DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

If the Hook and Lateral and the Clock Play aren't 1-2, there is no God.

Although has any franchise been involved in more memorable plays than the Raiders, or are they just involved in the most plays with cool names?

Some of the newer or more pathetic franchises have some very limited selections to choose from.

NFL's Most Memorable Plays

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls/_/category/5436/nfl-most-memorable-plays

Cleveland's first two options are from 1950 and 1964. The last option is The Fumble in 1987.

Buffalo's three options are Wide Right, the Music City Miracle, and Beebe running down Lett in the Super Bowl. It's sad when the only positive play was a hustle on a fumble return when they were already getting blown out. 

Detroit's include Dan Orlovsky running out of the back of the end zone.

Considering that the Norwood miss is used in ANY football movie, it probably wins. The most memorable game is the comeback, but there's no real single moment that stands out. . .

So apparently the Saints are moving their preseason practices to West Virginia

So depending on where you live in VA - you will be much closer to the Saints preseason than the Skins

Going to be at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs near Covington.  As a Saints fan I am excited, minicamp is only 2 hours away.

Some of the newer or more pathetic franchises have some very limited selections to choose from.

NFL's Most Memorable Plays

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls/_/category/5436/nfl-most-memorable-plays

Cleveland's first two options are from 1950 and 1964. The last option is The Fumble in 1987.

Buffalo's three options are Wide Right, the Music City Miracle, and Beebe running down Lett in the Super Bowl. It's sad when the only positive play was a hustle on a fumble return when they were already getting blown out. 

Detroit's include Dan Orlovsky running out of the back of the end zone.

Considering that the Norwood miss is used in ANY football movie, it probably wins. The most memorable game is the comeback, but there's no real single moment that stands out. . .

Reed's third TD to give them the lead, Odoms' pick in OT, Christie's game winning FG. Could also throw Reed's 2nd TD on 4th down and the suicide onside recovery by Christie.

Other memorable Bills plays:

Bruce Smith knocking Montana out of the 93 AFC title game.

Steve Tasker getting ejected after the opening kickoff in his final game.

Doug Flutie's last second TD to upset the then undefeated Jags, kicking off FlutieMania and leading a charge to the playoffs after an 0-3 start.

Going really old school: Mike Stratton breaking Keith Lincoln's ribs to turn the tide in the 64 AFL title game.

There are memorable plays. ESPN is just lazy.

Also: Kelly's last second dive to win at Miami in 1988. Andre Reed breaking 9 tackles en route to a TD against the Pats in the 1993 opener.

Really though, the Stratton hit should have been on that list.

Tanard Jackson is pretty much the stupidest person ever

Washington Redskins safety Tanard Jackson has once again been suspended indefinitely by the NFL for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.

The team issued a statement from an NFL spokesperson announcing the news Wednesday afternoon.
Jackson in May received reinstatement from the league after he missed the past two seasons while serving an indefinite suspension as a repeat offender, as in 2012 he failed multiple tests for marijuana use.
Jackson signed with Washington in 2012 but never played a game because of his drug suspension. He has played five NFL seasons, all with the Buccaneers. While with Tampa in 2010, Jackson was suspended indefinitely for violating the substance-abuse policy and missed all but two games that season. He also missed six games in 2011. In 2009, he was suspended for drug use and missed four games.

That's right - he lasted a whooping two months in between indefinite suspensions

The thing that always gets me is why are there so many knee injuries in offseason training. I'm assuming this is all non-contact non-team stuff, and I just don't get it. The numbers seem disproportionally high compared to all other sports in the offseason.

I suspect football players do a lot more side and direction change drills than other sports except maybe basketball.  Combine that with the extra size of football players, the fact that they practice/train on grass/turf and not a court, and you get knee injuries.  

The real blame is the lack of concussions. The more concussions you have, the stronger your knees get. This is just accepted science, in this crazy world I live in.

The real blame is the lack of concussions. The more concussions you have, the stronger your knees get. This is just accepted science, in this crazy world I live in.

Well, when your head is ringing, or you're knocked out, you can't feel the pain in your knees, so you're onto something.  #RealScience

I'm putting this here since it specifically relates to football.

In the least shocking news ever - Erin Andrews is replacing Pam Oliver as #1 sideline reporter for FOX. Oliver will be with the #2 team for one season

In fact - per Oliver FOX originally just planned on canning her

“To go from the lead crew to no crew was a little shocking,” Oliver said. “I said I wanted to do a 20th year [on the sidelines]. I expressed to them that I was not done and had something to offer. Again, I think it was predetermined coming in. Not at that meeting, but two years ago it was determined that no matter what I did or did not do, a change would be made for this year.”

• Like 1

Per Schefter:

Jimmy Graham re-ups with the Saints.  4 years, $40 million w/ $21 million guaranteed

Yea that arbitration hearing did him no favors. Not that I disagreed with the ruling but he would have gotten more bank if it had gone a different way.