DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

Episode I had the Lightsaber duel with Ewan MacGregor and LIAM FUCKING NEESON vs. RAY FUCKING PARK.  Outside of that, bleh.

II had nothing, although I did like Christopher Lee vs. CGI.

Episode III was good, but mostly because MacGregor and McDirmid decided to just say fuck it and try to out ham each other during the whole flick, and the 10 minute Obi-Wan vs Vader and Yoda vs Palpatine duel fights almost made up the rest of the Prequills, extrenious lightsaber flailing notwithstanding.

BTW in said lightsaber duel, how did the Emperor get the high ground on Yoda? Or are we not supposed to think about it?

because CGI

that's all I've got ;(

They all have good and bad moments. Phantom had a great lightsaber fight and even the most hardened Phantom detractor has to admit the podrace was pretty cool.

With the exception of every moment Anakin and Padme are on screen together, Clones wasn't bad. The speeder chase through Coruscant, Jango vs. Obi-Wan, Geonosis arena battle, and Yoda fucking up Dooku's shit were all good scenes. The droid factory was garbage, though.

Sith was good enough. Grevious was a non-character, but things picked up once Anakin turned. Admittedly my expectations had been lowered at this point, but I think if all the prequels had been at this level people wouldn't've bitched as much.

I thought Jar Jar was funny though, so what the fuck do I know.

That reminds me of one reason I hated the pod race.  That was the first thing (AFAIR) that soured me on the movie in the theater.  It was so obviously "We need an action scene here, and it should include a bunch of crap we can make toys and video games out of."  Plus the young kid wins the thing even though the others were cheating.  And IIRC the kid was saying "Wheeee!" and stuff, not even focusing and taking it seriously.  So dumb and clearly tacked on.  Watching it the first (and only) time I was like "I'm watching a toy commercial, not a movie".

The argument that people hate on the prequels just because it's the "in" thing?  Insanity.  You have no idea how bad I wanted to LOVE the first movie when I went into the theater.  But it sucked.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm misreading your tone, but I promise I really did want to love it when I bought my ticket and sat down in the theater.  I loved the original trilogy was a kid, loved the Zahn trilogy when it came out when I was in college, I dug the Special Editions more than many did since I liked the inclusion of old footage (Greedo shooting first was annoying, but I got past it).  I really wanted to like Phantom Menace.

Is it the worst thing ever?  Well, no.  But it's so, so, so, so far below what fans wanted and hoped for.  I mean, how can you screw this up?  Much of the backstory was already set and you know what the endpoint of the trilogy has to be.  By all rights it should have been unfuckupable.  So it was a huge disappointment when they fucked it up so badly.  I mean, Phantom Menace wasn't a zero out of ten.  But there is no excuse for it to be less than an 8 out of 10.  So when it was, like, a 4 or 5, that was really, really frustrating.  That's why there's so much negativity.  

No I believe you wanted to like it when it first came out. What kind of maniac is there for that movie thinking "Please suck so I can endlessly mock you."

Let's not get it twisted there are plenty of things from the prequels I could pick apart. It's just when the hate goes to far on something I turn into captain saveaho and feel compelled to mount a defense.

Standard 20% unless the wow me with service or hotness.

Anyways Ep 7 pondering... Do they keep with the EU and have Leia be a trained Jedi in Ep 7? I kind of have this feeling they are going to limit the heavy lifting for Carrie Fisher so no she will not be a Jedi.

Anyways Ep 7 pondering... Do they keep with the EU and have Leia be a trained Jedi in Ep 7? I kind of have this feeling they are going to limit the heavy lifting for Carrie Fisher so no she will not be a Jedi.

No idea since EU isnt the EU anymore and she might or might not be a Jedi

No shit. That's why I'm posing the question. Predictions, how would you like to see her character handled? That type of thing.

No shit. That's why I'm posing the question. Predictions, how would you like to see her character handled? That type of thing.

My bad miss read the question thought you were asking if they were keeping Leia as a trained Jedi.

I say no to Leia being a Jedi.  I think Luke should still be the last of the Jedi.  Have Leia in a more political role since that is what she was aspiring to in the original trilogy.  I'm just happy they are kind of fresh starting this thing.  As a kid I loved the characters from the OT.  As a teenager I longed for more Star Wars, stories about these characters.  The prequels gave me hope that I would learn where they came from, and why they were all in the positions they were in.  We got a little of that, but it was too late.  We got an overly complicated story about how a trade dispute turned into the overthrowing of a republic.  I just want to see where these characters I loved 30 years ago went, and how their lives have developed.  This seems like it will be way more character driven.  I hope.  

Maybe I'm misreading your tone, but I promise I really did want to love it when I bought my ticket and sat down in the theater.  I loved the original trilogy was a kid, loved the Zahn trilogy when it came out when I was in college, I dug the Special Editions more than many did since I liked the inclusion of old footage (Greedo shooting first was annoying, but I got past it).  I really wanted to like Phantom Menace.

Is it the worst thing ever?  Well, no.  But it's so, so, so, so far below what fans wanted and hoped for.  I mean, how can you screw this up?  Much of the backstory was already set and you know what the endpoint of the trilogy has to be.  By all rights it should have been unfuckupable.  So it was a huge disappointment when they fucked it up so badly.  I mean, Phantom Menace wasn't a zero out of ten.  But there is no excuse for it to be less than an 8 out of 10.  So when it was, like, a 4 or 5, that was really, really frustrating.  That's why there's so much negativity.  

I spoke on this before. I think a large problem with Star Wars is that a lot of people that dislike the prequels to the degree that they do are people that were KIDS or even teenagers when the first ones came out. When the first set of Star Wars movies came out I wasn't even born but its under my impression that it was just INSANE as far as special effects, the the scope of the movies. Didn't it damn near invent the big budget summer blockbuster flick? So as a kid watching that and then watching it hundreds of times over the years. You mentioned being in college around the early 90's. So of course when the prequels came out you were like "I'm watching a giant toy commercial" but if you were 12 or maybe even 15 years old the chances of you saying "I'm watching a giant toy commercial" would be close to zero because your mind doesn't work that way. 

Honestly in the history of the universe how many times has someone said "you know I idolized this certain subject as a child and now that I'm 30 years older and you've added onto it I like the new stuff BETTER". It doesn't happen that way. Look at pro wrestling, movies, music, etc. How many people today say "Man the music these days doesn't compare with when I was a kid" meanwhile kids absolutely love the stuff. I think its just a matter of age. How many 10 or 12 year olds that saw the Prequels watched them and thought "man these suck" obviously not many since the movies made a ton of money and kids bought a ton of toys. Its all just a matter of context. Do older people hate the movies? Yeah sure but lets face it even if Lucas made a flawless movie you're still not going to get the same feeling watching it as you did when you were 12 years old. 

As I said before. The movies debuted five years before I was born and I didn't watch them until the remastered VHS tapes came out when I was like 10 or 11. I thought they were ok but I wasn't running out to buy Star Wars toys. The first movie is ok if not a bit dull in parts. The second movie is pretty cool and I did enjoy it from the first scene on. The third movie was no better than Phantom Menace as far as toy commercial spots go. So yeah being removed from the media by about 15 years before I watched it the movies weren't the insane, end all be all flicks that people who watched them when they debuted felt they were. The originals were slightly above average movies and the prequels were adequate summer blockbusters. 

Honestly in the history of the universe how many times has someone said "you know I idolized this certain subject as a child and now that I'm 30 years older and you've added onto it I like the new stuff BETTER". It doesn't happen that way. Look at pro wrestling, movies, music, etc.

Well, it was only about 15 years, not 30, and I never said I liked it better, but I did quite enjoy the Thrawn trilogy. It's not like it can't be done. After the Thrawn books, I read another SW EU book (don't remember what) and hated it. I don't think that was because of the additional passage of time (like a year or less between finishing Thrawn and starting the other book) but because the Thrawn books were really good and this other book was garbage.

For pro wrestling, again I'm not sure I liked it better than the best stuff from the 80s, but I really really liked some WCW midcard and WWF main event stuff from the late 90s. And indie stuff from 2004-06ish. And I really liked some of the stuff from the MITB show last night. It's not like I think all pro wrestling today sucks. I mean, I'd put Rey vs Eddy from Halloween Havoc or the first Hell in a Cell or Joe vs Necro against pretty much anything from the 80s.

When Brian Wilson finally finished Smile, was it as good as I hoped? No, but it was much better than Phantom Menace. When Mission of Burma got back together after decades apart, I didn't love everything they did, but a couple of their newer songs are really great and I'd put them in my MoB top 10. Wire, Gang of Four, Slint, Public Enemy, Jesus Lizard... I've seen a bunch of bands get back together after long hiatuses and still put on great live shows (admittedly, in all cases except Wire, they were doing all/mostly old material). When I saw Iron Maiden a few years ago, I bet I enjoyed it as much as I would have back in the 80s.

Some of the last decade's superhero movies have been great, and I enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed reading the comics as a kid. On the other hand, some of those movies were pretty darn bad and very disappointing. Much like Phantom Menace was.

I mean, look at the critics' RT ratings:

Phantom Menace: 57%

Attack of the Clones: 67%

Revenge of the Sith: 80%

A New Hope: 93%

Empire Strikes Back: 96%

Return of the Jedi: 78%

Phantom Menace is far and away the lowest of the 6 movies. Most people thought it was a sub-par movie on its own terms (at least sub-par as compared to Eps 4-6). If you liked it, that's fine. I'm not telling you not to like it. I'm just saying that it was easily possible for them to have made a movie that would that would have been much more warmly received by fans.

I think Empire Strikes Back is as close to a perfect second act anywhere in fiction.  The good guys take an ass kicking that I don't think could even happen in movies these days.  The movie ends with Luke getting his hand chopped off by his evil dad.  Han gets betrayed by Lando and frozen in carbonite. Leia has to put here trust in the stranger who just betrayed Han and it just feels like there is no way that our heroes could overcome Vader and the Empire.  Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I'm a fan of the good guys getting their asses kicked.  If every movie ends with the good guys dancing with Ewoks who would ever give a fuck about whatever the heroes are going through.  I think the worst parts of modern movies is that everything always works out at the end and the villains never feel like a threat.  Darth Vader was a mother fucking threat and after Empire Strikes Back you thought that the good guys were doomed.  So I think that 96% on Rotten Tomatoes is a little low, that movie just works.

• Like 2

I think Empire Strikes Back is as close to a perfect second act anywhere in fiction.  The good guys take an ass kicking that I don't think could even happen in movies these days.  The movie ends with Luke getting his hand chopped off by his evil dad.  Han gets betrayed by Lando and frozen in carbonite. Leia has to put here trust in the stranger who just betrayed Han and it just feels like there is no way that our heroes could overcome Vader and the Empire.  Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I'm a fan of the good guys getting their asses kicked.  If every movie ends with the good guys dancing with Ewoks who would ever give a fuck about whatever the heroes are going through.  I think the worst parts of modern movies is that everything always works out at the end and the villains never feel like a threat.  Darth Vader was a mother fucking threat and after Empire Strikes Back you thought that the good guys were doomed.  So I think that 96% on Rotten Tomatoes is a little low, that movie just works.

Those movie is great, but from Han being frozen on(You could go later and say from Luke jumping) its so fucking tense. The escape from cloud city still sends chills up my spine,  and I've seen it probably dozens of times. . . 

Empire readers just last month voted Empire Strikes Back the best movie of all time. But most of them are at the exact right age for it to have made an impression when they were at their most impressionable.

It's funny watching Star Wars (It wasn't called A New Hope then, so it's not called A New Hope now) now, because at the time it was both applauded and criticised for being (the movie equivalent of) a high speed spotfest, with no time for selling or storytelling, just racing to the next big move. Whereas now, with everything that's come since then, it actually seems quite slow and quiet.

Also, swinging on a rope over a large drop used to be considered REALLY EXCITING~!