DVDVR Message Board

May 2024 Wrestling Talk

Meltzer mentioned on today’s show that Flair tried to quit drinking but he just wasn’t “happy” sober.  Holy fuck is that depressing.  That dude needed serious therapy probably 40 years ago.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Everyone here talking about Scott Putski based on some random WWF tag no one remembers and I'm like the only guy who seemingly remembers him from that brief period of time where they tried making him the ace of GWF.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, username said:

Everyone here talking about Scott Putski based on some random WWF tag no one remembers and I'm like the only guy who seemingly remembers him from that brief period of time where they tried making him the ace of GWF.

That's probably because late era Global exists in a vacuum where maybe 10 were left watching and then it unofficially became NWA Dallas under Crockett. Ironically, I think people might remember him in Crockett years and years earlier for like three weeks when he still at or just graduated from TCU. Doesn't exactly help that JCP was itself pretty much done then too.

The consistent theme is not exactly impressing people at every stop, unfortunately. With that kayfabe last name, and it taking almost 10 years to get on the radar, probably not the greatest sign. Hell, I think Bruce was there for his first Global stint. 

I am surprised this many people still remember him. Hell, I rewatched the entire year of 1994 and don't recall his brief appearance at the Royal Rumble. If you told me he dressed like a door to door encyclopedia salesman, I would have no choice but to believe you. It created that much of an impression on me and apparently others.

• Like 3

Oh my god I randomly googled Vader vs Steamboat and this random worldwide / power hour shit is incredible. Oh my goodness. Steamboat selling like he’s been shot, trying to fight off being choked by Harley Race like he’s actually being choked and desperately trying to fight back, accidentally knocking Vader down on a suicide dive and buying time by atomic dropping Harley over the top rope to the absolutely best sell ever of a bell clap to an actual sensical finish that really makes a ton of sense oh inject this into my veins 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

there's a Sting/Ricky Steamboat vs Nasty Boys match from Saturday Night in 1993 that I saw a few months ago and really enjoyed as Ricky Steamboat in peril against the Nasty Boys worked really well

that match isn't online, but there is a 20 minute YouTube for Flair/Sting/Steamboat vs Rick Rude/Nasty Boys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRGZd7RPG3Y

• Like 4

On 5/7/2024 at 5:36 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Putski was okay, but the lack of charisma was always gonna hurt him. Even getting on the gas didn't do much for his career. Didn't help that his leg exploded live on PPV. Brian Christopher/Lawler was pretty good worker. His personal demons though and lack of self awareness was always going to be his undoing. Also, the whole Jim Ross chiding and ridiculing Jerry on commentary about Brian's paternity. It was strange cause how is he going to get out of his old man's shadow if you keeping doing that? It took a goofy comedy gimmick to turn his fortunes around. 

For whatever the reason, I always liked Scott Putski in his brief and unfortunate WWF run and the subsequent WCW run. Obviously, I liked his physique and remember him doing a huracanrana in a match, back when you didn't see it in every single match on TV.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

For whatever the reason, I always liked Scott Putski in his brief and unfortunate WWF run and the subsequent WCW run. Obviously, I liked his physique and remember him doing a huracanrana in a match, back when you didn't see it in every single match on TV.

If you were making a random create-a-wrestler, it would have probably look like Putski at that point of his career. Probably means with only that, he's one of those random faces in the terrible battle royales from the WCW World War III PPVs to get thrown out off camera.

In WWF in 1997, they put him in the same division as TAKA (better than him by leaps and bounds), Brian Christopher (better than him), Tajiri (better than him also by leaps and bounds), and other guys who made random appearances like ultra indy-riffic Devon Storm and then career journeyman Jerry Lynn. He is no better than number 6 in a division WWF didn't put a lot of effort into. I just remembered Scott Taylor so he is easily bumped down to 7. For a guy who looks like a star, you cannot be that low.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Meltzer mentioned on today’s show that Flair tried to quit drinking but he just wasn’t “happy” sober.  Holy fuck is that depressing.  That dude needed serious therapy probably 40 years ago.

I said similar when he had his last Last match, but it's honestly so depressing that it kinda goes full circle to where I've almost got no choice but to oddly respect the steadfast digging in of the heels in the face of public shaming, common sense, and, y'know, fucking death.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2024 at 4:13 AM, elizium said:

leave it to Vince to use penis size as the determining factor

With the 6'->6" there's also a Spinal Tap joke in there somewhere, but as usual, I do no comedy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I said similar when he had his last Last match, but it's honestly so depressing that it kinda goes full circle to where I've almost got no choice but to oddly respect the steadfast digging in of the heels in the face of public shaming, common sense, and, y'know, fucking death.

It's a lot to unpack with him but the thing that just freaks me out is that this guy does not really know who the real person, Richard Fliehr, even is.  There's no person separate from the persona.  When there's no fanfare, no crowd, and no party or anything like that, does he just self-medicate to run from the emptiness?  Like the last thing he wants is to just sit with himself because there is no himself, just the character of "Ric Flair."  It just really does my head in to think about that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It's a lot to unpack with him but the thing that just freaks me out is that this guy does not really know who the real person, Richard Fliehr, even is.  There's no person separate from the persona.  When there's no fanfare, no crowd, and no party or anything like that, does he just self-medicate to run from the emptiness?  Like the last thing he wants is to just sit with himself because there is no himself, just the character of "Ric Flair."  It just really does my head in to think about that.

In addition to this, I also have to wonder that at his age and the mileage wrestling and substance abuse have put on his body if the early stages of dementia are starting to creep in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

In addition to this, I also have to wonder that at his age and the mileage wrestling and substance abuse have put on his body if the early stages of dementia are starting to creep in.

To be honest, it would be quite a miracle if it didn't. I mean it isn't even all that "early" at this point, if it is!

• Like 3

On a less serious note, I finally just watched the video from the pizza shop.  The real heroes of the video are:

1. The customer who offered to walk that aisle and fight Flair outside because he was being such an asshole and insulting an employee who can't just go fight people on the clock. 
  2. Darryl Hall and John Oates for the soundtrack to this shitshow.  Can't go for that, indeed.
  • Haha 9

if you were thrown into a situation of fighting 75 year old Ric Flair, would you chop him in the chest or would that be risking being charged for the death of Ric Flair after he Flair Flops to the ground

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

if you were thrown into a situation of fighting 75 year old Ric Flair, would you chop him in the chest or would that be risking being charged for the death of Ric Flair after he Flair Flops to the ground

Well since he can't stop being Ric Flair, the character, I'd play to that by either:

Flexing at him like Lex or Nikita, and then he'd beg off and there'd be no fight

or

I'd just wait for him to climb on something, then I'd effortlessly press slam him to the ground.

Please note: I just verified that JJ Dillon is still alive, so the prospect of me being hit with a shoe is still in play.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I have to be honest: despite the rather unsavory nature of this story, my inner child would take the wheel and I'd bump around for him like Darby. Possibly for a full hour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I have to be honest: despite the rather unsavory nature of this story, my inner child would take the wheel and I'd bump around for him like Darby. Possibly for a full hour.

Honestly, if fighting Ric Flair IRL doesn't involve a Dusty Finish, what are we even doing?

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Well since he can't stop being Ric Flair, the character, I'd play to that by either:

Flexing at him like Lex or Nikita, and then he'd beg off and there's be no fight

or

I'd just wait for him to climb on something, then I'd effortlessly press slam him to the ground.

Please note: I just verified that JJ Dillon is still alive, so the prospect of me being hit with a shoe is still in play.

I wouldn't hit him, but I'd flex my pecs at him until he'd submit! I have the pecs and the stamina. I wouldn't do anything physical with him, though. If he dies while chopping my chest, then so be it!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Darryl Hall and John Oates for the soundtrack to this shitshow.  Can't go for that, indeed.

See I'd be off to the side somewhere at a table trying to groove to the song while I had my delicious pizza then look over at what the ruckus was, annoyed that the vibe was killed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Doesn't Hogan have the same problem?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

You do a most muscular pose like Lex Luger. Instinct will kick in and he will beg off immediately without touching.

EDIT: sorry to Technico and Shartnado. I didn’t see their responses in my pursuit of a witty comeback. Great minds and all…

Edited by The Great ML
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

See I'd be off to the side somewhere at a table trying to groove to the song while I had my delicious pizza then look over at what the ruckus was, annoyed that the vibe was killed.

Fuck yeah, I'd be praying that "Out of Touch" was up next.  The long version.

44 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Doesn't Hogan have the same problem?

Hogan's issue is more he can't stop bullshitting.  But he seems to at least have some grasp of who Terry Bollea is as opposed to Hulk Hogan.  He did testify in court that Terry has a smaller penis so he does know they're different people.

Regarding the pizza place fiasco, maybe Taker and Kid Rock convinced Flair that there were kidnapped children in the basement.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

At minimum I'm letting him call the fight. "Ok, kid, I'm climbing the bar. Gimme the toss so I can sell, then get in place for the nut shot." I'd sell that figure four like a stab wound, too. 

• Haha 5