DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Bieber has plenty of talent, he just doesn't use it and why would he..  The bullshit he puts out is the bullshit that sells. Blame dumb America. But back to what I was saying, I think it's ridiculous that he gets a pass for racist jokes while Jonah Hill is crucified for using the "f-word" in a way where I can completely understand... not condone but when I was younger the "f-word" had absolutely nothing to even do with sexual orientation. It was like calling someone a bitch or an idiot, etc.  I can understand that it is hurtful and people should not say it but maybe Jonah should be given a break seeing as he was not actually using it as a gay slur against a gay person.

Firstly, regardless of your personal intention, the word gained its derogatory power through the oppression of homosexuals. You can't really take that away from it. Now you may personally not have negative feelings towards gay men, and neither may he, but that word has a very specific inference that will always be there, and it's difficult to argue that he "didn't mean it like that" when he prefaced it by telling the fella in question to "suck his dick."

Secondly, it doesn't matter if he's using it against a gay person at all.

Also, I really don't care so much about this. I think people should be allowed to say whatever they want. I also think other people can call them on their shit, and that people can apologize for being stupid and move the fuck on. 

Firstly, regardless of your personal intention, the word gained its derogatory power through the oppression of homosexuals. You can't really take that away from it. Now you may personally not have negative feelings towards gay men, and neither may he, but that word has a very specific inference that will always be there, and it's difficult to argue that he "didn't mean it like that" when he prefaced it by telling the fella in question to "suck his dick."

So you see every use of the word as the same punishable offense but I do not. He shouldn't have said it but in my view him saying it how he did and in that context is not as bad as saying it to a homosexual. If I thought he actually had hate in his heart for the gay community I'd have a different outlook.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow . Good movie with some nice laughs and you get to see Emily Blunt do a really hot body bend. Over and over and over. The ending, however, didn't seem to make sense. Otherwise, good stuff. 7.5/10.

So you see every use of the word as the same punishable offense but I do not.

No, I don't think anyone should get punished for a word. I think a "Hey, chill the fuck out on that" is good enough.

The "f-word" 2.0 is the n-word for gay people.

Yup, despite it being a false equivalency.

Actually, I was making a point that the argument that "fa---t" is a catch-all insult (instead of a gay-specific slur) is akin to those who think that there exists such a thing as "white ni---rs," as I've heard mentioned by people IRL. In the 21st century.

Guys. I was really really hoping you'd want to talk about how awesome Trail of Blood looked. I think it's more important than Jonah Hill's entire existence.

Gotcha. To be fair though, I get what Niners is saying: a lot of people in their 20s and 30s who used it as a schoolyard insult weren't using it to call the person a homosexual, but a loser, bitch, etc. The problem is that the reason it became the go-to word for those types of insults was its prior usage as a demeaning word for homosexuals.

RE: Jonah, his apology tour is absurd because this is the same guy who's idea was to be posessed by the devil via assfucking of a 12 inch demon cock. I don't think anyone could seriously argue that Hill has any ounce of homophobia in his body, which makes his pleading all the more unnecessary.

Guys. I was really really hoping you'd want to talk about how awesome Trail of Blood looked. I think it's more important than Jonah Hill's entire existence.

TRAIL OF BLOOD never grabbed me like LONE WILD AND CUB or Hideo Gosha's films. Have you seen the rest of the series?

Also, make sure to watch some Hideo Gosha, like GOYOKIN or HITOKIRI or BANDITS VS SAMURAI SQUADRON. Dude's amazing.

Ransom: I've always thought this film was hugely under-rated. It's so good and full of tension, and probably Gibson's best performance (he should have been nominated for an Oscar). I'd forgotten how well Gary Sinise could play creepy. Really gets you asking "Well, what would you do?" Easily one of Ron Howard's best films.

Ransom: I've always thought this film was hugely under-rated. It's so good and full of tension, and probably Gibson's best performance (he should have been nominated for an Oscar). I'd forgotten how well Gary Sinise could play creepy. Really gets you asking "Well, what would you do?" Easily one of Ron Howard's best films.

Give Me Back My Son!

Edit: it appears the great Lebatard "give me back my son" montage is not on youtube.

I'm a big 'Sixteen Candles' fan, and also a 'Breakfast Club' fan but for some reason had never really watched 'Pretty in Pink' so I finally rectified that today.  It's actually pretty great.  I love the whole poor girl/rich guy romance and thought the Ducky storyline was especially punishing and beautifully handled.  I think it might be the best John Hughes high-school movie of them all (Which is pretty major from me, as I think I had 'Sixteen Candles' in my Top 20 or so the last time we did an 80s poll) which is interesting because Hughes actually didn't like the ending of this one

Originally he had Andi and Ducky getting together in the end which would have been totally wrong, I feel, because it would have been like a consolation prize: "Well, the rich guy dumped you, but you've always got your shitty poor silver medal friend!" (I actually didn't think Ducky was particularly likeable, in all honesty) but the studio and test audiences didn't like it, so they re-shot it with Andy getting together with Blane.

I enjoyed Andrew 'Dice' Clay in a tiny role, Harry Dean Stanton in his small role and thought James Spader pretty much stole the movie with his totally unlikeable sleazy yuppie high school character.  Plus, it has a theme song by The Psychedelic Furs, what more can you ask for?