DVDVR Message Board

Talk Is Jericho

BrianS81177

If Cena press slammed Khali off the stage through a table, that would be an incredible spot.  I need video evidence.  

Wait, this???

He just tosses him off the stage, off camera, onto a giant foam mattress.  Which is usually how WWE does those spots these days.  About 10% similar.

• Like 1

Him saying they were stiffing the crap out of ryback, ("we were pasting guys") makes me wonder if ryback was a bit stiffer with punk because word got back to him that he told the shield to be tough on everyone.

I thought he said that Punk told them to specifically lay it in on Ryback during their debut, because he speculated that maybe someone might have gotten in Ryback's ear and maybe told him not to sell for these three new guys. Not that there was any proof of this so called "ear getting into" scenario.

Funny he didnt respond to the steroids allegation.

Why would he respond? do you want him to list all the gear he's on or something? It's redundant and I'm glad Jericho didn't venture into dissecting everything Punk said about Ryback and questioning him on it.

I want to know how he beats the system. 

Going back to Paul Stanley interview, I thought it was pretty damn good.  I'm not a KISS fan, and didn't have much interest in hearing Paul knowing he can be a diva.  But he sounded like a solid enough guy, and it was a pretty fun listen.  If only the KISS Demon was brought up, I can only imagine what he'd say about that.  But still, fun episode.

And Ryback seemed like a good enough guy, appreciate his dedication to wrestling.  I didn't realize how much he loves it, as I assumed he was some guy they found who knew nothing about it.  Good for him.  Regarding the Punk part I appreciated him taking the high road.  He could have gone down that "Fuck this guy" road, but didn't.  I also think he was told by WWE to not go down that road either, so maybe there is more to this than he could say.  Assuming there isn't, both sides of the story are different.  So the truth in all of this is likely somewhere in the middle.

Again, it wasn't just Punk. Before the program with Punk, where Ryback was doing fuck all against jobbers, he was in that role because very few wanted to work with him...

That's not true though.  That came from Meltzer thinking out loud that Ryback working jobbers must mean he's too dangerous for the main roster guys which is ludicrous for a lot of different reasons.  Plus, he was clearly being built up every week by increasing the amount of jobbers per match before he moved on to Jinder Mahal.

If he actually hurt any of the job guys (which I don't recall hearing about) the amount of whining would've been plentiful a la AJ Styles' Phenomenal Neckbreak Tour '14.

When Jericho and Ryback were talking about how he came up with the name Ryback, and Ryback said he used to be called Silverback, and then said they gave that name to Mark Henry for awhile, did Jericho really say "Yeah, you'd think that Silverback would be a black guy"

Funny he didnt respond to the steroids allegation.

Why would he respond? do you want him to list all the gear he's on or something? It's redundant and I'm glad Jericho didn't venture into dissecting everything Punk said about Ryback and questioning him on it.

I want to know how he beats the system. 

HGH only turns up in blood tests, which I'm not sure they do. Plus, how random is the testing? For example, my work foolishly randomly tests every three months, so if you know when a test is held (and co-workers will talk), then you know when they're gonna test again and can plan accordingly. I think that's how the smart UFC guys do it, though they may have random testing in UFC by now.

I'm high on life right now, but I would really like to go to Colorado the day after a drug test and get some of that bubble gum-flavored weed or some sour kush diesel diggity dank all the kids are smoking these days. When I smoked weed, there was "weed," not Purple Nurple and Sherry Berry Chocolate. Back when I drank, there was pretty much Budweiser and Michelob Light, not amber pale ale bock stout honey porters and all that crap. I probably would've drank a pumpkin-flavored beer or two back in my day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hulk Hogan on Talk is Jericho, part 1

Hulk Hogan was on all the talk shows, except David Letterman. Because he threatened to beat up Letterman in the mid-80s.

Hulk Hogan got the WWE network for free and ran his phone down watching his stuff. Then he said he was an awesome heel in the NWO.

Dick Ebersol talk. Hogan casually doing a Vince and Macho Man voice. Then he talked about a botch involving the Hogan/Savage-Towers Main Event.

Brandon Tartikoff namedrop. Namedrops of Gorilla Monsoon, Arnold Skaaland, George Napolitano and Bill Apter about the Rocky part.

The Vince Sr firing Hogan story we know of. Plus Hogan had a gorgeous girl in Japan in the 80s.

Jim Barnett impersonation.

Claimed to work 13 matches a week for Jim Barnett in Atlanta.

Hulk Hogan was in a cover band that played Aerosmith and Tower of Power.

Obligatory "Matsuda broke my leg" story

They didn't stretch Paul Orndorff and Brian Blair.

Assorted training drama

Verne Gagne told Hulk Hogan to start hulking up first

"If I had 3 days off, i'd go to Japan" - ok.

"I was the first guy to do any merchandising" - on selling his own t-shirts

He got into a fight with Verne because they didn't give him any money for the t-shirts they were selling

Verne Gagne was trying to hook up Hulk Hogan with his daughter, whose face was like Greg Gagne's. The daughter who went on to marry Larry Zbyszko later. Apparently Verne's equivalent to "buy a house here" was "marry my daughter"

The picture of Hogan on the first WWF magazine was taken while he was still in the AWA

Verne was gonna go to the East Coast to go after Vince and Ted Turner was involved

Obligatory "Verne called Iron Sheik to ask him to shoot on Hogan" story

and we end with Hogan's win in 1984. Part 2 is Friday

• Like 1

It's amazing how much of Hulk's career seemed to be shaped by "I had a girl here."  or alternatively "Her face was just like Greg's."

I know there was a lot of bullshit in this but it seemed like there was a lot less because he was talking to another worker who wasn't going to buy into some of the usual stuff. I actually thought it was weirdly humanizing to hear Hogan talk about certain aspects of the early years (like getting pissed on by vets on the side of the road on piss breaks) in a less myth-ridden way. 

The JBL podcast Jericho did last week was one of his better interviews. The Kerry suicide story was haunting and the story about Vamp was awesome. Jericho's been on a good run lately one you skip all his mid life crisis shit.

Yeah, Chris has really zoomed by Austin and the other interviewers. I think it helps that he's still so plugged in to the business and is both relaxed and secure with his place in it. Very different tenure than Ross or Cornette or Colt who generally get very negative or Austin who is really too busy to get interviews or stay up-to-date on things.  

Half-way through the Hulk interview, and yeah...he definitely seems like he's dropping a lot of his usual bullshit. I always had a hunch that Hogan either a) doesn't remember a lot of stuff so he tends to just fill-in-the-blanks or b) he's just fucking with the interviewers and playing "Hulk Hogan" to them. 

Yeah, dude seemed really specific on things. Nothing jumped out as utter hyperbole, aside from the general "we wrestled every day and twice on Sunday" that every guy falls into. Great interview. Liked him clarifying the Rocky story because, as he noted, half the wrestling community has claimed to be responsible for that.  Him riffing on Gagne's daughter was great. Is that the one that went to Larryland?

Edit: I never knew that Hogan/Hansen teamed. Pretty wild. Anything notable?

Forget about the standard "Hogan worked a different style in Japan" bulletpoint. Young Hogan had AMAZING footwork not just for a guy his size, but period.

Also, it's the best leg drop I've ever seen him do, and I've seen about a thousand.