DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper) will write and direct Episodes VIII & IX.  Love, love, love this choice.

Me too, I think Looper is the best sci-fi movie in the last decade, though it was probably the worst marketed movies of all time.  I'm surprised it has taken this long for him to get a big franchise, because Looper should have put him on everyone's radar.  I need to watch Brick, it has an 80% on Rottentomatoes.

Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper) will write and direct Episodes VIII & IX.  Love, love, love this choice.

Me too, I think Looper is the best sci-fi movie in the last decade, though it was probably the worst marketed movies of all time.  I'm surprised it has taken this long for him to get a big franchise, because Looper should have put him on everyone's radar.  I need to watch Brick, it has an 80% on Rottentomatoes.

Brick is a movie that, based on its concept, should not work at all but is just phenomenal.

There's some dispute as to if he's directing Episode IX.

BUT FUCK YEAH. Johnson is awesome. BRICK and LOOPER are great movies, and his work on BREAKING BAD was stunning.

I'm a little surprised that JJ Abrams won't be continuing on with the series, but I think it's a much better idea to open up the sandbox to as many filmmakers as possible and not let it turn into any one person's play thing.

I'm endlessly impressed with Disney's choices for directors so far. I know JJ is divisive, and I'm not his biggest fan, but he makes sense for this franchise, being a guy who clearly fashions himself after early Spielberg. But beyond him, I think they're hitting homeruns. This new Star Wars universe is like the anti-Marvel model: Instead of flavorless product managers, they're going after fresh, distinctive cinematic voices. It's very exciting.

Brick is a movie that, based on its concept, should not work at all but is just phenomenal.

Looper is a movie I watched because they were doing construction on the sidewalk outside of my window one Saturday morning.  I probably wouldn't have watched it otherwise because of the whole marketing campaign was essentially "Look, we made Joseph Gordon-Levitt kind of look like Bruce Willis."  The movie took what was a very convoluted concept and made it work in a way that seemed simple.  One of the hardest things to do as a writer is to present complex concepts simply.  He can do that, and I'm very excited to see what he'll do with Star Wars.

I fucking loved Looper. Haven't seen Brick. This is awesome news. 

I think Abrams is a decent choice to get the franchise off the ground. It worked for his version of Star Trek. The first one was a decent movie that made me, someone who wasn't that big of a fan of the franchise, excited about the characters. I think that the last Star Trek movie sucked balls, but whatever.

I am really excited about Johnson, however.  

Damn, he's dropped a ton of weight. DDP Yoga?

During Star Wars Weekends, he said he's been on a diet of, "If it tastes good, don't eat it."  He also said he was eating popcorn that weekend and he was hoping his wardrobe for the movie would be very "robe-like."

Not sure if this was concept art for the deleted Jedi opening or not:

KnightOfPassage-SWGs7.jpg

As you say, it is Jerry Vandersteldt's take on the deleted scene from RoTJ where Luke finishes constructing his new lightsaber.  He has obviously take some artistic license with the source materiel.

Here is the full lithograph entitled "Knight of Passage":

aas000299SMALL.jpg

• Like 1

They are saying that it may delay the release date until Memorial Day which would leave Disney without a tentpole for Christmas of next year. I was pretty amped up about the movie until I learned that Ford is apparently the main focus of the movie. I really don't care to see a 70 year old Han Solo as the main character in a Star Wars movie. I was hoping for a focus on NEW characters. I didn't care if it was from the EU or something completely different but its been almost 40 years based on the same core story. 

Yeah I've kind of been thinking Han & Leia sacrifice themselves to save the day.

It'll be interesting to see how much to see how much they can actually keep secret in this day and age. I still have vivid memories of learning that Ep3 would end with a lightsaber battle on a volcano and being extremely excited.

The rumor is most of the movie involved Han and crew searching for a missing/lost/in hiding Luke Skywalker.  should be interesting.  It already sounds better than the prequels, but you could give me a trilogy of Jeff Jarret walking on Tattoinne, Hoth, and Endor, and it would be better than the prequels.  

jedi database

They are saying that it may delay the release date until Memorial Day which would leave Disney without a tentpole for Christmas of next year.

Good. Star Wars movies are meant to come out in May.

• Like 2

It already sounds better than the prequels, but you could give me a trilogy of Jeff Jarret walking on Tattoinne, Hoth, and Endor, and it would be better than the prequels.

Why am I bothering? But ok.

Phantom Menace - Decent to good movie. You hate lil Anakin? I think he does a fine job and I enjoyed seeing his backstory. The scene where he leaves his mom is kinda sad. The pod race is cool but too long. Darth Maul and Qui-Gon are both interesting, particularly Qui-Gon. I would have liked to see both characters fleshed out more. We see a younger Palpatine work his way into power. The final lightsaber fight is really good made even better by a masterful score. That whole movie has such a fantastic score.

Ok Jar Jar. Yes he's annoying and possibly mildly offensive. I've always made the arguement that the SW universe has hundreds of different alien races. Why do the gungans get so much shit? I'm not even gonna get into the whole these are movies aimed at children so you need some comic relief from time to time.

Attack of the Clones - This one even I have trouble defending and it's clearly the worst SW movie.

Revenge of the Sith - I think it's legit a good movie. Maybe even better than RotJ.

I'm not gonna keep going cause this is pointless but I feel like the hate these 3 movies get is largely unwarranted. It's become so engrained in people that these movies suck. It's all over pop culture. It's become one of those hive mind things where you hear something enough times it must be true. If you are truly a fan of the Star Wars univiverse you can't hate all 3 of these movies.

• Like 1

I don't hate any of them. In fact I don't mind any of them. I have my complaints about all three but lets not pretend like the first three movies are flawless. I think a lot of it has to do with the people who aren't fans of these movies grew up with the first set of movies and I have rarely seen anything from movies, to wrestling, to music where people say "I like this stuff that came out 20 years after the things I loved as a child". I don't mind them. I actually watch them every couple of years when Spike runs their Star Wars marathon. 

I don't hate any of them. In fact I don't mind any of them. I have my complaints about all three but lets not pretend like the first three movies are flawless. I think a lot of it has to do with the people who aren't fans of these movies grew up with the first set of movies and I have rarely seen anything from movies, to wrestling, to music where people say "I like this stuff that came out 20 years after the things I loved as a child". I don't mind them. I actually watch them every couple of years when Spike runs their Star Wars marathon. 

Empire is awesomeness, but the other two have flaws. I don't think the first one in particular has aged that well. Still a huge fan, but your right. . . 

I'm as big of a Star Wars fan as I know, I've read books, played games, watched movies and TV Shows, and all that shit, but Phantom Menace is damn near unwatchable for me.  It just sucks, it is everything that is wrong with Star Wars and very little of what is good.  It seems like they wrote based on what they could do with CGI instead of making a movie that made sense and was entertaining.  Attack of the Clones is not very good either.  I just didn't give a fuck about the characters.  We were supposed to believe that Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen were in love when their on screen chemistry was somewhere between indifferent and uncomfortable.  The villains in the movies were basically a pupu platter of senior citizens and cannon fodder and despite knowing that they were going to eventually win, I didn't think any of them were in the least bit threatening.  They aren't good movies in any sense of the world, whether or not they're Star Wars movies is pretty irrelevant.