DVDVR Message Board

Been to Target lately? Use plastic?

Brian Fowler

Just a heads up, if you happen to have used a credit card at Target since Black Friday, you might want to take a good look at your statement, and possibly request new cards and such, because apparently up to possibly millions of credit card numbers have been stolen.

Apparently, it's only in the brick and mortar stores, not online, but, hey, we don't need any of you getting screwed out of money.

Suckers.

I get all my household items at a huge discount from a Russian guy I met in an MP3 chat room.  You've got to be smart, people!

That's me. I just say "Da" a lot to fool you.

Besides already being compromised - the other worst part for folks is that those who are getting new cards probably won't have them in time for the holidays.

So it's either gamble that your card isn't used illegally for the next week or hope you have other ways of purchasing your presents (or your food or gas, etc...)

Son of a bitch. I JUST got my new card on the 11th after losing my wallet a couple weeks ago, and yep, I swiped it for a purchase at a Target on the 12th. I'm paid tomorrow, so I can take cash out and live off of that while yet another card gets sent to me, but it's annoying because the new wallet I bought is a trifold, and kind of a pain when it comes to cash.

And then it occurred to me that buying that wallet WAS my purchase at Target.

FML

Our bank cancelled my wife's card in a preventive measure. We go to Target on a weekly basis, it seems like.

Is this a much bigger deal than I'm realizing? I also made purchases from Target during that time period but I have no intention of taking action until something fraudulent actually pops up. Is that ... dumb? Are we really expecting 40 million identity thefts?

Our bank cancelled my wife's card in a preventive measure. We go to Target on a weekly basis, it seems like.

Is this a much bigger deal than I'm realizing? I also made purchases from Target during that time period but I have no intention of taking action until something fraudulent actually pops up. Is that ... dumb? Are we really expecting 40 million identity thefts?

It depends on your bank. Mine freezes my card every time I try to use it out of state, when I'm traveling for work - so some are going to be more vigilant than others.