  6/10.

Computer Chess - And then there's this one.  This is a mockumentary about a computer chess tournament and it's set in 1980.  You've got a cast of characters about like what you'd expect - lots of nerdy guys and then the commentator for the whole thing, who will play the winning chess computer.  The movie is seemingly one random scene after another with "real" dialogue that just ends up being nothing.  There's an awkward scene with a middle-aged couple trying to seduce one of the nerds, there's an awkward scene of some kind of "spiritualist" group doing a "re-birthing" exercise and so on.  It's pretty obvious that the filmmakers are in love with themselves and think all these scenes are just hilarious and.....they're just not.  They go for the "look how clever we are, we filmed it all in black & white!" thing because, ya know, nobody had color movie cameras in 1980.  Bottom line: I *AM* the target audience for this movie.  I get all the techno babble 1980 stuff they did.  I wrote code to play chess games and so on.  I get it.  But this movie sucks.  1/10.

Sometimes you forget about The Wild Bunch. Then you watch it again and realize it says more about pride (bad), honor (good), bad luck (plenty), a better world (hopefully), and the reality that people that do horrible things can be philosophical and likeable at the same time and it makes you awe at the human race, our fallibility, our potential. Specifically at how Sam Peckinpah was exactly that and then you read your own story into that and it wrecks you. Best fucking movie.

I finally got around to watching Goon and it was astonishingly good. I didn't expect it to anywhere near as good as it was. I expected a stupid sports movie but it was a lot more than that. Excellent film, highly recommended if you like hockey.