DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Daunte was elite for a couple years because he was throwing to Moss.  I mean, I suppose it could be a coincidence that his career tanked as soon as Randy left.  Yeah, he also got hurt but he was awful (6 TDs, 12 INTs) in the half year he played after Randy left before getting sidelined.

Same with Randall - he looked like somebody who knew how to throw a football because he was throwing it to Randy & Carter.

I get why people don't like Randy Moss (it wasn't that hard), but he's easily one of the most talented players I have ever seen. Everything looked so easy when he did it.

Sigh.  Except as a Raider.  Not that...ya know...that was Moss's fault.

Stupid football.

Actually, that's not fair.  Moss had 1000 yards his first year as a Raider - with fucking Kerry Collins as the QB.  So yeah...more Moss greatness.

Edited by EdA

When I need to call somebody to take the top off the defense.... I'm calling Randy Moss.

Steve Smith isn't even in my rolodex for such an occasion.

Well, Smith did take the top off the Bears defense that one time...

Moss never produced without an elite QB. Smitty carried Jake Delhomme to a Super Bowl.

Randall Cunningham was elite? WTF.

Randy played with an elite QB for a little over 3 seasons. Those seasons produced his 2nd, 7th, and 9th highest yardage totals. Yeah, he set the TD record one of those years.

In other words, Randy produced in a whole lot of seasons without having an elite QB.

"Moss never produced without an elite QB" might be one of the more factually incorrect statements we've seen on the football boards in awhile.

Daunte was elite for a couple years.

But that said, it was a foolish statement. I can own it even though I do genuinely think there are numerous people I'd rather have then that lazy malcontent.

Not just Rice either. I'd take TO, Irvin, #89 in his prime, Megatron, Cris Carter, all of them over Randy.

Fun fact: Carter never finished in the top five in receiving yards in a given season and in his final six seasons with the Vikings was not even their leader in receiving yards. (Jake Reed; '96-'97, obviously Moss '98-'01.) So as eye-popping as Carter's TD's were you could make the argument he wasn't even the dominant go-to lead receiver on his own team; even before Moss got there.

Daunte was elite for a couple years because he was throwing to Moss.  I mean, I suppose it could be a coincidence that his career tanked as soon as Randy left.  Yeah, he also got hurt but he was awful (6 TDs, 12 INTs) in the half year he played after Randy left before getting sidelined.

Same with Randall - he looked like somebody who knew how to throw a football because he was throwing it to Randy & Carter.

This isn't entirely true. Culpepper had far and away his best year in a season ('04) where Moss was relegated to being a gimp and/or a decoy when he was on the field. Now he was some hell of a gimpy decoy to score 13 TD's but besides that he only finished with 49 receptions for 767 yards.

Anyhow, the worst kind of argument is blaming a superstar for all these great guys he was surrounded by. It's even worse if the guys you're claiming were great weren't even that great or good to begin with. Besides as I already alluded to you could much more make the case that Carter was very privileged to play with a Hall Of Famer in Moon and then at the end of his prime get to be Moss's sidekick.

Fun fact: Carter never finished in the top five in receiving yards in a given season and in his final six seasons with the Vikings was not even their leader in receiving yards. (Jake Reed; '96-'97, obviously Moss '98-'01.) So as eye-popping as Carter's TD's were you could make the argument he wasn't even the dominant go-to lead receiver on his own team; even before Moss got there.

You summed up very succinctly why I have never been sold on Cris Carter as a HOFer.

This isn't entirely true. Culpepper had far and away his best year in a season ('04) where Moss was relegated to being a gimp and/or a decoy when he was on the field. Now he was some hell of a gimpy decoy to score 13 TD's but besides that he only finished with 49 receptions for 767 yards.

A fair point.  I overlooked how little Randy played in 2004 compared to normal.  I will give you 2004 - Culpepper looked like a legit superstar that year.

It could also be pointed out that Culpepper had his best season (runner up for the MVP award) in a season where Moss missed three games, went five weeks without a catch, had his only sub-1,000 yard season as a member of the Vikings, and only had 49 catches during the regular season.

This pretty much explains just how good Culpepper was in 2004. Dude made Nate freaking Burleson into a 1,000-yard receiver.

EDIT: I replied without reading the last page and noticing that this had already been addressed. My apologies. The link is still pretty good reading, though.

WRs I'd take over Randy Moss...

1. Jerry Rice
  2. ...umm...Megatron is pretty good, but I don't know.

So what's the over/under on how long the folks in the media make Moss wait to get into the Hall of Fame? It took Carter six tries. . .I have a funny feeling that Moss is going to have to wait longer.

I will say it's hard to say who you'd take over Moss based strictly on one very key question: Is he motivated at that time? If he is, I'd take him OVER Rice. A motivated Randy Moss was the most devastating weapon I can ever remember seeing in the NFL. The problem was: Will he be motivated. That question knocks him down a few pegs for me on the greatest WR ever list. If the criteria is "WR you'd most want to have to win 1 game", I don't take Moss over Rice, Calvin, or Owens (For all of his headacheness, I never questioned what TO would bring on Sunday), just because the question of "What if Randy Moss: Defense Destroyer doesn't show up?"

I will say it's hard to say who you'd take over Moss based strictly on one very key question: Is he motivated at that time? If he is, I'd take him OVER Rice. A motivated Randy Moss was the most devastating weapon I can ever remember seeing in the NFL. The problem was: Will he be motivated. That question knocks him down a few pegs for me on the greatest WR ever list. If the criteria is "WR you'd most want to have to win 1 game", I don't take Moss over Rice, Calvin, or Owens (For all of his headacheness, I never questioned what TO would bring on Sunday), just because the question of "What if Randy Moss: Defense Destroyer doesn't show up?"

Ding ding ding.