DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I really liked The World's End, but I think the fact that it wasn't a pure genre parody comedy threw a lot of people off.  It was more just a straight up body snatcher movie that happens to have some (imo very funny) jokes spread through it.

For a Pegg/Frost comedy it was a disappointment, but by normal standards it wasn't bad. A solid three star affair, but when Shaun and Hot fuzz are four or five stars, there was some let down. . . 

I think I might actually prefer it to Hot Fuzz, although I'd need to rewatch both to make that a definitive statement.

Really, I should rewatch all 4 of Wright's movies just because they are awesome.

I only saw it(worlds end) the once, and it probably gets better on a reviewing. . .

Nice to hear good things about the two Herzog documentaries. I've got both in my Netflix queue and have been thinking of watching them.

Another Netflix documentary:

Dear Mr. Watterson - Here's a fabulous idea for a movie.  Take a book - a not particularly well-received book - written by somebody else and then copy that book, only in movie form.  Be nice about it, though, so you can get the author of the book to participate in your movie.  And that's what we have here as Joel Allen Schroeder copies the book Looking for Calvin & Hobbes by going to Bill Watterson's hometown and interviewing lots of people about him and his comics.  While there's some useful information here (though not much), in the end we don't learn much.  Watterson, as always, didn't participate, so we don't get anything from him.  So we're left with a bunch of cartoonists talking about how awesome C&H was, mixed in with a visit to the library at Ohio State where almost all of Watterson's original artwork is stored.  Whoop dee doo.  3/10.

I haven't seen it but I've heard good things about another doc called Stripped.  It's about newspaper strips in general but they actually got an audio interview with Watterson for it.

I really liked The World's End, but I think the fact that it wasn't a pure genre parody comedy threw a lot of people off. It was more just a straight up body snatcher movie that happens to have some (imo very funny) jokes spread through it.

For a Pegg/Frost comedy it was a disappointment, but by normal standards it wasn't bad. A solid three star affair, but when Shaun and Hot fuzz are four or five stars, there was some let down. . .

I think I might actually prefer it to Hot Fuzz, although I'd need to rewatch both to make that a definitive statement.

Really, I should rewatch all 4 of Wright's movies just because they are awesome.

The World's End has a different tone to it. I liked the film but its the weakest of the trilogy. Shaun of the Dead is the best film from it. Edgar Wright hasn't made a bad film. I'm particularly fond of the aformentioned Shuan of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Heard that's supposed to be really good. 

I don't remember if I wrote it up here or not (probably have) but Blue Ruin, out in theaters now, was awesome. It's the story of a vagrant who gets picked up and informed by a police officer that the man that killed his brother is out of jail. Dude immediately tracks him down and murders him, but that pokes the bee's nest of the killer's clan who immediately come looking for him. He shaves and cuts his hair which makes him look like a totally different person then shacks up with a lady friend from years before. This is stark and gripping stuff with solid doses of black humor. An appearance from his death metal buddy who happens to be a gun hoarder is especially hilarious. Highly recommended.

Also want to agree with the props given to Lord of War here earlier. That was a hell of a film and a performance from Cage, who reined it in perfectly. What a wild story... which was true!

I'm watching The Last Samurai on AMC. Someone needs to make a thread about the most egregious/flagrant attempts to get an Oscar by a single actor/actress in a movie because Tom Cruise's performance here would certainly fit that category. Just overacting for the sake of overacting. You know Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada were like, "this fucking guy here" and sighing between takes. They had to be. He is on a totally different page than everyone else.

The Boys of Summer was pretty incredible.  Nick Offerman was just off-the-charts good in every scene.  Someone needs to make a movie about his character going from day-to-day getting annoyed by things and telling people off.

I'm watching The Last Samurai on AMC. Someone needs to make a thread about the most egregious/flagrant attempts to get an Oscar by a single actor/actress in a movie because Tom Cruise's performance here would certainly fit that category. Just overacting for the sake of overacting. You know Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada were like, "this fucking guy here" and sighing between takes. They had to be. He is on a totally different page than everyone else.

And yet I still shamelessly love that movie. It can't be helped.

• Like 3

Reading Fiasco: The Most Iconic Flops in Hollywood History. Highlights include John Travolta telling a scriptwriter he thought Battlefield Earth was the 'Schindler's List of sci-fi' and Jean Seberg's husband finding out she was having an affair with Clint Eastwood on the set of Paint Your Wagon and literally challenging him to a duel (Clint talked his way out of it.)  Kevin Coster comes off as totally deluded and power-mad, even by Hollywood standards.

Also, I don't care if the critics hated it and it lost a ton of money, I will go to my grave knowing Last Action Hero is great.

Is anything on earth more fun than watching Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen chew the scenery (literally eating people and things)  in NEAR DARK.  And then throw in Joshua John Miller, who went from presumably having his face melted by a Silver Shamrock mask at the end of HALLOWEEN III  to playing two of the meanest little pychopath kids of the late 80s Keanu Reeves sociopathic little brother in RIVERS EDGE and then immediately into Homer, the twisted bitter little boy vampire here in NEAR DARK.

Oh, and why don't we throw in hot Eileen from grossly underrated THE WILD LIFE, and Oh I don't know TIM MOTHERFUCKING THOMERSON!!!!! and Blonde ALIENS-Vasquez and Ohhhhh, it's directed by Katherine Bigelow, now it makes sense...Jesus, were Vasquez and Hicks like swinging partners with her and Jim Cameron?  And Henriksen, I assume they were all hot-tubbing together and then Thomerson would show up and just scare the crap out of everyone.

Oh, shit Troy Evans!!!!!  That's two nights in a row to bump into him!

• Like 1

Reading Fiasco: The Most Iconic Flops in Hollywood History. Highlights include John Travolta telling a scriptwriter he thought Battlefield Earth was the 'Schindler's List of sci-fi'

PLEASE tell me that's a direct quote.

The end of this movie is an utter mess.  Nothing makes sense.  Katherine Bigelow is kind of a joke at this point.

The truck exploding?  The truck somehow not stopping and jackknifing until after Caleb jumps free?

How did Lance Henriksen and Caleb's sister get so far away from Caleb when they were running through the desert?  What terrible editing.

River's Edge kid blowing up was early Peter Jackson-level hilarious.

Still...as angsty 80s vampire fests go, it's passable up to that point.  The music is terrible, though.  An 80s vampire movie with shite music is inexcusable.  It's just that the bar was so high.  It gets credit though, for prefiguring the early 90s Southwest noire look by a few years.

I give it a 7.204 on the Tabedoza meter. 

Reading Fiasco: The Most Iconic Flops in Hollywood History. Highlights include John Travolta telling a scriptwriter he thought Battlefield Earth was the 'Schindler's List of sci-fi'

PLEASE tell me that's a direct quote.

Yup. He said that was what Travolta said to him when filming wrapped up.

It does seem a bit unfair to include Waterworld since it did make its money back..and it didn't take decades like in the case of Cleopatra, which the writer even admits to. I can even see it getting rebooted one day when some Hollywood exec runs out of ideas.

It happens. Desperate people can delude themselves.

Michael Cimino is still adamant that Heaven's Gate is a classic. Costner defends The Postman vociferously in the book too.

Verhoeven is interesting. He doesn't disown Showgirls, or claim it's the best film ever, but he seems to feel people missed the point of it and thinks it has a lot to say about American culture and whatnot. 

Showgirls is an incredibly subtle parody.  Too subtle for it's own good, because nobody realized it was until Starship Troopers came out and people realized what Verhoeven was doing.  And even that one is an uphill battle.

To be fair, neither Heaven's Gate nor The Postman were based on the star's/director's semi-canon book of faith. Should be more honest self-criticism there.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true about THE POSTMAN, if you could really get in Costner's head. 

• Like 1

Showgirls is an incredibly subtle parody.  Too subtle for it's own good, because nobody realized it was until Starship Troopers came out and people realized what Verhoeven was doing.  And even that one is an uphill battle.

Eh, I don't quite buy it was a parody. That seems a bit too much of a cop out and other people have used it before. ("Hey, it was meant to be bad!"). From what's written about the production, he was putting a ton of effort into it and genuinely thought it would be good.

I think maybe it was meant to be something like Wolf of Wall Street or Goodfellas where you're having a glimpse into the ridiculous lives of these truly awful people and the whole thing is a total dig at American values, the human psych, etc. But due to some shitty acting and a laughably bad script, Verhoeven didn't have a chance at pulling it off.

To be fair, neither Heaven's Gate nor The Postman were based on the star's/director's semi-canon book of faith. Should be more honest self-criticism there.

Neither was Battlefield: Earth, which I liked enough as a book to read twice in a summer.