DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

Best theories I've heard are that it's either an ancient, more primitive Sith weapon from before they realized the crossbar made no sense, or DIY job by some wannabe without the guidance of an actual Sith.

How does the crossbar not make sense? Actual swords have actual crossbars for actual good reasons. I don't see why that would be different for a lightsaber.

Best theories I've heard are that it's either an ancient, more primitive Sith weapon from before they realized the crossbar made no sense, or DIY job by some wannabe without the guidance of an actual Sith.

How does the crossbar not make sense? Actual swords have actual crossbars for actual good reasons. I don't see why that would be different for a lightsaber.

But lightsabers cut through anything that isn't lightsaber. The crossbar isn't all lightsaber. At least half of it - the half closest to the grip and thus the most likely to be struck by lightsaber sliding down - is metal. So I'm not sure how that's helping anything.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Are we going to get into the aerodynamics of the X-Wing next?  This is Star Wars.  Get out of here with that Star Trek 'splaining stuff. 

The saber looks cool. 

Okay, I'm a fan of Star Wars. I've watched the movies a bunch of times, I've played the video games, I've read some of the comics, but that's where it ends. I don't have much knowledge of the series outside of what I mentioned.

I didn't love the prequels. It's hard to believe that the same guy made both trilogies. Can someone explain the backlash against Lucas? Is it because the prequels weren't that good or is there levels to this shit?

Okay, I'm a fan of Star Wars. I've watched the movies a bunch of times, I've played the video games, I've read some of the comics, but that's where it ends. I don't have much knowledge of the series outside of what I mentioned.

I didn't love the prequels. It's hard to believe that the same guy made both trilogies. Can someone explain the backlash against Lucas? Is it because the prequels weren't that good or is there levels to this shit?

The prequels and well, you know, the Internet.

If you are arguing about handles or crossbars on a lightsaber you really need to reassess your life.  Just learn to enjoy it.  Be happy rather than moaning about how you would have done it better.

But he created this universe right? I just don't understand how people get on a guy about his own creations. Like I said, I didn't really like the prequels and I also don't have much knowledge in this area, I'm just attempting to understand why a ton of people are happy to see the creator gone from the franchise.

Mostly because most people aren't happy with what he's done over the last...  generation, really.

(I personally mostly like Revenge of the Sith, for the record.)

The prequels are generally hated (mostly deserved.)  The fourth Indy film (which, granted, he didn't direct) was pretty much hated (completely deserved.) 

The general consensus is either that he was never very good, just lucked into a classic and then had better people develop his ideas forward (I don't agree with that one, because it doesn't explain American Graffiti) or that he lost it at some point in between writing the story outline for Empire and jumping in to replace Spielberg on Jedi.

He probably shouldn't have written and directed the prequels. I think the general ideas are perfectly fine but the dialogue is mostly garbage, there is zero chemistry between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman and everything is bright/shiny as fuck. I know we've only seen 80 seconds of this J.J. Abrahams sequel but it already looks much grittier and worn down to me. Like the originals.

• Like 1

The first three movies were bad.  I get what he was trying to do but it could have been put into two and then toss a Clone Wars story into the third movie as a bridge to the fourth.  Something to bridge the 20+ years between the birth of Luke and Leia and the beginning of the fourth movie.

That inspired a ton of backlash against Lucas but the whining over a crossbar is just bad.

They never went with my bad Star Wars idea which would be a movie focused around the work of JarJar in the Galactic Senate shepherding bills through committees and working with his constituents.

They never went with my bad Star Wars idea which would be a movie focused around the work of JarJar in the Galactic Senate shepherding bills through committees and working with his constituents.

That would be incredible "Meesah gonna need a galactic filibuster!"

I love how everyone thinks that the crossbar is stupid, when just about every Jedi we've ever heard of has had their hand lopped off. 

This isn't meant to be a bitch, but the handle turns a lightsaber from a japanese style katana, into a western style sword. Just an observation, hopefully there will be a storyline exposition on it. 

But he created this universe right? I just don't understand how people get on a guy about his own creations. Like I said, I didn't really like the prequels and I also don't have much knowledge in this area, I'm just attempting to understand why a ton of people are happy to see the creator gone from the franchise.

I think a lot of the issue was the gap in the 80s into early 90s when there was very little new content, and then I suppose the early-mid 90s when there was more. Lucas more or less left things to develop in their own way and during that time a whole generation and a half sort of discovered Star Wars in their own way. They came to identify with it in a way that didn't always sync with the creator's intent. As they grew older, they actually had ways for it to sort of grow with them.

Then came Phantom Menace and there was a dissonance between what they saw it as and what he saw it as.

So you guys liked the trailer.

Because I don't. I didn't even know what I was watching. And by that I mean it just looked like some fan-made trailer filled with a lot of bullshit some Jedi cosplayer thought would be cool, like fucking soccer droids and light saber cross guards, but just would up looking like they were trying way too fucking hard.

Even the setting we're seeing. Is that Tattooine? Jesus Christ, enough with Tattooine.

A good trailer piques your interest.  This was a good trailer.

A bad trailer allows you to see the entire plot figure the movie out before you see the film.  

This was a good trailer.  You got little bits without telling you too much about the plot.

Lazy motherf****r can't ever twirl his own lightsaber.  Sad

No one should be twirling a lightsaber.  Lucas listened to idiots and turned Jedi into ninja and have them spinning weapons with an omni-directional cutting surface.

He got the fighting style right in the first movie.  Glowy part points at the other guy.

As far as the X-Wing aerodynamics go, it doesn't matter.   X-Wings weren't designed to fight in atmospheric conditions; they were designed to fight in space.

Even a brick is aerodynamically sound in a frictionless vacuum.