DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Oooooh.  Don't say that first part.  I'm glad you fixed it.  I hate that.  People used to say that about CROUCHING TIGER.  That it "transcends martial arts films." rather than just saying "It's a good martial arts film."...like, by definition there is no such thing as a good martial arts film, so if there is one you like it is because if "transcends the genre."

So much pissed off.

The hunter who off'd Bambi's mom. Maybe he didn't even like hunting but his dad pressured him into it.

"THERE'S YOU'RE GODDAMN DEER, DAD! ARE YOU HAPPY? NOW I'M GONNA GO DO WHAT I WANT TO DO!"

And that young lad went on to become Harvey Littleton.

• Like 1

Do you have any proof that his ill temperment wasn't the result of abuse via the hands of Coggsworth?

It just uncanny that Coggsworth became a clock? I mean, shit, who did you turn into the clothes basket, Ol' Mr. Hamper?

• Like 1

Whoa. What a reference. I am missing the connection. Please tell me there's a connection while I google "Harvey littleton father hunting".

Random. Simply random. I imagine Littleton filling secret rooms with blown glass deer statuettes, then crying in a fetal position.

You fool!  You rumor-spreading fool.  I found this in my google search, which contradicts your whole premise.

MR. LITTLETON:

Well, perhaps my father influenced my brothers and myself more with the hunting and fishing and the outdoor life than he did with anything else. Though, our table always revolved around glass talk. He could never go in a restaurant. If you remember my seminar – we used to go have coffee.

MS. BYRD: Yes.

MR. LITTLETON: And, I would describe how the shapes of the glass ashtrays weren't very good and where the problems were. Among the interesting jobs they found that the Coke bottle was the strongest shape that had been made in glass. You know, we used to – in the '30s and even into the '50s, they reused Coke bottles. And they would get pretty beaten up. And milk bottles, too, and so on. So we would discuss all of those things.

HE LOVED HIS DAD!!!!!

The answer, as always, is Wicked, goddammit. Fucking, Wicked. Just make Wicked for fucks sake. Christ all mighty...

Its in Preproduction, in that they're still casting most of it. Only lock I'm aware of is Idina Menzel's mini-me playing Elfaba of course.

Legitimately haven't heard a crowd enjoy a movie as much as 22 Jump. Tatum is amazing.

Everyone in my theater was dying over Ice Cube's part mid way through the movie.

You know what I finally saw this week?

Zoolander was one of those movies that I'd catch maybe 2-3 minutes here and there, and have it endlessly quoted at me, but somehow I'd never seen.  It was all right.  The funniest part of the movie is probably the adlibbed part where Zoolander asks David Duchovny why male models would be used in an assassination and he explains it, then Zoolander asks again (Because apparently Stiller forgot his line so he just went back to the last line) and Duchovny just rolls with it and goes "What? Seriously? I just explained this."  Anyways, this movie is pretty much stolen by Jerry Stiller, right?  I assume that's one of the talking points.  Am I wrong?

Alan Partridge was perfect.  After reading the synopsis "Alan Partridge is involved when a disgruntled co-worker takes the station hostage" and thought "That's way too big, and too much action for an Alan Partridge affair" but it turns out Partridge is really funny reacting to major crises.  I loved it.

Thor: The Dark World was okay.  Chris Hemsworth is pretty damn dashing.  I didn't really get the point of The Dark Elf, like why he wanted to destroy the universe apart from the fact that the plot dictates he has to (Reading an IMDB page and it says that earlier drafts focused more on the Dark Elf but that they rewrote the script to add more Loki because that was what the fans wanted) and why anyone should be afraid of an elf?  What's funny about the Thor series is I really like the Thor character as portrayed by Hemsworth.  I don't give much of a shit about Asgard or his Asgardian pals, but I care even less about his human entourage (Even Natalie Portman and Stellan Skarsgard, whom I normally like) can all just eff right off.

Oddly after seeing Thor: The Dark World I thought it actually needed MORE Loki. The first 45 minutes to an hour is pretty blah but then it picks up considerably. It wasn't nearly as good as the first film though.

So I randomly watched The Mighty Ducks on HBOGo yesterday at work(despite having the DVD), and noticed something odd.  It took me a moment to notice it, but HBO removed all of the Queen music from the movie.  So during that awesome Charlie Conway moment, there was no "We Are the Champions".  Makes me glad I still have my dvd's.

Mugatu is by far the best thing about Zoolander, maybe the greatest character ever. EVER. From "Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique" to the "Who care's about Derek Zoolander Anyway?!" monologue, he's golden.

• Like 1

Was flipping around yesterday and settled on BACK TO THE FUTURE on Retroplex and discovered via comparison to a prior recording that BTTF was shot full frame and matted down to widescreen. Also, when trying to find the scene to compare, I realized that it take over 1/2 its running time to get Marty to the fifties and set up the main plot. Were it released today, a lot of self-professed "film fans" would complain about the slow build.

• Like 1

Regarding Zoolander, there's also the absurd gasoline fight, Mugatu, etc.

I really dug the gasoline thing today, I was watching that and laughing thinking it would be funny if someone lit them on fire.  And then they did, it's one of only two times I've felt like a movie has read my mind and provided what I wanted (Like the time I was watching 'Black Gunn' and Jim Brown was confronting this guy in a bowling alley and I went "Man, I wish he would pick that guy up and bowl him" and then he did!).

I liked Mugatu but there were long stretches where he wasn't on.  Apparently, Will Ferrell was the second choice when Andy Dick couldn't make it.  I can't imagine how insufferable it would likely be with Dick (And I LOVE Andy Dick's NewsRadio run).