DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

The overlap between Empire Readers, the majority of IMDB users, and Flickchart users is pretty huge I see.

Also...I still like Prometheus but, if you have that in your Top 5 EVER - you should probably watch it like once more.

• Like 2

The overlap between Empire Readers, the majority of IMDB users, and Flickchart users is pretty huge I see.

Also...I still like Prometheus but, if you have that in your Top 5 EVER - you should probably watch it like once more.

annnnd thanks for reminding me flickchart exists

*does nothing useful for the rest of the day*

I'm with you. I like Prometheus, but that is fucking dumb to put that in your top 5 ever. Fucking. Dumb.

Vertigo continually beating Psycho on these lists makes me a sad panda.

I'm not saying Vertigo isn't good, but a melodramatic plot and an unintentionally hilarious ending really knocks it down a few pegs in my book.

• Like 1

It's not my favourite film ever, but I've never had a problem with The Shawshank Redemption topping these lists or coming near the top. I still mark out whenever the warden pulls back the poster and sees the giant hole in the wall.

All the superhero films on there is kinda sad. Yeah, Iron Man 3 was a decent flick but no way people are still going to be talking about it in 20 years.

Weirdly, I think many of the Blade Runner rip offs (Dark City springs to mind) are actually better than Blade Runner.

Another example of why lists are stupid and just empty calories and clicks.

At the expense of this wisdom ... would a decent cross-section of you guys give me a best-to-worst (yes opinions matter) of the Wes Anderson films?  I like Rushmore & Royal Tenanbaums, but the rest have the sheen of people voting that dude's films high, even if they're total shit.  In particular, I'm interested in where Life Aquatic ranks ...

There's nothing wrong with the movie, but a film in that 7/10-8/10 range shouldn't be topping lists on the regular.

Opinions of an intoxicated non-squeezable.  Your words are meaningless!  Neener and pffffft. :lol:

But really, it's all conjecture.  Most people haven't watched enough movies to have a truly informed thought on stuff like this.

God damn Shawshank is overrated as fuck and fucking fuck.

According to this list Serenity is the 90th best movie of all time.

That's probably one of the biggest WTFs on there.

God damn Shawshank is overrated as fuck and fucking fuck.

According to this list Serenity is the 90th best movie of all time.

That's probably one of the biggest WTFs on there.

I think having two of the Star Wars movies in the top 6 is a pretty big WTF right off the jump.  And both of them 140+ spots higher than Toy Story 3?  Uh, no.

At the expense of this wisdom ... would a decent cross-section of you guys give me a best-to-worst (yes opinions matter) of the Wes Anderson films?  I like Rushmore & Royal Tenanbaums, but the rest have the sheen of people voting that dude's films high, even if they're total shit.  In particular, I'm interested in where Life Aquatic ranks ...

Haven't seen Grand Budapest yet but

01. Rushmore.

02. The Royal Tenenbaums

03. Fantastic Mr. Fox

04. Moonrise Kingdom

05. The Life Aquatic

06. Bottle Rocket

07. Darjeeling Limited

I think 'Rushmore' will never be topped, personally.  Since RT, I find the sillier/zanier Anderson is willing to go without trying to go for pathos, the more succesful he is.  'Darjeeling' felt way too much like somebody trying to show be an "important" movie and had some pretty bad, drama-class symbolism ("They dropped their luggage to catch the train! Get it? They're leaving behind their actual baggage and their metaphorical baggage to move ahead!? Get it?!!?  GET IT?!") whereas 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' was just straight-up silly and enjoyable and 'Moonrise...' was pretty darn silly and slight, too.

I'm actually planning on going back through and watching all of these because my sister bought me a massive Wes Anderson book for Christmas and I'd like to read it while the movies are fresh in my mind.

This is actually something I spend way too much time thinking about:

1. Rushmore

2. The Fantastic Mr Fox

3. The Life Aquatic

4. Moonrise Kingdom

5. Royal Tenenbaums

6. Grand Budapest Hotel

7. Darjeeling Limited

8. Bottle Rocket

I really didn't like Life Aquatic when I first saw it, but it's really grown on me as I've gotten older. Which I guess makes sense as it's about getting old.

I'm actually planning on going back through and watching all of these because my sister bought me a massive Wes Anderson book for Christmas and I'd like to read it while the movies are fresh in my mind.

I got that for my birthday; it's fantastic.

• Like 1